Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone please help me out with Fear?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Someone please help me out with Fear?

Yo, this Is my first post..........i've been boxing since i was in 6th grade now im in 10th, but i havnt been boxing in a class or anything, i box at home, and read books and watch tapes, i speedbag, jumprobe, heavybag the whole nine yards..........anyway for some reason, i get sooooooo scared soo frightned, (my hands and hair start to get sweaty, my heart beats like 1000times a minute) when someone wants to fight me, im 5'7 and i look pretty puff for my age, but it doesnt matter, if the guy is 5'2 and has no experiance in boxing, and i KNOW i can take him, for some reason i get MADDDD scared(the palms, the heart the sweat) i know for a fact im a good boxer cause i had people(trainers) c me box and tell me that im fast and powerful, I just dont understand.............why does it happen to me? is there anyway i can concer this problem that i have? is there anything i can take/or do to make this feeling to stop?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re:Someone please help me out with Fear?

Its called adrenaline mate, its the fight or flee response.Just calmly say to yourself that you'll be fine and you can beat him.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Go join a boxing gym for a while and spar alot,end of troubles.
    Fear is removed by knowing.
    You need adrenaline but you need control of it too.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, its flee or fight syndrome. Best thing to do is to secure yourself and have faith. Just be sure you're in full control of yourself and show him what u got. Breathe too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yea, sparing should help ya out... good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

are you scared of geting hit or hiting someone? and also I don t think sparring more will help much if hes already been in a lot of fights or else he wouldnt have the problem to begin with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks For The info, idk........its like whenever someone asked me to fight them (i live in ny, so im basically constantly getting asked) my hands freeze up.......... my heart beats 1000times a minute, its a uncomfortable, weak feeling........i just cant move, i get sooo scared, idk what is it.......... i get really really sweaty and scared, like someones about to kill me lol, but FOR A FACT i know i can take thy guy, i have experience ,kids who are 5'1 ask me to fight them, and i just freeze up, and get really scared, i bascially walk away.......i need help(thanks for the info u guys posted)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

which highschool u go2 in New York, i live in the bronx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kingston High School, its in kingston

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aye kid, I know how it feels to train by yourself, and that feeling of isolation. The cure for that is fighting, racking up some experience in scrapes. You don't gain much experience in front of a heavybag, you rack it up in the ring. With time that fear will be replaced with instinct...

For all its worth, get a membership to a boxing gym, there's a gym in kingston that goes by the name Demorest. Go check it out, make some friends while you are at it, then you can spar with'em inside and outside the gym.

Beside's that, quit being such a baby, ya'might get hit, you might get hurt, just keep your cool or you're gonna lose your head. Take deep breaths and put it to'em.

-Rocky
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

THanks Rocky, i really mean that, thanks man, are you from kingston, How'd u know about demorest?
    anyway, im gonna listen to u, im goin to the boxing gym, after school, thanks everyone for the info, cause this been a problem for me 4 like 5years, i j didnt want to tell anyone about it, im glad i found this site, thanks for your sugestions and its time for me to STEP UP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like your spunk kid,

good luck,
    -Rocky
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Someone please help me out with Fear?

the more you can control it the more dangeris you will be but you need to use it a the right time

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I started boxing at 30 - having been in fights a couple of times when out on the town, I thought I'd do something about it.

When I first got into the ring it really shook me up, and it still does when sparring with someone I don't know - but everybody else is right on.
    The more you do it the less afraid you become. You realise what you can and cannot do well, and if you listen hard to your body and remain objective, you will improve and fear will come under control. You learn to take a punch and you learn to quit when you could get seriously hurt (no shame in that!)
    I remember the first time I fought against a guy i didn't know (other than my current two training partners) and he was a lot younger than me, a professional cage fighter. Well, after about a minute I realised i could tear him apart at will (obviously he'd kill me in a cage fight) and my fear vanished and he said he learned a lot from the spar. He learned to cover up better and i learned to cover a left rip, as he hit me a couple of times with it!

So take it slow, find an intelligent partner who will help you learn to box - an idiot who just goes in to smack you down is no good to you. And as you get better you'll learn to love these ill-disciplined thugs - as they're so easy to hit!

