1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Different / Alternate Training Ideas

Perception and balance...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Heres a thing you can try, Stand on your good leg with the other of the floor in balance. Then shut your eyes, what happens next is the primory reason for you not improving your speed, understanding it is the key.
    I call it the Oral principal of balance, every thing I try reverts back to it. Keep getting some amazing results. Wonder if theres anybody out there, whos working in the same field.

Actually it shows, our balance isnt to good because off our eyes. The motorization of the body is affected by the eyes ears and mouth and neck posture and the inabiltey of the two eyes seeing the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by MD
    Scrap I am intrigued by this. The exercise standing on one leg with your eyes shut is basically a proprioception exercise. As far as I'm aware sensory nerves in the ankle for example, tell the brain that there is movement - once that movement reaches a certain point the brain then releases an impulse to contract the necessary muscles to maintain balance. The muscles generally overcompensate then the same thing happens on the opposing side. The greater the movement on either side means the poorer the balance is and has more of an effect on the equilibrium of the inner ear which detects the amount of movement and the velocity of the movement produced in the head.

The same principles can apply to multiple dynamic movements. The way I understand it, is that if you can decrease any additional movements apart from the desired ones, including head movement the muscles will receive the correct signals from the brain to produce the optimum movement.
    Basically for effect, and for you to feel what happens when you eliminate a primory sense what causes the problem. The head is at the top of the body for a reason, and its not so you take a better photo, different animal types have radar in different positions in their head for a reason, also different size attributes for doing so to alert the brain. I dont know about other speices, but our eyes are the only sense that doesnt go directly to the brain, and both eyes dont see the same thing. Eliminate the eyes and make the muscle neurons adapt to speed qiucker, thats one way. there are others md hit on one, non movement of the oral cavety, the head.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd like to see Duran work the bag with his head, if there is any footage anywhere. Likely more just for chit n giggles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I haven't seen it for myself, but I heard it first from Scrap, and later it was confirmed by Ron Lipton. Scrap said it's practicing the same motion used in slipping, hence you're not just playing Woody Woodpecker on the bag.

Perhaps it was also to strike fear into his opponents. Imagine an ex-con as terrifying as hell walk up to the bag and use his head to bang away at the speed bag in machine gun rhythm. Don't wanna mess with that mofo, something's not right about him...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lights, camera, action...
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    A great way to test your technique while sparring or punching the heavybag is to set up a video cam and tape yourself, and when you watch the tape, you can see your mistakes.
    (If it's your 1st time, you will find a shitload of mistakes)
    Quote Originally Posted by StrictlySP
    Upping the ante a little more, solo training exercise number two requires a TV. This particular drill takes the dynamics of shadow boxing to another level with the incorporation of "outside" visual stimuli and unpredictability. Here's what you do. Watch any boxing match on TV/Video and while doing so, strictly focus on one combatant, assume the role of the other fighter in your mind, and interactively shadow box him as he is fighting the other guy. You can work on the full spectrum of boxing skills with this exercise as well as isolate any particular element you'd like. In keeping with your inquiry, just isolate this exercise to work your defense only. Take note, one problem with this exercise is that your opponent is not front-facing as he would actually be. This can be a disorienting element for some. With that said, take this drill for what it can improve--recognition and reaction time development.

Alrighty, the final solo training exercise I'm gonna share requires a bit more time and effort to set up but is probably the best drill you can do to improve punch recognition, reaction time, and defensive timing all by yourself. Videotape yourself throwing front-facing punches at the camera (better yet, have a friend do it so you can incorporate more footwork). Start by following the same protocol I delineated for shadow boxing. Staying on track with defensive skill development, make videos that isolate each punch individually, both to the head and body. Initially film them rhythmically then progress to off-rhythm cadences, culminating with videos that incorporate all the punches coming at you head and body in free-form fighting fashion. For instance, have a friend film you strictly throwing jabs to the head at the camera. Begin with a rhythmic cadence with a sufficient time lag in between to allow you to work on single shots deliberately. From there, you can film yourself throwing single jabs to the head in faster frequency. You can proceed with double jabs integrating them with single jabs and doing so first with rhythm, ascending to off-rhythm, isolating head and body then integrating head and body shots together. Do this with each punch then integrate them all together. Anyway, use the videos you film to interactively train and fight yourself. So, after you make your videos, put 'em in, stand in front of your TV, and interactively fight yourself. In this case, practice your defenses against your video-persona throwing punches at you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jabbing technique:
    To stop the elbow lifting with your jab, stand with your left shoulder against the wall, in the boxing stance throwing the jabalong the wall .You will feel it in your shoulder after about a minute, relax, then have a rest, then do it again. This will help the muscle imbalance you have in your shoulder, And help your muscle memory

