Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Training regimes of various fighters

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Training regimes of various fighters

Chris Eubank

Starting the Monday morning after a championship fight

At 6am I would do 50 sit-ups followed by either a 7.8 mile run, a 7.8 mile cycle, or beach running which was mixed in with sprinting up steep steps on the cliff tops. I would usually do 2 or 3 days of each.

Then at mid-afternoon the regime was as follows:
    15 minutes of stretching,
    15 minutes of shadow boxing - but not just using my fists; using my feet and body to develop agility,
    3 to 6 rounds (of 3 minutes each) on the heavy bag - moving around it; playing with it,
    3 rounds (of 4 minutes each) of either sharpening up my jab on my special small punchbag, sharpening up my reflexes on my swungball device, or pad work - I would direct Ronnie where I wanted him to place the pads as I had certain shots in mind I needed to perfect,
    6 rounds of skipping (jump rope) - but with no breaks; I would skip straight through the 4-minute clock on the wall,
    Then 50 sit-ups followed by 20 hits in the stomach with a medicine ball.

6 weeks out (from a fight), the morning conditioning remained the same but the gym regime changed to thus:
    15 minutes of stretching,
    30 minutes of shadow boxing,
    3 to 12 rounds of full contact, hard-as-possible sparring,
    Then skipping, speedball and sit-ups.

Finish 2 or 3 days out, but finish sparring 1 day out. If I trained 1 day more than you, I had a right to win.

Roy Jones Jr

Morning (five or six days a week)-
    Warm-up - touching toes, torso twists, side bends, push ups, full body stretch and bouncing on toes
    Shadow boxing - 4 x 4mins (30sec breaks)
    Heavy bag - 4 x 4 (30sec breaks)
    Speed bag - 16mins (30sec breaks)
    Double-end bag - 16mins (30sec breaks)
    Jumping rope - 16mins (1min break)
    Abs - 4 x 100 sit-ups, 4 x 100 leg raises, 4 x 100 crunches (30sec breaks)

After Lunch (four or five days a week)-
    Basketball

Evening (five or six days a week)-
    5-mile run, leg extensions, squats, push ups and pull ups or (nearer fight) Sparring (4-12 x 4mins), 3-mile run, leg extensions, squats, push ups and pull ups

Bernard Hopkins

4-6 miles every single morning finishing with a long sprint

In the gym Mon-Fri - heavy bag, sparring, speed bag, ALOT OF SHADOW BOXING AND RING WORK, then jumps rope. A few hours after - Polymetrics like box jumps, push ups, ab work on an exercise ball and neck weight harness

He eats an organic diet, is a vegitarian and committed Muslim

Muhammad Ali

He trained the old school way, that is, roadwork in the morning and gym in the afternoon. His roadwork consisted of running 4 to 5 miles everyday at around 4 in the morning. Towards the end of his run, he'd shadow box for a few minutes then jog or walk back to his starting point. Ali would then do his calisthenics and ab exercises under the watchful eye of Luis Sarria, his personal masseur. He'd then have breakfast and sleep up to lunch time. In the afternoon, he'd go to the gym.

Gym work-
    Warm up - side to sides, torso swivels, jumping around on toes to limber up

Skipping - 20mins, never staying in the same spot

Shadow boxing - 5 rounds (30sec breaks), working on footwork and speed punching

Heavy bag - 6 rounds (30sec breaks), working on combinations and stamina

Speed bag - 12-16mins

Rest 20-60mins

Sparring - 5-6 rounds at around 60% effort, built up over camp to 9-10 rounds at around 90%

Moving from Fifth Street Gym to Gleason's Gym to nearest gym to fight location and changing sparring partners accordingly

Ali never lifted weights. His body, especially during the Cassius Clay era, was naturally developed and sculpted from endless calisthenics, which was big in boxing during that time.

Roberto Duran's training regime for his 1975 lightweight contest against Ray Lampkin.

Mornings, 2 to 3 days per week

15 push ups. 8 sit ups, 2 mile brisk walk. 5 mile off road trek on the back of a donkey.

Afternoons, 4 days per week.

shadowboxing, 4 x 30 second rounds, 4 star jumps, 3 lateral raises, 15 push ups, 8 sit ups, 2 hours in steam room, 30 second total body stretch.

Evenings, 7 days per week

2 - 3 hours salsa, 1 hours conditioning in the pool, 30 minutes limbo dancing, several rounds of no holds barred fighting, 30 minutes massage and hand relief, 10 - 15 whiskeys and milk, 1 hour of various card games, 4 hours in steam room, 1 press up, 1 step up, 1 attempted star jump, 1/3 lateral raise, 5 minutes of supervised belching, 2 - 3 minutes hurling, 15 minutes of flotation in cold bath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Training regimes of various fighters

think i might start incorporating some of Duran's work into my gym work

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Training regimes of various fighters

Don't forget about the 5 mile donkey ride.

Dancing can be pretty hard on the body, you'd feel it alright. I bet you that even though Floyd is training for the Hatton fight, when he's getting ready for Dancing with the stars you're going to see layed out on the floor.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Thread Information