Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Rugby World Cup 2007

Seen no mention of it on here, anybody else watching?

Huge shock in the opening game on Friday evening as Argentina beat the host nation and one of the big favourites, France 17-12.
    Day 2 brought us the mighty New Zealand, tournament favourites, who romped to an easy 76-14 victory over decent Italy. Then Australia gave lowly Japan their now customary hammering, 91-3 in Lyon. Last up were a DIRE England team who only managed to beat the semi-professional U.S.A. by 28-10 in Lens. Not looking good for the reigning champions after that performance and I think South Africa will crush them on Friday when they meet... hell, maybe even Samoa can turn them over too and knock them out at the group stages!
    Tomorrow (Sunday) will bring Wales vs. Canada, with Wales looking average at best as of late... then it will be fireworks as two of the most physically powerful teams in world rugby collide in Paris, South Africa vs. Samoa! A Scotland in crisis take on tournament debutants Portugal after that and then tournament darkhorses Ireland will be expected to rack up a huge score on an amateur Namibia team on Sunday evening.

Anyone watching? Any Predictions?
    I think New Zealand will lift the cup at the end, not only because they have the best players, but because they have so much depth too... they can take injuries without any real weakening of the team, something that is vital in a sport like rugby where injury is commonplace.
    They looked damn good against Italy, even though they were only having fun... serious talent in that team!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rugby World Cup 2007

Is this on any station in the US? I really enjoy watching rugby, but we never seem to see many broadcasts in this country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Canvasback
    Is this on any station in the US? I really enjoy watching rugby, but we never seem to see many broadcasts in this country.
    I'm not sure if it is on TV in the US or not...
    The U.S.A. team are improving every year, so hopefully it will start to get more exposure over there, especially because you can see lots of similarities between it and American Football. The U.S.A. did real good today against one of the superpowers of world rugby, England. It would be awesome to see them become a genuine force!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tomorrow we will see the amazing "turbo charged winger", Bryan Habana of South Africa. He is electric when he gets the ball in space!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw8y7j8edpA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Canvasback
    It on Setanta.com. You can go to their website and find your local venue but they're charging $10 or $20 a game.

Alternatively you can get a year of Setanta direct to your PC for $150.

I really think it's between the Kiwi's, Aussies and Springboks with the NZers being the bigger favourites. I do think the Rugby World Cup gets one million times better after the initial group stages...
    I'm never drinking again (I am a liar)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will watch every minute of every game. A proper sport (I was flicking between the rugby and the football on Saturday and itwas amazing to see the footy players disrespecting the ref, diving and gettung 'hurt' all the time)

The TRi-Nations countries have looked ruthless, while all the Northern hemishpere countries have had a shock, though most have puuled through. I think having tougher games at the beginning helps, as the players are getting used to be in tight situations while the NZ etc may choke (again) when in a tough game? Have theFrench blown it ..... they only perform when they are underdogs?

Great tournament, I still think its a NZ - South Africa final.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X
    I will watch every minute of every game. A proper sport (I was flicking between the rugby and the football on Saturday and itwas amazing to see the footy players disrespecting the ref, diving and gettung 'hurt' all the time)
    That is the reason I don't watch it much anymore (the club games anyway)... so much fakery going on and the players are way overpaid, there is very little pride left in the jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by X

The TRi-Nations countries have looked ruthless, while all the Northern hemishpere countries have had a shock, though most have puuled through. I think having tougher games at the beginning helps, as the players are getting used to be in tight situations while the NZ etc may choke (again) when in a tough game? Have theFrench blown it ..... they only perform when they are underdogs?

