Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Being a hypothetical Promoter

Imagine you are about to be a boxing promoter and you needed to choose your fighters. Which fighters in each weightclass would you choose? (ONLY ONE PER WEIGHT CLASS to make the decision harder)? Would you choose your fighters based on being the best, bringing in the most money, being a big name, a young up-and-comer, or a seasoned veteran, etc? Also, if you have the time, why you chose each fighter.

MY FIGHTERS (I'll start at Junior Featherweight cause I don't really follow the lower divisions)

Jr. Featherwt - Israel Vasquez (people pay to see exciting fighters)

Featherwt - Jorge Linares (only 21 years old and can only get better)

Jr. Lightwt - Manny Pacquiao (in his physical prime, huge fan-base, and the most fan friendly fighter to watch in a LONG TIME)

Lightwt - Juan Diaz (undefeated and young)

Jr. Welterwt - Ricky Hatton (has a whole country backing him up as well)

Welterwt - Miguel Cotto (another fighter that has his country on his shoulders. also a young hungry fighter. I would choose mayweather but i feel him teasing with retirement and not fighting the rightful opponent would frustrate me as a promoter)

(skipping Jr. Middlewt, pretty dead weight class)

Middlewt - Kelly Pavlik (finally got his name on the map and i would love to be the one representing him after he takes the belts from Taylor)

Super Middlewt - Mikkel Kessler (same reason as Pavlik except taking the title from Calzaghe)

(skipping Lt Heavywt and Cruiserwt)

Heavywt - Vladimir Klitschko (overall the best heavyweight out there)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Being a hypothetical Promoter

wow,

championship manager: boxing edition...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Id pick a bunch of mid-level fighters,they dont have enough money to afford to sue you,and you can dictate their purses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

These are the divisions i would want to be involved with.

Junior Light, Manny Pacquiao, because his fan base and he is exciting to watch.

JUNIOR WELTER, Ricky Hatton just because he have a loyal fan base and can make lots of money off him even after he lose to floyd.

WELTERWEIGHT, i would have to pick miguel cotto because i think i can make the most money off him in the shortest time because his fan base, although i don't think he will be around long.

Middleweight, Jermain Taylor because he has the look of a champion and the talent to go with it, the most money can be made with him if he keep winning. He will also knock Kelly Pavlik out.

LT HEAVY, Chad Dawson, because he is young and i think there is no one in the division that can beat him and i think he will be around a real long time.

HEAVY, Sam Peter, because he is the most exciting heavy i would just make sure he doesn't fight WLAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I seen sumo wrestlers with better boxing ability than the standered of heavy weight boxers thesedays

...so i would just steer clear of that division...i think people prefer faster pace fighting at the moment so id go with Middle to Light heavy's
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Light-Fly: Calderon. The Puerta Ricans will get behind him and he'll make some decent money.

Super-Fly: Jorge Arce. His name sounds like "Hairy Arse" and it makes me giggle.

Bantam: Gerry Penalosa. Always gives his all.

Super-Bantam: Rafael Marquez. People are going to pay to see him fight. He's the new Corrales.

Feather: Linares. 21, going to keep getting better and he's a WBC title holder now Chi has gone to star in a Jackie Chan movie.

Super-Feather: Valero. Young and only going to get better & better.

Light: Juan Diaz. The guy wants to become a lawyer when he quits the sport. Making something of himself and having a plan for after boxing makes him a credit to the sport. He's also the best Lightweight around.

Light-Welter: Ricky. Favourite fighter, and he'd be a real good laugh to work with.

Welter: Cotto. Extremely marketable.

Light-Middle: Mayorga. He promotes himself with his mouth which would make my job alot easier.

Middle/Super-Middle: Edison Miranda. Despite losing to Pavlik, Miranda will be a champion one day. He's the new Mayorga for me, only I'd say his chin is more reliable.

Cruiser: I'd say Big Mac right now. I prefer Haye as a fighter, but he'll be a Heavy before too long, and Mac just improves every time I watch him.

Heavy: Butterbean. He's so fat, I'd promote him as 2 fighters, so it'd be getting 2 fighters for the price of 1.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

105: Eagle Kyowa - He could dominate this division, now that Calderon has moved up
    108: Ivan Calderon - High profile fight for him, big win, everything is looking up for him
    112: Daisuke Naito - Exciting fighter, crazy hair, there are a lot of options open for him.
    115: Christian Mijares - I can only see W's for him now on
    118: Jhonny Gonzalez - my favorite boxer, win or lose, I'd back him
    122: Israel Vazquez - Had some huge wins last 3 fights were candidates for FOTY
    126: Jorge Linares - 8 and 9 punch combinations, he's got some mad skills and at 22 he's got some years left
    130: Manny Pacquiao - always exciting has a good streak going
    135: Juan Diaz - May not be the strongest, but he's always in the fight, non-stop punching
    140: Ricky Hatton - All I have to say is "Blue Moon" and people will pay whatever I want
    147: Floyd Mayweather Jr. - Any fighter not in my stable, I could challenge against PBF in a super fight
    154: Joel Julio - He's got the power that people want to see, as long as I don't put against anyone with a good jab, he's gonna look good.
    160: Kelly Pavlik - All the excitement one could want in this division
    168: Mikkel Kessler - got a lot of years ahead of him, Calzaghe should be retiring soon, there really isn't anyone else in the division to give him any problems.
    175: Glen Johnson - My 2nd favorite fighter, incredible pressure he's never in a boring fight
    200: Marco Huck - Young, fresh and as long as he doesn't get KOed he has the judges on his side
    200+: Sam Peter - Amazing power, relentless, even when he loses he's exciting
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Thread Information