Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Barrera’s over-wrapped hands cause for alarm

Before it becomes too late, Freddie Roach has urged ring officials to take a much closer look at the way Marco Antonio Barrera’s hands are wrapped inside the dressing room.

“I’m going to raise a big issue if they (officials) let him do what they want in wrapping those hands,” said Roach, who warned of an irregularity in the wrapping of Barrera’s hands.

“Sometimes they have trouble getting his hands inside the gloves,” added Roach, Manny Pacquiao’s chief trainer, with just 12 days left before the Las Vegas showdown.

“The last time Barrera fought Erik Morales, and they were fighting with Winning gloves (Pacquiao uses Cleto), they had to cut Barrera’s gloves to get his hands inside. I said ‘you got to be kidding’‚” he said.

Roach said it’s not the first time he’s raising the issue.

“I made an issue out of this when Barrera beat my guy Johnny Tapia (by unanimous decision at the MGM Grand in 2002). And what I was arguing with the commission was the illegal hand-wrapping.”

full story: http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Sp...id=20070923142

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Barrera’s over-wrapped hands cause for alarm

I think Roach shouldn't bitch about it. Instead of gettin' pissed off, how about wrapping Pac's hands the way MAB do?... that way it's even.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'm thinking of that also. there really is a need to protect the hands of boxers especially boxer like pacquaio who hits very hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee
    i'm thinking of that also. there really is a need to protect the hands of boxers especially boxer like pacquaio who hits very hard.
    I think Roach is more concerned about MAB's corner over wrapping his hands, they're so tight... almost pre-casted cement on his hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh boy if this thing is really happening and boxing officials overlook this then I guess PAC and MAB should just fight bare fisted, joke only
    but seriously though they should really check how both fighters hands are wrapped an unfair advantage is, no matter how slight it is is still UNFAIR.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlik
    Oh boy if this thing is really happening and boxing officials overlook this then I guess PAC and MAB should just fight bare fisted, joke only
    but seriously though they should really check how both fighters hands are wrapped an unfair advantage is, no matter how slight it is is still UNFAIR.
    lol!

That will not be the first time for MAB. Just ask Erik Morales.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I haven't really thought much of all this so far, but the more I hear about Freddie Roach and his various allegations nearing this fight, it pisses me off a bit.. He should just shut his damn mouth and concentrate on the task at hand. It's not as if anything he says publicly makes a damn bit of difference to anyone that matters... All these so called rumours surrounding the Pac camp, whether they are about Manny or MAB, it's just a pile of BS imo. Roach is a great trainer but he shouldn't be in the spotlight trying to convince anyone of anything other than Pac's progress etc, if they so choose to inform us fans. I don't want to hear about MAB wrapping his hands the wrong way, and what the hell difference is it going to make that he is making some statement about it.. If it's a problem, talk to the commissions, referees and officials, whoever. Keep it amongst those who have a direct role come fight night.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    I haven't really thought much of all this so far, but the more I hear about Freddie Roach and his various allegations nearing this fight, it pisses me off a bit.. He should just shut his damn mouth and concentrate on the task at hand. It's not as if anything he says publicly makes a damn bit of difference to anyone that matters... All these so called rumours surrounding the Pac camp, whether they are about Manny or MAB, it's just a pile of BS imo. Roach is a great trainer but he shouldn't be in the spotlight trying to convince anyone of anything other than Pac's progress etc, if they so choose to inform us fans. I don't want to hear about MAB wrapping his hands the wrong way, and what the hell difference is it going to make that he is making some statement about it.. If it's a problem, talk to the commissions, referees and officials, whoever. Keep it amongst those who have a direct role come fight night.
    It needs to be said p4pking. The best way to say it is to the public so that proper action will be done immediately. you should know how public pressure works.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It needs to be said p4pking. The best way to say it is to the public so that proper action will be done immediately. you should know how public pressure works.
    I should huh Why's that.. Anyways, telling the public is NOT the best way to ensure action. It may be the best way to try and get under Barrera's skin, which is exactly what I think Roach is trying to do here, just as has been the case with many comments coming from Pac's camp.. What the Nevada athletic commission will now be bombarded with letters from the fans, asking that they make sure they have someone to check out MAB's hand wraps? And this will be a real wake up call? BS. If Roach feels it's an issue, he can simply bring it up with the commision, ref's, and other officials. Like I said. I believe it is common procedure for a fighter to have a member of his camp oversee the other's hand's being wrapped anyways?? Or maybe now that he's brought it to the publics attention like a good samaritan, they can have a live feed into MAB's locker room so the entire crowd and PPV audience can watch Freddie personally wrap Marco's hands . Roach going public with this doesn't change anything. What would that say about those who are required to oversee fair preperation and instructions are given to each fighter... Oh well now that they know MAB wraps his hands illegaly we better make sure they do it properly this time?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yes.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I should huh Why's that.. Anyways, telling the public is NOT the best way to ensure action. It may be the best way to try and get under Barrera's skin, which is exactly what I think Roach is trying to do here, just as has been the case with many comments coming from Pac's camp.. What the Nevada athletic commission will now be bombarded with letters from the fans, asking that they make sure they have someone to check out MAB's hand wraps? And this will be a real wake up call? BS. If Roach feels it's an issue, he can simply bring it up with the commision, ref's, and other officials. Like I said. I believe it is common procedure for a fighter to have a member of his camp oversee the other's hand's being wrapped anyways?? Or maybe now that he's brought it to the publics attention like a good samaritan, they can have a live feed into MAB's locker room so the entire crowd and PPV audience can watch Freddie personally wrap Marco's hands . Roach going public with this doesn't change anything. What would that say about those who are required to oversee fair preperation and instructions are given to each fighter... Oh well now that they know MAB wraps his hands illegaly we better make sure they do it properly this time?
    Exactly. Its a bullshit move just to get to the Barrera camp. Not that any of it will work. All this bollocks about a mole in Barrera's camp and now this.

Its pre fight jibberish.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If this really is coming from Roach's mouth(because on a more reliable site than where most of this news is obtained,Roach totally denied the whole spy thing) than Roach needs to STFU and be respectful. I'm no MAB at all,as Miles can attest to but all this nonsense is getting absurd. I honestly hope MAB gives a good account of himself,I think the Manny camp/fans/trainer even are getting a bit too swollen headed.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is it even illegal to wrap hands like that? I wasn't aware of any 'official' rules. I mean most fighters wraps come off with the glove when they take them off (like some kind of cast). De La Hoya's wrapper said the same thing about his wraps.
    I'd imagine if they had to cut the gloves to get his hands in that would be illegal but if there isn't a need to cut the glove..is it really illegal?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roach the ginger whinger. Mind games, so after 18 years in the game he's been found out to be a cheat, yeah that sounds about right. Pillock

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    If this really is coming from Roach's mouth(because on a more reliable site than where most of this news is obtained,Roach totally denied the whole spy thing) than Roach needs to STFU and be respectful. I'm no MAB at all,as Miles can attest to but all this nonsense is getting absurd. I honestly hope MAB gives a good account of himself,I think the Manny camp/fans/trainer even are getting a bit too swollen headed.
    That pretty much depicts the situation perfectly.

Thread Information