Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Young Powerhouse Kiko Martinez could challenge Caballero next!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Young Powerhouse Kiko Martinez could challenge Caballero next!

http://sports.setanta.com/en/Sport/N...locale/boxing/

According to this article on the Setanta boxing website, Celestion Caballero is eyeing up Kiko Martinez as his next opponent for his WBA Super Bantamweight title, after Martinez demolished the European holder of the title, Bernard Dunne, in 86 painful seconds in Dublin at the weekend.

However, the Spaniard's camp have said they'd prefer to defend their new European title before going on to higher challenges first.

Personally, I have no idea who to pick if they did both meet, however I might lean towards Martinez. Caballero is freakishly tall for his weight, and Martinez is slightly short for the weight, so in that case it would be a bit of a mismatch, but I tend to think that Martinez would walk through Caballero's jabs, then destroy him to the body and occasionally switching upstairs as Caballero protects his ribs. But, Martinez isn't that cultured, so Caballero might be too canny for him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Young Powerhouse Kiko Martinez could challenge Caballero next!

Was not impressed with Caballero in his last fight, he didn't use his height advantage very well at all and to me lacks the smarts to be a top a lister in this division. He would be destroyed by Vazquez and Martinez and i think Kiko would beat him too!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd back Martinez, he has excellent power for the super bantam division. However if he did win a world title now, what wold he do with it?
    Great power but little skill, when he comes up against an equally powerful yet far superior skilled fighter (i could only be speaking of Ponce De Leon,) he may find himself in trouble.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he's too young, both physically and in terms of experience to ready to win a title from someone like Caballero.

Caballero handled an unrefined Ponce De Leon without problems, and I'd expect he'ddo the same here, especially the suprise factor has now gone for Martinez.

I'd even expect Dunne to beat him in a rematch now he knows just what he's in for.

Martinez was unknown before and caught Dunne cold, it's hard to imagine him being able to do that again.

He could become a great fighter but with only 17 fights and 21 years old he's a bit too green to be challenging the best just yet.

Let him a few more fights first.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Caballero is the most underrated champion of all the belt holders right now. Martinez was great against Dunne, but if he takes this fight I can see a role reversal for him. Caballero is a monster at this weight, and is very talented.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    I think he's too young, both physically and in terms of experience to ready to win a title from someone like Caballero.

Caballero handled an unrefined Ponce De Leon without problems, and I'd expect he'ddo the same here, especially the suprise factor has now gone for Martinez.

I'd even expect Dunne to beat him in a rematch now he knows just what he's in for.

Martinez was unknown before and caught Dunne cold, it's hard to imagine him being able to do that again.

He could become a great fighter but with only 17 fights and 21 years old he's a bit too green to be challenging the best just yet.

As much as id like to agree with u i d0nt! and it wont be happenin for a while cos dunnes trainers want no part of him....Altho i think beating Martinez is the only thing which can save dunnes career over here.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn
    Caballero is the most underrated champion of all the belt holders right now. Martinez was great against Dunne, but if he takes this fight I can see a role reversal for him. Caballero is a monster at this weight, and is very talented.
    You haven't seen him fight have you?
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think if Ponce De Leon gets Caballero again he would knock him out! Martinez will do the same, Caballero is nothing special at all!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

As much as id like to agree with u i d0nt! and it wont be happenin for a while cos dunnes trainers want no part of him....Altho i think beating Martinez is the only thing which can save dunnes career over here.
    Why do you think Dunnes career needs saving?

He's Irish, all he needs to do to is stay ranked in the top 50 and he's guaranteed to sell out any arena in Northern Ireland and the States.

Never has a country made more noise over such few acomplishments as Ireland.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Irish People aren't behind him now, believe it or not dunne is one of the highest paid fighters in all of europe due to sponsorships and generally benefits of being an undefeated fighter. But he's lost his aura, people are smuggly nodding and saying "i told u so."
    He has stated in the last couple of days he doesn't no where his career goes from here.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn
    You haven't seen him fight have you?
    Yeah, seen him fight a couple of times. What makes you say that?

By a monster...I mean his height.

Thread Information