5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bilbo isn't human.

Scientists: Hobbit wasn't a modern human
    By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID, AP Science Writer

WASHINGTON - Scientists, wringing their hands over the identity of the famed "hobbit" fossil, have found a new clue in the wrist. Since the discovery of the bones in Indonesia in 2003, researchers have wrangled over whether the find was an ancient human ancestor or simply a modern human suffering from a genetic disorder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Now, a study of the bones in the creature's left wrist lends weight to the human ancestor theory, according to a report in Friday's issue of the journal Science.

The wrist bones of the 3-foot-tall creature, technically known as Homo floresiensis, are basically indistinguishable from an African ape or early hominin-like wrist and nothing at all like that seen in modern humans and Neanderthals, according to the research team led by Matthew W. Tocheri of the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History.

That indicates that it is an early hominin and not a modern human with a physical disorder, they contend.

"It seals the deal," Tocheri said in a telephone interview.

The specimen he studied lived on the Indonesian island of Flores about 18,000 years ago, a time when early modern humans populated Australia and other nearby areas.

Scientists had thought humans had the planet to ourselves since Neanderthals died out about 30,000 years ago, and the discovery of Hobbits indicates another evolutionary cousin who coexisted longer, Tocheri said.

It isn't known whether humans and Hobbits coexisted on that island, he said, but it is clear we shared the planet for some time.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070920/...c/hobbit_wrist
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bilbo isn't human.

Of course I'm not I'm a hobbit

But I'm glad that they are no longer saying I suffer from a physical brain disorder but I can assure you there is nothing wrong with my wrists.

In fact my right wrist has served me extrememly well for the past 130 years

Thread Information