Great tournament, I still think its a NZ - South Africa final.
    Yeah man,
    The most impressive sides have been New Zealand and South Africa for sure. Australia were good against a poor Japanese side, so it is difficult to pass judgement on them yet...
    The South Africa vs. Samoa game was awesome! Very physical stuff and you rarely see the South Africans getting smashed back in tackles as was happening yesterday. Those Samoans are monstrous! Henry Tuilagi in particular, total monster! Did you see brian Lima knock himself out by tackling the South African so hard at the end? Legend.
    Bryan Habana grabbed himself 4 tries... early signs are he could be the top try scorer in the tournament if he stays injury free. He is so dangerous! If you give him even an inch, he will take a mile.
    Ireland, Wales and Scotland all looked very shakey yesterday to be honest... hopefully it is just a mentality they are in because they are playing the lower ranked teams. They'll need to seriously up their games if they are to get out of their respective groups though.
    France are very hot and cold... I wouldn't write them off just yet, but I agree that they haven't done themselves any favours with their performance against Argentina. Why the hell is Laporte playing Heymans at full back? Argentina killed them with the high ball because Heymans is not a fullback... he isn't supposed to be catching balls as much he was against Argentina. Though, having said that, Poitrenaud isn't much better under pressure even though he is a natural full back... dilemma for France!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Argentina V France was a fantastic match. Argentine defence seemed impenetrable at times, altho the french still looked good. Cheval made a difference, as did michelak but his kicking was muck.

Irish win was a huge let down. For a team dubbed "the best irish team ever," they seemed dull slow and stale. Their handling was attrocious and Im counting my lucky stars we didn meet argentina or france in our first match. ROG is injured now 2

Was surprised england only beat usa by only 18, thought they would have assinated them.
    New zealand appeared as good as always as that italian squad is rugged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been watching it here in OZ!

I was really pulling for France in the first match so I was pretty dissapointed when the lost to Argentina.
    I stayed up the second night to watch Australia play Japan but went to sleep early in the second half as it really wasn't much to watch. The Japanese were an average of something like 25 pounds per person lighter than the Australians, so the just didn't have the brute force to run with any of the bigger nations. I think we are playing Wales tonight. I heard on the radio this morning that Wales weren't amazingly impressive in their first game, but Australia is still preparing for a tough match up.
    Or I could be a day behind. I didn't watch any last night, but they are having a match or 2 here each night.....
    I'm originally from Wales, and i'm also not hugely patriotic when it comes to Australian sporting teams, so Welsh, Irish, English,,, i'm rooting for them all....
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually haven't seen heard anything from the welsh yet! Dont even no their group!!!!

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What channel are showing the games in the UK? I havent seen any.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

World Cup
    France 12-17 Argentina

Australia 91-3 Japan
    England 28-10 USA
    New Zealand 76-14 Italy

Ireland 32-17 Namibia
    Scotland 56-10 Portugal
    South Africa 59-7 Samoa
    Wales 42-17 Canada
    ---------
    New Zealand certainly lived up to their 'favourites' tag.
    Superb victory by Argentina over France.

South Africa came good after a tough start against the always physical Samoans while Australia were dominant and had a fairly easy win over Japan.

Wales and Scotland had dodgy patches but came good while Ireland and England were quite frankly poor.
    Wales struggled with Canada and were trailing at half time but in the 2nd half they took control of the game and ran in a few tries. Good game and was impressed by Canada.
    ----------

Looks like captain Phil Vickery is out of Englands crunch game against South Africa and it's unlikely that Johnny Wilkinson will play.
    I honestly can't see England beating South Africa.

Ireland have the toughest job to qualify as Argentina pulled off an upset over France. Ireland are probably going to need to beat both to qualify. Though if they beat France then they are fine.

Out of the home nations I thought Ireland were going to go far but after a dodgy run-in to the Cup and this latest performance I think were all doomed.

Italy vs Scotland is going to be a huge game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    What channel are showing the games in the UK? I havent seen any.
    ITV have shown every game so far... the next match is Argentina vs. Georgia tonight at 7.00pm I think. Should be a walkover for the Argies!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

iv got an awful feeling its gunna be a bad tournament for the six nations teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    iv got an awful feeling its gunna be a bad tournament for the six nations teams.
    It has certainly started off like that... France and Italy losing. Then Ireland, England, Wales and Scotland all under performing badly against teams they would be expected to beat comfortably. Not looking good for the northern hemisphere...

Thread Information