Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Logically why the universe cannot be infinite in size.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Logically why the universe cannot be infinite in size.

Can't think about this type of stuff unless I'm high.

There is SO MUCH that we don't know though. Think about it. What the fuck are black holes? Nothing? How the fuck is that possible?

And how do we know the Earth's core is molten lava? Have we ever been there? What if it's water or something?

And it's ridiculous when people think we are the only lifeforms in the universe. Absolutely stupid. We are a nothing but a snowflake, for all we know other life knows we are here but has no reason to bother with us.

Talking about aliens, look at the Ocean. That is a WIERD place, yet we want to see life on Mars? Fuck that, find out what is on Earth first.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, it seems like every time we think we have seen the smallest particle, there seems to be another discovered when microscopes improve. You got atoms then protons/nuetrons/electrons, then quarks and leptons...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Talking about aliens, look at the Ocean. That is a WIERD place, yet we want to see life on Mars? F*** that, find out what is on Earth first. Amat

Good point.

It's always been a fantasy of mine to drain Lock Ness and see what the hell is really in there. I know that it has underground acess to open water but there has to be a way to "get to the bottom" of things there.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Ok this a problem for the more curious amongst you Punisher etc but it is always said that the universe is infinite in size.

I however disagree with this as being scientifically impossible and I'm wondering who agrees with me?

If we believe the scientific model that the universe started from a Big Bang, then literally at the beginnning there was nothing. Now when the universe exploded into existence it began to expand according to science.

Now here's my problem. If something starts from somewhere, i.e has a beginning it can never be infinite in size or any other way, just not possible.

You cannot expand yourself to infinity because you'd never get there. By expanding you'll always be bigger than you were before but not as big as you are soon going to be, kind of like Bigaru or Boxing Gorilla :P

Anyways imagine it with numbers, if you start at 1 you cannot ever get to infinity by adding numbers because there will always be a higher number out there.

If the universe started from a tiny fixed point and has expanded ever since it cannot be infinite in size. If you could trace it back 15 billion or so years to the beginning (according to science) and it would be so small you could hold it on an eye of a needle then how can it be infinite in size now?

Not possible, it's just very very very very F****** big but not infinite.

Thankyou.
    The big bang theory remains a theory. It is for this reason that I would rather believe that God created everything. The big bang theory espouses on the idea of a chaotic universe but as you can observe, the earth revolves around the sun in an orderly manner............so many other reasons why I believe there is God who created everything.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Ok this a problem for the more curious amongst you Punisher etc but it is always said that the universe is infinite in size.

I however disagree with this as being scientifically impossible and I'm wondering who agrees with me?

If we believe the scientific model that the universe started from a Big Bang, then literally at the beginnning there was nothing. Now when the universe exploded into existence it began to expand according to science.

Now here's my problem. If something starts from somewhere, i.e has a beginning it can never be infinite in size or any other way, just not possible.

You cannot expand yourself to infinity because you'd never get there. By expanding you'll always be bigger than you were before but not as big as you are soon going to be, kind of like Bigaru or Boxing Gorilla :P

Anyways imagine it with numbers, if you start at 1 you cannot ever get to infinity by adding numbers because there will always be a higher number out there.

If the universe started from a tiny fixed point and has expanded ever since it cannot be infinite in size. If you could trace it back 15 billion or so years to the beginning (according to science) and it would be so small you could hold it on an eye of a needle then how can it be infinite in size now?

Not possible, it's just very very very very F****** big but not infinite.

Thankyou.
    The big bang theory remains a theory. It is for this reason that I would rather believe that God created everything. The big bang theory espouses on the idea of a chaotic universe but as you can observe, the earth revolves around the sun in an orderly manner............so many other reasons why I believe there is God who created everything.
    to you, I agree completely

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh, I believe that God created everything. I'm just chatting about the topic at hand without bringing that into play. Most people will tune you out as soon as you say His name.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    It's always been a fantasy of mine to drain Lock Ness and see what the hell is really in there.
    Bigfoot and his submarine.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is something that has amazed, confused and scared me since a very early age.
    My first point is that numbers cannot possibly be used to represent the universe. Numbers are a man made tool, a crude tool at that, nowhere near accurate enough to convey something that was a result of a much higher power. However being inquisitive like everybody else il run with this n try to reason.

