Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Starting, helpful advice needed.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Starting, helpful advice needed.

Can I firstly congratulate the mods for a fantastic forum they have, there is real sense of community and never does a question go unanswered. Well done.

Now to my question!

Firstly can I start off by saying i'm fairly insecure, and this has contributed to my problem.

I would like to take up boxing.I'm 18, which I feel is my first problem. Am I too old to start boxing? I'm not looking to become pro or anything like that, I would just like to learn how and to get into shape. But perhaps i'm too old now? Also i'm not overly fit, When I was younger 15/16 I used to walk alot, play alot of football and I was of average fitness, a few years on i'm pretty unfit and i've developed a beer belly. I feel embarassed ab, will I get ridiculled? Will I get laughed at for being the unfit chubby lad who wants to learn how to box? My diet is fantastic brilliant either, it's not remotely balanced and could probably do with a change. I was thinking of perhaps reaching a degree fitness before I approach a gym, if this is maybe the right way to go about it how would anyone suggest getting in shape?

Any sort of advice would be fantastic, thanks alot in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Starting, helpful advice needed.

Hello.

Well, I'm brand new as well, and I'm also 25, and in the beginning stages of conditioning. I haven't found a boxing gym in my area yet (I live in Japan), so for now I'm trying my best to get into decent shape, as well as watch whatever tutorials I can find online. I've been reading a little bit too.

I can't really speak for anyone else on this forum, but it would be my opinion that no one here will tell you that you're too old to start boxing. You may be too old to become a champion, or box at an extremely competative level, but you're NEVER too old to exercise. I'm looking to do this for myself, and to learn how to duck and weave and throw a decent punch. I hope never to use it in real life, but the idea of boxing in the ring with another person of about my level is kinda exciting.

Best of luck with it,

-bentron out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At my gym a few of the guys who started out chubby actually ended up being fairly competitive and nobody made fun of their efforts. I think just start and see how it goes. If people are A**holes at the first gym you find you can always try another one. A few of our ex fighters who stick come in occasionally have beer bellies too!!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Twitchee, welcome to the forum.
    In my expierience i have never actually seen a guy ridiculed because of his weight. Never.
    Id like to bore you with a story a minute. My gym is in a rough area. I mean a notoriously rough area, i used to get dropped to the door and collected outside immediatly after for a long time. I was a quiet kid when i started and looking back, insecure was the word to describe me, i was totally unfit and couldn fight my way outta a wet paper bag. I was terrified entering the gym. The other kids seemed so fit, n scary n i kept to myself. Now im 19 not the worlds greatest boxer (yet), im lean as a grilled rasher n all the kids beg me to hold the pads for them. The gym is now my comfort zone, where i love to be. Do it man, if uv got the inclination just do it, it helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man,I wouldnt worry about it,Ive got a new heavy weight thats been coming in,and fit is not a word I would consider to describe him.
    Damndest thing is,the guy moves pretty slickly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for all the fantastic replies.

I'm currently at university so i'm going to inquire if there is a boxing at campus.

Is there anything I could be doing now? Theres a gym up the road which I could to but where do I start? On the treadmill? Weights?

Also my diet isn't exactly great and I wan't to get rid of my beer fully fast! My eating habits aren't really regular and I tend to eat whenever i'm hungry. Would 3 square meals a day, accompanied with exercise be enough? Or is there a way to really shed the pounds?

Thankyou again in advance!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well im 19 so we should have a similar metabolism.
    I just dropped from Middle to light middle; heres how. Tailor it to ur timetable and food availability.
    Dropped weight training, gone! Totally.

Get up in the mornin; 3 mile run. Startin off, u may jog or even quickly walk it. Arrival at home, Grab a wholemeal Cereal (or Porridge.) Bannana or Apple is also good. Drink water.

Eat at 11, usually a yoghurt and a bannana or mayb a fruit scone n bananna, cup of tea, usually black no sugar.

At 1 I grab a sandwich, usually of Brown bread, Chicken breast, Lettuce tomatoe and Swiss cheese.

At 6 i might grab Something IF i feel hungry.
    The too training. Treadmill is good, skipping is good, a lot of cardio stuff is good. Shadow boxing is greatly under rated for weight loss. Keep moving all through training.

My advice; Skip now, get good and practice up. This will be one less thing to learn in the gym and will save u time. Good luck Dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Regular meals help,but lower the size.And slide in a couple of snacks.Something small just to take the edge off,a little cheese,a little beef jerky an apple,something small

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My last question is on stretching.

I understand that this is crucial and not stretching properly can lead to serious injury.

Could anyone tell me HOW to stretch properly?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HeHe nah sorry man, i really neglect stretching i usually just warm up, thats why iv bin injured a fair bit. Trainer Monkey or Scrap.....Oh or Chris N, they no their stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ill start you with the most basic one
    On the floor,one leg out,one tucked behind,now with the opposite hand of the leg thats straight out,slowly reach towards your toes
    Repeat with the other leg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Right, after reading all your helpful advice I've come to a conclusion.

I've decided to train up a bit before I approach a gym, it's for piece of mind really.

Could anyone suggest a realistic training schedule?

hitmandonny the food diet was greatly appreciated, and i'm going to try and follow it thankyou.

again thankyou all for the helpful advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really Twitchee I think you're selling yourself short feeling you need to be a lean mean machine before you enter a gym. A good attitude is the thing most coaches will look for in a beginner. You could have a six pack and it means nothing if you don't listen.

The thing that worries me about your post is that we see a lot of similar ones where people have put off joining a boxing gym for a really long time out of lack of confidence.

You might aswell start learning now because a lot of the basic footwork etc is difficult to learn when moving flat out - now might be the best time to be learning it when you're not at your peak fitness and the slower work will still benefit you!

If you wait how long will it be before you join and how much could you have learnt in that time?!?! Once you get rid of your beer belly are you going to say "I just want bigger arms before i start because a lot of the guys there seem pretty buff".

A lot of the guys there are in good shape from their boxing training and were NOT before they started. A lot of the guys there are just like YOU!

You can find a good stretching post with vids that Scrap has put up in the useful posts section of Ask the trainer.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anytime mate CC

Thread Information