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oral Perception, speed and awareness:
    Ill give you a cracker, but you must have the basics before trying it you also need a partner of the same or simular standard. Get two valcro headbands and 4ft of elastic rope tie the velcro to the headbands, then each of you put them on. the secret is to always have tension on the rope and both move with your eyes shut. At first there will be a few problems with distance but given time it will give unbelievable awareness and speed, also oral perception its a cracker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Blocking Bodyshot Drill:
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    One way you can try but you need a partner. Get the partner to get 2 towels and put knots in the ends of both then holding them in either hand get him to try and hit you with the knots good fun teaches you the principle without the pain take it in turns

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Squating Exercise:

A nice one, get a fit ball put it behind you against a wall the centre of your back near the bottom of your back. Put your feet 9ins in front of you with your toes on a bit of 3x2 wood so the heels are lower than the toes by 2ins. Now drop the knees an inch every 10 secs until you reach the sitting position then come up using the same technique 5 times. The 3x2 is important it protects your cruciats its a nice one . Or use a skate board instead of the Ball.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trainer Mannie Seamon described a rather unusual training technique which Benny Leonard employed to help hone his celebrated defense:

“He was a fast boxer, so as to keep up his speed I used to put two boys in the ring with him together. He either jabbed one and watched the other, or feinted one and jabbed the other. If one missed him, and they often did, he knew he could take care of the other.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Improving the jab:
    Von Im worried about your jab, so heres a little thing you can do to help it get perfect or nearly.Stand in a corner with your leed shoulder against the wall and your back shoulder 5 ins off the other wall. now throw a jab along the wall keeping the shoulder against it and as you do drive the other shoulder into the back wall as you throw the jab. now you know where the back shoulder hit the walltape a handpad to it otherwise youll get a painfull shoulder. Make certain when you throw the jab the shoulder hits the chin, have fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scrap on Circling:
    Get a partner, put left hands together facing each other. Now move wherever you want one leading the way the other following, left right back forward. Take it in turns play ring around a roses if he goes left try changing by going right, play at it. Now when youve got that, tie your opposite feet thats you and your partners together so they are 4 ft apart with rubber, now it gets interesting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leg exercise that does not strain the knee:
    Theres one you can do with a fitball that will help CFH. Sit with your back to the wall nice and straight, with a leg over a fitball hip knee and foot in line. Pushing with your Hamstrings into the Ball and your foot pushed back to shins bend the knee so the Heel is pushing into the Ball, while all the time pushing the Hamstrings into the Ball with pressure. Then after 10 secs raise the foot and straighten the leg at the top hold for 10 secs always pushing down into the Ball with the foot bent towards the shin do it 3 times each leg. you will tremble well the muscles will keep correct form at all times, Enjoy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's funny to see how much of Scraps ideas fill these pages, anyways here's another one:
    Heres a Little number . Fit Balls again, Get 2 its one way . Get two against the wall with alittle bit of air out Fist both in the centres in a Boxing stance. Start punching the Balls, but dont lose contact with them, youre going as fast as you can with control. Moving the 3 to 4 inch it needs, you will tire qiuckly . when you have done that turn round and put your elbows against the Balls and use them against the Balls for short ressistance it works.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I gotta remember to add 'im when I see 'em.

Learning the uppercut
    A good way to learn the Biomechanics of the uppercut is with a fit Ball. Putting it against a wall with your back against it, rolling your back against it up and down while squatting and throwing the shot and not taking pressure of the ball not allowing it to drop. While turning the back foot and turning the fist palm upwards. Don't let the fist go past your nose.

Thread Information