Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did Hamed fight Barrera and not Morales?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why did Hamed fight Barrera and not Morales?

I was watching Barrera-Morales I the other day (for about the 100th time), and in-between rounds they show Hamed's brother sitting in the stands. The HBO crew commented that he was there scouting Barrera and Morales, because Naz wanted to fight the winner at 126 pounds.

Morales of course won the fight (the Fight of the Decade in my opinion) on a controversial decision. Many people thought Barrera deserved the win, although I've always felt the decision was correct and that Erik had earned the victory. (I thought Erik also won the 2nd fight with Barrera but that's besides the point).

So my question is... if Hamed wanted the winner, why did he fight Barrera instead of Morales??

1. Did he think that Barrera really won the fight, and therefore thought he deserved the shot? (I don't think this answer is the one.)

2. Did he think Morales was more dangerous than Barrera, and therefore chose the opponent who he thought would be easier to face? (More likely.)

3. Did he try to fight Morales, but a deal couldn't be worked out?

Does anyone know?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why did Hamed fight Barrera and not Morales?

I'm pretty confident it was number 2. He thought he would have a better shot at MAB. Morales waited a long time for a shot at Hamed. JMM waited an even longer time,I'm pretty sure he was Hamed's mandatory for a LONG LONG time. Even MAB and EM ducked JMM back then when he was the quintessential counter puncher.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think theres 1 right answer,I think it's a mixture of several things.

After the 1st Erik-MAB fight Erik moved up to Feather and quickly got a shot at the WBC title. As we very well know Warrens got the WBO in their back pocket for Hamed to fight Erik and bring the WBO into a fight with Erik & the WBC title would have been a no, no. I don't think there was enough money Warren could have payed to have that OK'ed at that time. MAB stood at Super Bantam and I also think the loss took some effect on him, he got a gift from the WBO and kept the belt when Erik moved up in weight. MAB made some defenses and got some wins against OK opposition while Erik kicked some ass as a Feather by beating literally beating Kevin Kelly, Guty Espadas Jr. & Inji Chi. All top prominent fighters at that moment in time. While MAB beat (at Super Bantam) Luis Freitaz, Jose Valbuena & Jesus Salud. A lot of people forget that MAB moved up in weight to face Naz it takes a lot to move up in weight and for your 1st fight at a new weight fight for a title even more to face someone like Naz at that moment in time.
    When you look at what both fighters did after their 1st meeting (Erik & MAB) I think it was pretty clear for Warren who was the weakest link. He thought it was MAB boy! was he wrong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who knows. But Hamed would have lost to either of them. For all of Hamed's power and flash...he lacked the heart and skill to beat two legendary fighters like Marco and Eric. That being said...i actually think he would have the better chance against Morales. Eric would have eventually been lured into a brawl against the brash Prince...which against a big puncher is always dangerous. That would have been an entertaining fight with Morales eventually stopping Hamed. I don't think Hamed thought Marco would put on such a technical clinic. He probably thought he would just come out and bang with him. But as we all saw...Barrera showed what a masterful and tactical boxer he could be.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hamed/Morales would have been absolutely explosive!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

at the time they said they wanted the real winner i.e Barrera, I suspect they wanted someone who would come forward slugging & be open to Hameds strong counters. In actual fact they chose the wrong guy as that would have been Morales. (exciting fight).

When emanual steward was commentating on Barreras tune up fight with jesus salud, he jokingly made the remark I think we picked the wrong fighter, because mab chose to box to dismantle salud.

so hameds team may have thought they were going to fight the winner of mab/morales 1 in many peoples eyes. I think they were after a big name who people thought was past his best at that time! & who had been in several wars.

ICB Guest

Also don't forget Marquez Naseem ducked him like the plague.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedByPacstraightleft
    Most boxers do

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marquez was a nobody back then. And then when he got his shot against Norwood he lost.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    Marquez was a nobody back then. And then when he got his shot against Norwood he lost.
    Marquez wasn't very well known, but back then he was seen as the best counterpuncher in the division.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    I don't think theres 1 right answer,I think it's a mixture of several things.

After the 1st Erik-MAB fight Erik moved up to Feather and quickly got a shot at the WBC title. As we very well know Warrens got the WBO in their back pocket for Hamed to fight Erik and bring the WBO into a fight with Erik & the WBC title would have been a no, no. I don't think there was enough money Warren could have payed to have that OK'ed at that time. MAB stood at Super Bantam and I also think the loss took some effect on him, he got a gift from the WBO and kept the belt when Erik moved up in weight. MAB made some defenses and got some wins against OK opposition while Erik kicked some ass as a Feather by beating literally beating Kevin Kelly, Guty Espadas Jr. & Inji Chi. All top prominent fighters at that moment in time. While MAB beat (at Super Bantam) Luis Freitaz, Jose Valbuena & Jesus Salud. A lot of people forget that MAB moved up in weight to face Naz it takes a lot to move up in weight and for your 1st fight at a new weight fight for a title even more to face someone like Naz at that moment in time.
    When you look at what both fighters did after their 1st meeting (Erik & MAB) I think it was pretty clear for Warren who was the weakest link. He thought it was MAB boy! was he wrong.
    Naz wasn't even with Warren then. Interesting theory though

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Marquez wasn't very well known, but back then he was seen as the best counterpuncher in the division.
    Probably best to ignore him then till he becomes somebody

ICB Guest

And Cesar Soto, Augie Sanchez, were really that much more known than Marquez ?? and you also forget Marquez gave Norwood all he could handle who was 35-0 World champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And Cesar Soto, Augie Sanchez, were really that much more known than Marquez ?? and you also forget Marquez gave Norwood all he could handle who was 35-0 World champion.
    Have you seen that fight, Ice?

ICB Guest

Have you seen that fight, Ice?
    Yes i have it was a bit of an ugly affair but it was close fight Marquez was down in the second from a left hand and Norwood was down in the 9th but it was flash knockdown i can't remember how i scored it but it was very close fight.

Thread Information