Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where does Pavlik-Taylor rank among all-time middleweight fights?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Where does Pavlik-Taylor rank among all-time middleweight fights?

It has to be top 5. I'm still too wired and drunk to think clearly through all of the fights, but this is right up there with Hagler-Hearns in my book. Maybe better in terms of pure action and a guy just showing unbelievable guts. I thought Pavlik was gone in the 2nd. His head was on a swivel and got up dazed with half the round left. To come back and score a knockout after that is just the stuff of legend. There's a rematch clause, and I look forward to it. I could definitely see Taylor taking the rematch if he fights more relaxed. He seemed to get too anxious at times and waste punches.

Anyway, enough of my rambling....where do you guys see this as an all-time fight? I'm about to watch it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Where does Pavlik-Taylor rank among all-time middleweight fights?

I bet no one in the audience thought " I feel cheated ." What a crowd pleasing fight. Pavlik had me thinking he was tiring then all of a sudden one big right hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its tough to match that for pure excitment! I still cant believe Kelly survived round 2! Great fight! And, a great card overall it has to be said!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerBoy
    Its tough to match that for pure excitment! I still cant believe Kelly survived round 2! Great fight! And, a great card overall it has to be said!
    No doubt. The Berto-Estrada fight alone was worth the price of admission. Throw in the unbelievable main event, and this ranks as one of the best cards in years. And we didn't have to shell out $49.95 for it, either!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AMAZING.
    has to be top 5...
    for what happend in round 2, then at the end...
    Very dramatic, you couldnt script it any better if you tried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That fight was almost as good as sex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll tell you in 10 years. I'm expecting a few more grat wins in the coming years.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

SigmaMu Guest

All I can say is that.. this is what championship fights are made of. Not that chicken shiet fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr is handing the fans.
    Floyd Mayweather Jr. should not be known as the pound for pound fighter. They should change his title to pound for pound best defensive ring person or something like that.
    If you people think Mayweather/Hatton will be anything like this you phukers need to wake up something fast.

And to all you d1ck heads who say I am obsessed with Floyd Mayweather Jr, you are wrong. I am dissapointed in you people who think he is all that when he is not.
    Again change his title to capt defence or something and I can live with that. I can not live with him being called the best and better than Ray 1 or 2.
    Miss me with that fake title. Specially when he took belts from washed up fighters who were way past their primes. PBF accussed Hatton of fighting guys who were old? That is about as bad as "The Pot Calling The Kettle Black".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    All I can say is that.. this is what championship fights are made of. Not that chicken shiet fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr is handing the fans.
    Floyd Mayweather Jr. should not be known as the pound for pound fighter. They should change his title to pound for pound best defensive ring person or something like that.
    Danny, only you could take a thread about great middleweight fights and turn it into a complaint about another fighter in a different weight class.

To answer the thread question...

Hagler-Hearns is still #1.
    Other fights in the discussion have to be one of Robinson-LaMotta fights, Duran-Barkley, Hagler-Leonard, etc.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I said when this fight was first made was that if I had a chance to put any fight on broadcast TV, it was this one.

Great fight on both ends, hope nothing gets taken away from JT, he was game tonight.

ICB Guest

Benn vs Eubank 1
    Mugabi vs Hagler
    Hearns vs Hagler
    Duran vs Barkley
    Jake LaMotta vs Sugar Ray Robinson ST Valentines Day Massacre

All these fights were better yes Pavlik vs Taylor was great fight but not top 5 Middleweight fight of all time people are forgetting and getting too over excited.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's certainly top 10 of all time. What a fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Benn vs Eubank 1
    Mugabi vs Hagler
    Hearns vs Hagler
    Duran vs Barkley
    Jake LaMotta vs Sugar Ray Robinson ST Valentines Day Massacre

All these fights were better yes Pavlik vs Taylor was great fight but not top 5 Middleweight fight of all time people are forgetting and getting too over excited.
    Disagree. Mugabi-Hagler was a one-sided butt-whipping. It was a pretty good fight, but it would not make my top 10. St Valentines Massacre, again, a one-sided butt-kicking. Duran-Barkley and Hagler-Hearns, definitely better, although I don't necessarily think by much. I haven't seen Benn-Eubanks I, I'll check it out (part of the reason I started this thread was so folks would mention bouts I have not seen). I think there's a pretty good case for Pavlik-Taylor going into the top 5 depending on your criteria.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavlik-Taylor was one of the best, no doubt. It had non-stop action, knockdowns on both sides, genuine dislike from both sides (followed by admiration and respect afterwards), and excitement beyond belief. Fantastic fight!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sexydarin
    I bet no one in the audience thought " I feel cheated ." What a crowd pleasing fight. Pavlik had me thinking he was tiring then all of a sudden one big right hand.
    Probably a lot in the crowd who had money on Taylor to win by KO did.

I really think 9/10 refs would have stopped that fight in the 2nd. Thank God for Steve Smoger, he kept it going and allowed us to witness one of the best fights of they year

Thread Information