The start of every experiment must be based upon a hypothesis.
    1)We'll grab Bilbo's hypothesis; The univerese cannot be infinite.
    2)Grab a theory; if the universe is not infinite, it has a nominal size.
    3)Expand; if it has a nominal size, it is "contained."
    Hitmandonnys Scientific experiment 1:
    Grab an egg. This will represent the earth, all life on it, all natural features on it etc. Follow. Egg=Earth.
    Grab the egg n chuck it in a bowl. Bowl represents universe.
    So far we have shown the universes ability to contain the planet earth. If you so wish throw in the various other planets, use oranges, apples whatever, be as imaginative as you want, use glitter for stars for all i care, but the representation is the same. Bowl CONTAINS Apple, egg, orange etc. This illustrates the Universes capability of supporting and containing a massive amount of natural material, i.e. Rock, water, Carbon dioxide, oxygen Hydrogen, all matter.

However, another factor is now observed. The bowl is sitting on the table. The universe, containing all stated components is located within another enviroment. Furthermore it is noted, the table is within the kitchen, the kitchen is contained in the house, the house in the yard etc.

So u got the egg, in the bowl, on the table, in the kitchen, in the house, in the yard right. That equates to the earth, within the universe, within the larger universe, contained in a larger universe, contained in another etc.
    So this experiment is inconclusive.

The only thing my experiment has proven is that man's "logical" thinking is not sufficient to figure out this mystery.

And thats why i feel Ricky Hatton will beat Floyd Mayweather.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    This is something that has amazed, confused and scared me since a very early age.
    My first point is that numbers cannot possibly be used to represent the universe. Numbers are a man made tool, a crude tool at that, nowhere near accurate enough to convey something that was a result of a much higher power. However being inquisitive like everybody else il run with this n try to reason.

Grab an egg. This will represent the earth, all life on it, all natural features on it etc. Follow. Egg=Earth.
    So far we have shown the universes ability to contain the planet earth. If you so wish throw in the various other planets, use oranges, apples whatever, be as imaginative as you want, use glitter for stars for all i care, but the representation is the same. Bowl CONTAINS Apple, egg, orange etc. This illustrates the Universes capability of supporting and containing a massive amount of natural material, i.e. Rock, water, Carbon dioxide, oxygen Hydrogen, all matter.

However, another factor is now observed. The bowl is sitting on the table. The universe, containing all stated components is located within another enviroment. Furthermore it is noted, the table is within the kitchen, the kitchen is contained in the house, the house in the yard etc.

So u got the egg, in the bowl, on the table, in the kitchen, in the house, in the yard right. That equates to the earth, within the universe, within the larger universe, contained in a larger universe, contained in another etc.

The only thing my experiment has proven is that man's "logical" thinking is not sufficient to figure out this mystery.

lol I can imagine Punisher reading your post, getting all excited thinking you are about to reveal some great piece of truth that would help him towards completing his 'theory of everything'.

Then when it all led to your Hatton will beat Floyd comment I can imagine him throwing his scribbled notes on the floor in disgust shouting 'Meh!'

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC returned mate.

But no seriously, i need that oxytocin quick.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny

lol. I must agree with this conclusion. cc hitman after 24 hour limit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Bruce .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I disagree about the number thing, Donny.

Numbers are the "universial" language. Once you decipher the symbol used to represent the amount, of course.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    I disagree about the number thing, Donny.

Numbers are the "universial" language. Once you decipher the symbol used to represent the amount, of course.

Numbers are'nt universal dude. Numbers were created by man. Man are bourne of the earth, we have little knowledge of anything beyond our atmosphere, so how could we create something universal?

So what units do we have that ARE universal. Light perhaps. Numbers applied to light may give u a universal unit. But that is based upon a Universal factor (the light source), (i'm referring to light from the sun/stars obviously.)

Mayb Sound, However sound can only occur in appropriate atmospheres, and would not be the equivalent on earth as it would be in space/elsewhere in the universe so that is not a universal factor.

Sorry gettin carried away.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Without numbers you cannot have mathematics and without math we wouldn't have invented anything complex. The slicing of bread is wonderful, but how do you think we figured how many times to slice it?

Thread Information