Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What happened to Jose Luis Lopez?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What happened to Jose Luis Lopez?

I'm watching his fight with Ike Quartey and I dont understand what happened to him? I've seen his name mentioned in the forum but why is he no longer fighting? Prison? At 24mhe had something like 40 plus fights?! He has an impressive style too!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What happened to Jose Luis Lopez?

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    I'm watching his fight with Ike Quartey and I dont understand what happened to him? I've seen his name mentioned in the forum but why is he no longer fighting? Prison? At 24mhe had something like 40 plus fights?! He has an impressive style too!
    I have No Idea Why He stopped fighting.I Remember His Impressive Run,he came out of no where.Campas No Mas against him and had some wars with quartey and davis.after the page "L", he put on weight and put together win streek.and then POOF,gonegoood question.
    Dude was really one of a kind.once you looked past the multiple hair dye jobs,his surfing,parting exploits HE HAD SKILLS.a head like granite and a fiece body puncher.hard puncher all around,he put Ike On his Arss twice,( well,one was ruled knockdown with glove brush)........I Think He partied to much.Damn shame

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, according to his boxrec bio
    In time Lopez failed to show the desire which had aided his rise to the top, and decided that hanging out with his girfriend, smoking cannabis and surfing were preferable to the long hours in the gym required to fight at the elite level.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    Gamo you've probably read his name the most from my rants about him and how I thought he could have beaten ODHL, Tito & Ike and Vargas.
    Heres some of my posts on him.

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    You also gotta add that 'El Maestrito' Lopez was on the card tho way past his best I saw glimps of how talented he once was.
    I'll always say that he was the man back in the days, he could have beaten ODLH, Tito & some people like myself think he beat Quartey.
    Sadly problems in and out of the ring derailed and his career but wow! was he something special then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master
    Always wondered about Lopez. Saw him beat Eamon Loughran with ease and thought he was good when he beat Campus. Although I thought he did loose to Ike he was very good fighter.

Was the Judgement Night on Sky on ppv or was it on their normal channel?
    He was really talented man and fought well with both hands moved well in the ring had power in both hands and he just was a pretty damn complete package.
    Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Lopez was very good fighter and tough as nails i don't believe he was ever stopped i see couple of his fights really liked what i see i thought Quartey done enough to win the fight with Lopez but im suprised he didn't do more in his career getting a draw with Quartey you would expect he would of done more definetly undereachiever last big stage i see him on was when he lost to James Page what happened to him ??
    Trouble in and out of the ring, with family/wife would come in out of shape due to that and just slowly but surely slipped off the rankings.
    He always hurt his opponents and when he was at his best he finished them off. IMO his best performace came against Herrera in the rematch when he beat him literally beat him for 12 rounds. More known performace would have to be stopping Loughran in 1 rd.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    In time Lopez failed to show the desire which had aided his rise to the top, and decided that hanging out with his girfriend, smoking cannabis and surfing were preferable to the long hours in the gym required to fight at the elite level.
    Tho some of that is true especially the not being in top shape to fight. I'm not so sure about the smoking the wacky tabbacky part.
    It also shows that anyone can type up a bio and it doesn't necessairly mean it's accurate.
    Also whoever typed that should have used 'spell check' (girlfriend)

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now the Red/Blond/black hair all makes sense(amilia).I Thought It Was All that salt water.What a waste of talent.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL, more power to him haha
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always liked him.. Lopez was a welterweight / middleweight with a heavyweight punch. we fought on the same card back in the late 90's . a nice respectful bloke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember watching him against Eamonn Loughran on ITV - as they were trying to build him up. He destroyed the poor fucker in SECONDS!!!

Lopez was a very good puncher but I do remember him being lackadaisical in the ring. He could have done more but we all have to be our own man (or woman) so him being 'world' champion is still better than most of us.....
    I'm never drinking again (I am a liar)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thankyou for all the responses guys,they are much appreciated. Sounds like Lopz just lost his motivation which is a huge shame,he was a very very impressive fighter. And fyi,I thought he beat Ike.

Thread Information