Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default boxing combo's

hello everyone, just wanted to ask what combo's are used by fighters and what works best for each fighter

my ones are

1) jab, jab, cross, left hook, right uppercut, left hook

2) left hook to the body, left hook to the head, right to the head

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: boxing combo's

How would you set your opponent up to land your combination? I think that pre planned combinations makes for a predictable fighter. What happens when you're trying to throw your favorite combo and your opponent punches in between your sequences while avoiding your own punches? Understand that when you become focussed on just throwing a pre-planned combination that your attack can become a predictable pattern that a decent fighter can counter or avoid altogether. The same applies for any preset plan or preset anything.

Now look at guys such Julio Cesar Chavez, their punches may have looked like a simple combination that they just so happened to throw but actually it started out as a counterpunch. You see to them there's probably not a punch that their opponent throws that they can't counterpunch. A good counterpuncher will make their opponent throw the punch that they want to counter.

Combinations are great because it can spread out an opponent's defense especially against people assume a rigid defense such as the squared up hand high and tight defense that most fighters today are brought up in. Against an opponent with a nice flexible defense who decides to stay out of range and makes you do most of the leading, throwing a combination would be ineffective if you can't hit anything. Look at how Pernell Whittaker fights and think how would you be able to even lay glove on him. Boxing isn't always as easy as pick your spot and name your shot. The thing is that boxing at its highest level requires you to set up your punches in order to land anything. This can be practiced on the bags or in the ring, throwing counters off the slip, learning how to counter each kind of punch, and later on learning how to set your opponent up.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We had a massive post on this once where is that, Page 115 or something
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    How would you set your opponent up to land your combination? I think that pre planned combinations makes for a predictable fighter. What happens when you're trying to throw your favorite combo and your opponent punches in between your sequences while avoiding your own punches? Understand that when you become focussed on just throwing a pre-planned combination that your attack can become a predictable pattern that a decent fighter can counter or avoid altogether. The same applies for any preset plan or preset anything.

Now look at guys such Julio Cesar Chavez, their punches may have looked like a simple combination that they just so happened to throw but actually it started out as a counterpunch. You see to them there's probably not a punch that their opponent throws that they can't counterpunch. A good counterpuncher will make their opponent throw the punch that they want to counter.

Combinations are great because it can spread out an opponent's defense especially against people assume a rigid defense such as the squared up hand high and tight defense that most fighters today are brought up in. Against an opponent with a nice flexible defense who decides to stay out of range and makes you do most of the leading, throwing a combination would be ineffective if you can't hit anything. Look at how Pernell Whittaker fights and think how would you be able to even lay glove on him. Boxing isn't always as easy as pick your spot and name your shot. The thing is that boxing at its highest level requires you to set up your punches in order to land anything. This can be practiced on the bags or in the ring, throwing counters off the slip, learning how to counter each kind of punch, and later on learning how to set your opponent up.
    Thats just what I was thinking when I saw the thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I learn from the best.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre
    We had a massive post on this once where is that, Page 115 or something
    I can't remember it, maybe it got lost. If you can remember what year it was made I'll take see if find it.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I think the best combos come from a contact reflex or both that and visual reflex, built around someones over reactions to being hit , moved or lied to.
    (Yep Im stealing 'the lied to' analogy from a recent post..good one that).
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1) Double Jab, Left Hook.
    2)Right hand, Left Uppercut, Right Hand.
    3)Right Uppercut, Right Hook, Left Hook Rightt Hand.
    4)Jab, Right, Left Hook, Right hand, right, jab, right hook left uppercut.
    5)Jab, Right, Left uppercut.

there some my favs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre
    Yeah I think the best combos come from a contact reflex or both that and visual reflex, built around someones over reactions to being hit , moved or lied to.
    (Yep Im stealing 'the lied to' analogy from a recent post..good one that).
    Reading what you wrote, Shane Mosely comes to mind by how he set up his punches bases off the cuff and right off his opponent's reactions. He would block/parry and punch almost simultaneosly all to set up his flurries.

When I was thinking about my shadow boxing I realized that an opponent would probably be reacting to my every move. After I slip their punch, or land my own punch it ought to bring about a reaction from my opponent. I also think that in a lot of instances you can plan around their reactions. Let's say for instance you side-step their punch and they have to turn to face you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    These two seem pretty tricky from the point of view of being able to make them nice fast, fluent and balanced - any particular tricks to it you can educate me on hitmandonny?

Is no 3 for working in close only or do you widen the angle of your elbow for the hooks so that they're long punches?

Tricky footwork for no 4? Moving from the outside to in close?

Realistically I usually only land combos with 3 or 4 punches max - perhaps due to my opponent's movement/retaliation aswell as my own balance - but it'd be nice to be able to land longer ones!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    These two seem pretty tricky from the point of view of being able to make them nice fast, fluent and balanced - any particular tricks to it you can educate me on hitmandonny?

Is no 3 for working in close only or do you widen the angle of your elbow for the hooks so that they're long punches?

Tricky footwork for no 4? Moving from the outside to in close?

Realistically I usually only land combos with 3 or 4 punches max - perhaps due to my opponent's movement/retaliation aswell as my own balance - but it'd be nice to be able to land longer ones!
    No.3 is one i was jus taught at the start of this summer at a pro camp. The pad holder holds his right pad low and directly in fornt of his body out about 10 inches, and on contact brings it back for a normal right hook, this means u are moving from outside distance to inside distance very quickly. The subsequent, right hook, left hook and straight are all inside punches and are all pretty quick.
    No.4 Im lucky iv got a long reach so i Kinda have a "mid-range" where i can work outside n inside at the same time. n thats kinda jus what i do, work both consecutively. But as regards foot work, its probably a combination best used in an exchange just Stepping and pivoting. A slip can also be inserted between the two right hands if u wish to switch it to the body or if ur under pressure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC thanks hitmandonny - perhaps still a little advanced for me to pull off in sparring just yet but I might start trying to get a feel for no 3 on the bag.

Now just in case I still don't get it .......the no 3 is a long right uppercut to the body (perhaps solarplexis or under the ribs??) from outside and then rest on the inside. Maybe something to use when you're coming in underneath an opponents jab trying to cut distance before attacking inside? maybe especially good for an opponent which is already almost suck on the ropes or when they are moving in towards you and making it easier to cut the distance?

- no 4 sounds like it's not appropriate for short s**ts such as myself but still interesting thanks
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I tend to launch no.3 from a slip.
    He jabs i get his left ribs, meaning i dont travel to far, go up with the right hook, pivot the left foot on the LH and finish with a right, then i run

Ya no.4 is pretty cool!

Stiil one of the toughest combos to truly master is the double jab, right hand left hook, but it can be unreal!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never have more then a few,write them down while trying to visualise what your trying to achieve
    Then go work them on the bag to create memory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I tend to launch no.3 from a slip.
    He jabs i get his left ribs, meaning i dont travel to far, go up with the right hook, pivot the left foot on the LH and finish with a right, then i run

Ya no.4 is pretty cool!

Stiil one of the toughest combos to truly master is the double jab, right hand left hook, but it can be unreal!!!
    Ahh thanks hitmandonny CC - I can picture it now

Thread Information