Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default B Hop interview(very good read)

http://doghouseboxing.com/dhb/cassell100307.htm

MC: Okay, I am going to give you some names as possible opponents for Kelly Pavlik. Tell me who would win and why. Winky Wright and Kelly Pavlik. Who wins?

Bernard Hopkins: I like Pavlik, and I think Pavlik would stop Winky. I think he would be him up real bad. Do you know why? Because I had Winky first. (LAUGHS) I took Winky OLD PHILLY style. It wasn’t pretty, but I did it like they did it in the old days. I mugged him.

MC: Okay, how about the Viking Warrior. Mikkell Kessler

Bernard Hopkins: Very very tough fight. I believe Kessler would win it though. But tough to call.

MC: How about Joe Calzaghe?

Bernard Hopkins: I like Joe Calzaghe to beat Pavlik if they fought. Calzaghe throws a lot of punches. He gets in close, and would take away the range of Pavlik. Those long arms need space to build power. Calzaghe would smother him.

I agree with this(apart from the taking Winky part)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: B Hop interview(very good read)

You grab This from Doghouse yeah Gamo?
    Read it there earlier alright, god he doesn't like Taylor much does he?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For all those that thought Hopkins would fight Pavlik, not one single mention of it there, yet he's watched Taylor-Pavlik 8 or 9 times.

Old B-Hop sure does rate old Calzaghe.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    For all those that thought Hopkins would fight Pavlik, not one single mention of it there, yet he's watched Taylor-Pavlik 8 or 9 times.

He give Pavlik a lot of credit saying he exposed Jermaine, yet Taylor "beat" Hop twice. And he doesn't mention the outcome of him v Pavlik. I'm notimplyin Bernard is intimidated by Pavlik, i just think it might show that Hop is ready to step out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny

He give Pavlik a lot of credit saying he exposed Jermaine, yet Taylor "beat" Hop twice. And he doesn't mention the outcome of him v Pavlik. I'm notimplyin Bernard is intimidated by Pavlik, i just think it might show that Hop is ready to step out.
    I hope so,he's my fave fighter,but I just dont see the point of these fights anymore
    Whats left to prove to anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, I think beating some of these guys at a bigger weight does add something to his legacy. All of those middleweight defenses and the two most impressive scalps are former welterweights. Dominating Tarver after moving 15 pounds gave him a little something extra, and I think taking on a guy like Calzaghe or Kessler (depending on the winner) would add something as well.

And, while Hopkins has lost some speed, the old man is so damn crafty that I can see him beating either of those guys. There also isn't much downside to him taking those fights, because if he wins he's an ageless wonder beating at top 6 or 7 p4p fighter in their prime, but if he loses people will look at it like Leonard getting beat by Norris and say he was just old...more or less give him a pass.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The one thing that everybody agrees upon is that Hopkins is hard to beat.
    Not in the commonly thrown about sense but quite literally he i a hard fighter to defeat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The thing is Pavlik's win really helps Hopkins in terms of getting the Calzaghe/Kessler winner as he has said wants (well, he called out Joe, but I'd assume he'd go after Kessler if he wins). Had Taylor won, he probably would have been the next big fight for the winner sometime in '08. As is, it appears Pavlik will stay at 160 and make at least a few defense, and Taylor's loss obviously makes him a much less attractive candidate for now, so Hopkins would appear to be the biggest name available for the winner to fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

good read.

pavlik vs hopkins would be kinda pointless at this time of hopkins career as he would't get much reward if he would win. pavlik would probably win also because his workrate is too good for hopkins at this stage of his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ds91
    good read.

pavlik vs hopkins would be kinda pointless at this time of hopkins career as he would't get much reward if he would win. pavlik would probably win also because his workrate is too good for hopkins at this stage of his career.
    Hate to do it...but totally disagree.

No one has Hopkins work rate or craft & Pavlik is strong...but to raw for someone like Bernard.

The win would be awesome because Hops drops down & beats the man that beat the man...think about it.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont think he is intimidated. I mean, he went way outta his weight class and beat up Tarver. I think the fact that pavlik did something he could not do (beat taylor) bothers him. I think the fact that the man who has 2 wins ( questionable or not)over him was just knocked out, i believe it makes him feel jealous, or bothered that he couldnt do it. But i dont think Bernard is intimidated at all.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    good read.

No one has Hopkins work rate or craft & Pavlik is strong...but to raw for someone like Bernard.

The win would be awesome because Hops drops down & beats the man that beat the man...think about it.
    He talked about all those guys fighting Pavlik but never once mentioned the possibility of himself facing Pavlik in that interview.

Fighting someone half his age at this stage is clearly not an option. Right and all.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

good read.

I was thinking about this match up the other day....
    Hopkins has more than enough hustle to mug Pavlik. Relatively speaking, Bernards style is definately Krytonite. He'd take Pavlik walkies, then shut him down. Shove him about. Nut him. And out score him decisively.

The thing is, i dont think he could do it for 12 rounds. This match up, at this point in both fighters carrers, is a damn sight tougher than Hopkins-Trinidad. Plus there is a possible issue with Hopkins going from 160 to 175 and back down to 168... At 42. I dont care how much B-Hop has defied logic. Thats a move that is as risky as it gets.

Pavlik throws a lot. I dunno if he can throw - and press - and jab like that for 12 rounds. Nor do i know if he can sustain the drive he's shown in previous fights while being seriously outsmarted but at this point id stick my neck out and say he can. He's young and very hungry, i dont think Hopkins would quite succeed in mugging Pavlik of his will to knock him into retirement.

If Pavlik dosent win this one by points. (which its easy to see why he wont) I can see Hopkins having to hang seriously tough, hurt and worn, for a good 4 rounds.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Deuce

i dont think he is intimidated. I mean, he went way outta his weight class and beat up Tarver. I think the fact that pavlik did something he could not do (beat taylor) bothers him. I think the fact that the man who has 2 wins ( questionable or not)over him was just knocked out, i believe it makes him feel jealous, or bothered that he couldnt do it. But i dont think Bernard is intimidated at all.
    Never said he was intimidated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

good read.

i can agree with you on the fact that hopkins moving back down and beating pavlik would be good. but beating him is the trouble. hopkins has power but doesn't have the power to ko pavlik so it won't end early. only thing that could get bhop the win is his footwork and counter punching. but everyone knows that bhop only counters with one punch whenever he gets the option nowadays. that ain't enough to keep pavlik off. so the fight if it was too happen be like this. starts off with hopkins on his feet, alot of moving around left and right feinting the jab, pavlik moving forward and throwing trying to catch hopkins, hopkins throwing his single shot counters. the judges score it to pavlik on the fact he was more active

Thread Information