Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default KIRKLAND LAING

Courtesy of Sundayherald.com

This article is nearly 2 years old, I just wondered if anybody knows anything about Laing’s progress since
    his accident. Did anybody see the documentary with Steve Bunce (also 2 years ago), where he tracked down Laing, living part-time on the streets as a down and out. This guy could’ve/should’ve been a multi milionaiire – such a shame

Boxing: As the maverick fighter lies in hospital in a serious condition, Steve Bunce takes a look back at the life and career

KIRKLAND LAING was arguably the best British fighter never to have won a world title. On Tuesday he fell from a balcony near his council flat in Hackney and was rushed to hospital. He was in and out of surgery and in a critical, but stable condition. There was even a rumour that he had died late on Friday night, but he regained consciousness although he is still very sick.

Laing was quite brilliant in the ring and quite mad away from it. His idea of training hard was not smoking a 12-inch joint on the day of the fight, but forcing himself to have a midnight curfew the night before. He redefined the boundaries of maverick fighter again and again during a career that started in 1975 and ended in 1994. He won and lost the British and European titles and took part in some of the most memorable recent fights.

However, it was one night in Detroit in 1982 when Laing, whose nickname was the Gifted One, came face to face with ring legend Roberto Duran. At the time Duran was one of the sport's biggest names but Laing was not bothered by reputation.

The fight lasted 10 rounds and when it was over Laing was a clear winner and Duran was a bewildered and bruised loser. It should have been the start of Laing's illustrious career, the start of his money days but instead of taking advantage of his good fortune, dear old Kirkland just vanished.

During the 13 months that Laing remained at large Duran went on to win the World Boxing Association Light Middleweight title from Davey Moore in front of 19,000 people at Madison Square Gardens and then lasted 15 rounds with Marvin Hagler in Las Vegas. Duran's legacy was guaranteed from the two fights and his bank account increased by something like $6 million.

Laing just shrugged when I reminded him of this six weeks ago. Since Laing walked away from boxing he has been in and out of trouble. When I saw him he was still drinking, but he was also still smiling and still dreaming. In other words, he was still being the Kirkland Laing that so many people knew from his fighting days.

God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: KIRKLAND LAING

I saw the BBC documentary. I recently read a writer who was very critical of it cause, they filmed bits before the accident yet still showed it and portrayed him in a worst state than he really was

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kirkland, if I remember rightly, fought with his hands very low and had good reflexes? Was he the guy with the dreadlocks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best British fighter to never win a world title? I think Herol Graham and Michael Watson might have something to say about that...

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Destroyer
    Kirkland, if I remember rightly, fought with his hands very low and had good reflexes? Was he the guy with the dreadlocks?
    Yep, that's him
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best British fighter to never win a world title? I think Herol Graham and Michael Watson might have something to say about that...
    It does say arguably and it is one persons opinion who would want that acolade anyway? "well done mate your the best at being not quite good enough"

Watching Laing was one of my first boxing memories, midweek sport special I expect, he was great fun
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    It does say arguably and it is one persons opinion who would want that acolade anyway? "well done mate your the best at being not quite good enough"

Watching Laing was one of my first boxing memories, midweek sport special I expect, he was great fun
    I remember him fighting on there too, rememeber 1 fight where he got knocked out by some bloke called Buck Smith??

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis

I remember him fighting on there too, rememeber 1 fight where he got knocked out by some bloke called Buck Smith??
    Me too

I can't see your avatars, can you see mine?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes mate, I havent done my av yet.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers mate, there seems to be some weird shit happening

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I blame Meunouk.

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah, I was just thinking, what with his mind control theroies an all that someone/thing could be having an influence on me

In the hidden section it says i've posted on a thread that I haven't posted on

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats what THEY want you to think

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thread Information