Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Former WBA champ Ruiz wins by 2nd round by knockout! Eyeing title shot next!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Former WBA champ Ruiz wins by 2nd round by knockout! Eyeing title shot next!

Former WBA champ Ruiz wins, eyes title shot

By ANDREW SELIGMAN
    AP Sports Writer

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21287886/

Updated: 4:19 a.m. CT Oct 14, 2007
    HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. - Former WBA heavyweight champion John Ruiz stopped journeyman Otis Tisdale in the second round and set his sights on another title bout Saturday night.

Ruiz had lost his previous two fights, dropping the title on a controversial majority decision to Nikolai Valuev in Berlin in December 2005. Ruiz then lost a split decision to Ruslan Chagaev in an elimination bout to determine the No. 1 ranking and mandatory challenger in November 2006.

But Saturday, he quickly shook off the rust.

Fighting on the Julio Diaz-Juan Diaz undercard, Ruiz (42-7-1, 29 KOs) knocked down Tisdale (26-19-1) twice in the first round. The fight was stopped 45 seconds into the second after Ruiz landed a right and left to the head that sent Tisdale sprawling to the canvas.

"I want to get that title," said the 35-year-old Ruiz, who had not fought since November 2006. "It got taken away from me in Germany. That's what I'm going for now. ... I'm looking forward to the next fight."

It was the first time Ruiz celebrated a win in the ring since he successfully defended the WBA belt with a unanimous decision over Andrew Golota at Madison Square Garden in November 2004. The following April, his title reign and career briefly ended after James Toney won a split decision in the same building.

Ruiz announced his retirement afterward, only to retract that a few days later. The WBA overturned Toney's win after he tested positive for steroids and declared the bout a no contest, putting the belt back around Ruiz's waist.

But the next two fights didn't go well for Ruiz.

Now, Chagaev has the WBA belt, and Ruiz wants a rematch with Valuev to become the mandatory challenger.

"Right now, I feel great," he said.

Also on the card promoted by Don King, WBA Fedelatin heavyweight champion Mike Mollo of Chicago (19-1, 12 knockouts) scored a second-round knockout over Art Binkowski (16-2). Ranked eighth in the WBA, Mollo wants to fight Golota.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Former WBA champ Ruiz wins by 2nd round by knockout! Eyeing title shot next!

You know what good for him.I know that watching Ruiz fight sometimes is like waking up in the middle of the night with those painfull calf cramps that make you wince but Plain and simple...Hes done his time and keeps plugging ahead so lets see what happens.Hell,He deserves a thumbs up for just getting rid of the F!!!!!! azzclown fatmouth Norm stone who I think was nothing more than a detraction and camera whore.
    I am not trying to rah-rah for Ruiz but Ive watched him for a long time and he was not always this Mauling-clinching misfit that alot of people see.He had two crap decisions Early,1 at cruiserweight vs.champ in the making Sergei Kobozev(R.I.P) that was really tight and a hold up decsicion vs.Emanuel stewarts Totem pole Golem Donnell Nicholson.I think after Tua pole-axed him he changed up and began that roughhouse stuff.Its ugly but it Works for him .He has always fought internationally as well and took on all comers.....but man Its not pretty at times.Hes 35 and might have a tough time getting big fights ,you might say because of his antics and rep.as clincher but what some might mean is its because he has a solid chin,a potent right,and guile.

But No ,I'm not a fan....maybe us Americans are just SO DESPERATE LOL,sad really

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Former WBA champ Ruiz wins by 2nd round by knockout! Eyeing title shot next!

does anybody know how by beating a guy of that caliber merits another shot at the title ?
    26 wins 19 defeats ?
    Ruiz is a poor fighter , end of story.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I read this thread, a little bit of piss came out, then I vomitted in my mouth. How bad is it when the Ruizs and the Holyfields keep getting title shots without even trying. Ruiz needs to go hug someone and retire.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was disappointed Lyakhovich didn't step up and put Ruiz out of his misery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn
    I was disappointed Lyakhovich didn't step up and put Ruiz out of OUR misery.
    I corrected your post for you...no need to thank me.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruiz is a good fighter, But very boring and not the nicest of guys..Lets not forget valuev and chagaev didnt beat him convincingly and i thought ruiz beat val..

Plus he sorta flies the flag For Pr so hes not really winning anything totally for america..
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Unknowndonor
    When I read this thread, a little bit of piss came out, then I vomitted in my mouth. How bad is it when the Ruizs and the Holyfields keep getting title shots without even trying. Ruiz needs to go hug someone and retire.
    Nasty ,You should see a Physician,Cant be good for The dating situation..

Holyfield gets title shots because he brings in the $$$$$,brings in the headlines, will fight anyone..........And He is old as Moses..........Unfortunatly he still fights at all!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know what i hope Ruiz does get a title shot, better yet i hope he gets a shot a Vlad's belt so he Vlad can knock him on his boring ass and maybe, just maybe he go someone where and sit his ass down for good!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopefully they don't give it to him. I don't think he'd be able to win one today anyway. The fight would be on ppv and a definite must NOT buy.

Thread Information