Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Landing the Jab

Not saying do it just explaining which I think the coach in Sharlas gym is thinking as we know there are other ways to reach the same goal Donny its happened to us all I wouldnt recommend it
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh and Lords I had morning coffee, for 2 hours

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With your elbow pointing out your arm is going to curve when you extend it. The wrist has to turn to follow suit. It all depends on the target, and how you're going to get past their guard.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    With your elbow pointing out your arm is going to curve when you extend it. The wrist has to turn to follow suit. It all depends on the target, and how you're going to get past their guard.

sure the wrist turns as the forearm turns , however turning the wrist and bending the wrist are separate issue. . if you are throwing the punch properly, whether the hook, upper cut , ect. you should have no bend in the wrist... bending the wrist will not help you find your target only cause long term problems. .

I can say with certainty that I have never bent my wrist throwing any punch . .. the forearm , wrist and fist become one, str8 as an arrow on impact .

if your wrist is bent especially on a solid impact shots your looking at a host of problems in short period of time. not a habit to get into .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Oh and Lords I had morning coffee, for 2 hours

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.

sure the wrist turns as the forearm turns , however turning the wrist and bending the wrist are separate issue. . if you are throwing the punch properly, whether the hook, upper cut , ect. you should have no bend in the wrist... bending the wrist will not help you find your target only cause long term problems. .

I can say with certainty that I have never bent my wrist throwing any punch . .. the forearm , wrist and fist become one, str8 as an arrow on impact .

if your wrist is bent especially on a solid impact shots your looking at a host of problems in short period of time. not a habit to get into .
    And that my friend is why I was careful not to say "bend" the wrist. Turning your wrist as in rotating your fist is what I meant.

I agree with you if you have a bend in your wrist at the moment of impact that's where the damage is going to be. When your punch lands your fist and forearm should be straight on. This is good for other reasons to, for one you want to sprain your wrist and for two you don't want to lose leverage in your punch. Now having your wrist sprained is very likely if you're the kind of fighter that keeps it loose right until the point of impact. This is because an opponent is a moving target for crying out loud, you're going to have to adjust your punches either by shortening them or lengthening in order to land your punch. You may decide that you need to curve your punch so that you can get around your opponent's arms, and even your feet are going to affect your punch is thrown. It depends on the target, and what you're trying to do.

Anyways I see what you mean, and I'm not trying teach here, I'm just adding onto what you said.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the wife pieced this together. I am in awe of her computer abilities .

This is a pretty a good example on how to use the jab to set off the left hook. I remember this was a topic a month or so ago??

Tua vs. Nicholson a few years back.. The first knockdown notice the jab to the head, then the left hook comes right off that , just whip it right out there and see what happens. . .,, the final knockout out shot is a jab to the body which sets up the final hook to the head.

Note the jab is such an important tool even for a short fighter .. It sets everything up , nothing has to be all that fancy or cute , . Having the basic fundamentals is most important , a bit of determination factor , accompanied with decent power can go along way in closing the show.

[youtube=425,350]dASi84Pdh6I[/youtube]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's great LG, you be sure to thank your wife.

Talking about that the jab is great for setting a guy up. Seeing how Tua caught that guy is just like the way that a successful double jab works. The second jab often at times owes it's success to what the first jab accomplished. The initial jab can make them react in different ways which can give you that brief moment to land another punch.

Possibly what was the case with Nicholson during that brief moment following Tua's jab is that he might have thought that the attack was over, or that Tua was going to follow up with a different technique. The result was that Tua's left hook appears to come out of nowhere before Nicholson could respond. Anyways these kind of instances remind me on how Roy Jones Jr. was able to land a lot of shots, by using his a feint or a quick lead to distract his opponent, and by not giving them enough time to react he nails them with a power shot.

I like training with the speedbag because of the hair-trigger reflexes that it calls for. I don't usually do the the typical bicycle like drum-roll that you'd see on the speedbag, I prefer to work the speedbag with real punches at real time like I would against a real opponent. I'd use my footwork to position myself to land the left hook, small side-steps circling to the left and right of the bag, and the drum roll out real combinations, jab... step... left hook... right hand. Sometimes with a plan to set up punches, but more often building those quick reflexes so my body will have it down when I'm in the ring.

By the way LG, I appreciate your posts and your wife's help. If I were you I'd go out of my way to persuade your wife to help you get this great stuff out. I'm looking forward in seeing more from you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Top man Chis cc.. glad you enjoyed !

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One little point, you cant turn your wrist impossible its the elbow joint that does the dirty deed hope this helps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's just a figure of speech.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi,
    Actually you have a point here.Jack Dempsey, in his book "Championship fighting..." advocates the use of a left jolt instead of a left jab.What he says the use of left jab for setting up for punches is the idea of poorly informed coaches and in due time that idea became the norm.
    The left jolt is actually the left jab thrown with a falling step.According to JAck,(for me also from practical experience) the left jolt is the most powerful of the punches.
    He says even if the left jolt seems more commited it has the same risks of being countered as the left jab but where most left jabs can't even knock off the hat of the head of a person the left jolt can wipe the face of the opponent and it can be a knockout punch by itself.

Thread Information