You need to get in and tough it out - build you confidence and stay fit. Don't try and do too much as you'll wind up old and injured, like a lot of guys at my age who realised they went too hard out when they were young.

Luck

Joe90

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Going to a boxing gym will help you a lot,I'm sure of that.Also read this.

Story of Cus D'Amato and fear

THE BLACK LIGHTS: Inside the World of Professional Boxing by Thomas Hauser

Pages 18-20

One of boxing's foremost authorities on the subject of fear is Cus D'Amato, the legendary trainer of Jose Torres and Floyd Patterson. A diminutive, outspoken man who has worked with young fighters for most of his 77 years, D'Amato often looks back on his own experiences to put the subject of fear into context.

"I remember the first time I got involved in what I call a waiting fight," D'Amato reminisces. "In the neighborhood in which I lived, which was a pretty tough neighborhood, you got involved in fights all the time. Whenever you got angry, you fought or you lost respect. Under those conditions you didn't think about being frightened. You replaced fear with anger. But it's different when you have the experience of waiting, an experience I had once. I lived in an Italian neighborhood, and a few blocks away there was an Irish neighborhood. I never used to have trouble with the Irish; I got along with everybody. But then the neighborhoods had some trouble, and both sides said, 'You bring a guy and we'll bring a guy, and they'll fight it out. Instead of both gangs fighting, we'll have two guys representing the neighborhoods.' I was 16," D'Amato continues, "and the Italian guys chose me. I wasn't mad at the Irish, I wasn't mad at anybody. But three days ahead of time I knew I had to fight this big Irish guy at nine o'clock on Saturday night. So comes the night of the fight, I didn't want to fight because this guy never did anything to me, but I got no choice. All the Italian guys and I go over to the street between the neighborhoods, and wait under a big street light. We got there, maybe five minutes to nine, with eighty or ninety guys, and the Irish must have had a hundred but their fighter hadn't shown yet. I sat down on the curb, and I was thinking to myself. 'How the hell did I get into this mess?' To tell the truth, I was scared. All my life, when I got mad I'd fought. I was fighting grown men when I was fourteen, but now I'm saying, 'Jesus Christ, what's the matter with me? I got to be crazy to do this. The next time some guys try to get me to fight, I'll fight them first; I got nothing against these Irish fellows.'" D'Amato's eyes grow larger, his face more animated, as his tale progresses. "Anyway, I'm sitting there, really sweating. I reached up, felt the sweat on my forehead, and figured it was blood, but it was only sweat. Nine o'clock comes and the Irish guy isn't there. Quarter after nine, the Irish guy isn't there. Nine-thirty, I'm still waiting, and all the time the waiting is getting worse because this guy is gonna be there, and I'm gonna have to fight him. Finally, at ten o'clock, one of his buddies comes and says the Irish guy is scared. He ain't showing. It was the happiest moment of my life."

Fighters are the most exposed athletes in the world. During a fight, the crowd observes every twitch and movement. Still, spectators rarely see fear in a quality fighter. "That," says D'Amato, "is because the fighter has mastered his emotions to the extent that he can conceal and control them." But whatever a fighter says, the fear is there. It never goes away. He just learns to live with it. "And the truth is," D'Amato continues, "fear is an aspect to a fighter. It makes him move faster, be quicker and more alert. Heroes and cowards feel exactly the same fear. Heroes just react to it differently. Onthe morning ofa fight, a boxer wakes up and says, 'How can I fight? I didn't sleep at all last night.' What he has to realize is, the other guy didn't sleep either. Later, as the fighter walks toward the ring, his feet want to walk in the opposite direction. He's asking himself how he got into this mess. He climbs the stairs into the ring, and it's like going to the guillotine. Maybe he looks at the other fighter, and sees by the way he's loosening up that his opponent is experienced, strong, very confident. Then when the opponent takes off his robe, he's got big bulging muscles. What the fighter has to realize," concludes D'Amato, "is that he's got exactly the same effect on his opponent, only he doesn't know it. And when the bell rings, instead of facing a monster built up by the imagination, he's simply up against another fighter

Thread Information