Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Champions Forever boys Vs late 80s and 90s heavyweights

Ive just watched the champions forever DVD again and I got thinking about how the likes of Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield and Riddick Bowe would have gone on with Heavyweights golden era of Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton and Holmes in their primes.
    Personally I think that all the GOLDEN ERA boys would all have beaten all the other 4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Champions Forever boys Vs late 80s and 90s heavyweights

I agree, but i think Riddick Bowe and Lennox Lewis would have gave all 4 of the golden boys serious problems. Just off size alone and they both can box real well. I strongly believe both of them would have beaten Frazier and Norton. I just want to throw in a quick tournament to show who i think would come on top and try to do the match ups as evenly as possible. Correct me if anyone disagree.

Tyson vs Frazier- Tyson - Tyson vs. Norton- Tyson
    Holyfield vs Norton-Norton
    vs. - Muhammed Ali

Lennox vs. Foreman- Lennox - Lennox vs. Ali- Ali
    Bowe vs. Ali - Ali

The golden era prevail!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know although I definitely have ideas about where each ranks on a p4p basis and would rate most of the champions forever guys higher, although Holmes would be in in place of Norton, if two of either era met in the rank, man I really don't know who would win.

Ali is the best heavyweight ever no question, but faced with Lennox Lewis, who was almost as skilful a boxer than him with the advantage of size and a longer jab I really don't know who would win.

Lennox's only defeat came when he was underprepared against non threats and was caught with a punch, a la Ali Cooper. He didn't have the chin that Ali had though, but like Ali against genuine opposition, Tyson, Holyfield, Ruddock, Tucker and early in his career against Gary Mason for example, in the big important fights he excelled.

Against Ali he would have been in the best condition mentally and physically of his life and so his two losses to weak opposition would be irrelevent.

It would be a pick'em fight, and maybe I'd lean towards Lewis even.

Likewise Hoylfield in his best would have taken Ali to the very brink, although I think Formean would overpower him.

I think Ali would have done a highlight reel job on Mike Tyson though, whilst I'd imagine Tyson would tear Norton apart and dimsantle Frazier.

Him and Foreman, I'd go with Big George.

George is one my top 4 heavies of all time but the young George I believe would have been taken apart by Lennox Lewis, although he'd have been too strong for Holyfield.

For the record Norton for me loses to Lewis and Tyson by KO. Him and Holyfield is a war though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mayorook
    I agree, but i think Riddick Bowe and Lennox Lewis would have gave all 4 of the golden boys serious problems. Just off size alone and they both can box real well. I strongly believe both of them would have beaten Frazier and Norton. I just want to throw in a quick tournament to show who i think would come on top and try to do the match ups as evenly as possible. Correct me if anyone disagree.

vs. - Muhammed Ali

Bowe vs. Ali - Ali

I totally disagree Tyson would not have been able to take Fraziers punch and would have been knocked out within 4 rounds whereas Frazier would have taken Tysons best and kept coming back like Evander did to him.
    I think that Foreman would have knocked Lewis out too because for all Lennox's boxing ability when Lennox got hit hard he just couldn't recover and no-one and I mean no-one hit like Foreman.
    I think if any of the modern era could have reached the final of your little tournament it would have been Evander just basically on the fact that he could take punishment and keep coming back unlike Lennox and Tyson.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally i think Lewis beat norton with ease , beats Frazier in a tough battle , beats Foreman 2 out of 3 , and has more than a chance with Ali
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu

vs. - Muhammed Ali

Bowe vs. Ali - Ali

I totally disagree Tyson would not have been able to take Fraziers punch and would have been knocked out within 4 rounds whereas Frazier would have taken Tysons best and kept coming back like Evander did to him.
    I think that Foreman would have knocked Lewis out too because for all Lennox's boxing ability when Lennox got hit hard he just couldn't recover and no-one and I mean no-one hit like Foreman.
    I think if any of the modern era could have reached the final of your little tournament it would have been Evander just basically on the fact that he could take punishment and keep coming back unlike Lennox and Tyson.
    Nah mate Frazier would be no match for a prime tyson imo. Frazier couldn't take Foremans power no way could he handle Tyson's relentless early onslaughts. Tyson had the better chin, his losses came after protracted prolonged punishment, in a toe to toe brawl Tyson stops him in the early rounds imo.

Frazier couldn't control a fight like Lewis or Hoylfield, he was a come forward pressure fighter, Nobody could brawl with Tyson you needed to outsmart him and outbox him and Frazier wouldn't have been able to do that. Now Ali on the other hand would have done a number on Tyson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    You know although I definitely have ideas about where each ranks on a p4p basis and would rate most of the champions forever guys higher, although Holmes would be in in place of Norton, if two of either era met in the rank, man I really don't know who would win.

Ali is the best heavyweight ever no question, but faced with Lennox Lewis, who was almost as skilful a boxer than him with the advantage of size and a longer jab I really don't know who would win.

Lennox's only defeat came when he was underprepared against non threats and was caught with a punch, a la Ali Cooper. He didn't have the chin that Ali had though, but like Ali against genuine opposition, Tyson, Holyfield, Ruddock, Tucker and early in his career against Gary Mason for example, in the big important fights he excelled.

Against Ali he would have been in the best condition mentally and physically of his life and so his two losses to weak opposition would be irrelevent.

It would be a pick'em fight, and maybe I'd lean towards Lewis even.

Likewise Hoylfield in his best would have taken Ali to the very brink, although I think Formean would overpower him.

I think Ali would have done a highlight reel job on Mike Tyson though, whilst I'd imagine Tyson would tear Norton apart and dimsantle Frazier.

Him and Foreman, I'd go with Big George.

George is one my top 4 heavies of all time but the young George I believe would have been taken apart by Lennox Lewis, although he'd have been too strong for Holyfield.

For the record Norton for me loses to Lewis and Tyson by KO. Him and Holyfield is a war though.
    Ali beats them all but not in convincing fashion for all of them. Ali-tyson is a win for ali but its done late in the fight by either stoppage or very lopsided scoring after the second half of the fight as the first half is very close. Ali would struggle with holyfield for the same reason he did doug jones (smaller guy from virtually a lower weight class). Ali beats lewis in a close fight simply because ali has the edge in speed and stamina while lewis probably has power stacked in his favor. Ali beats bowe, not onesided but convincingly enough.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't consider Norton a great heavyweight at all. He was a paper champion who never won his title in the ring. I think Lewis, Tyson, and Bowe all knock him out early. And Holyfield gets him late. Norton didn't have the chin to take there punches.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu

vs. - Muhammed Ali

Bowe vs. Ali - Ali

Nah mate Frazier would be no match for a prime tyson imo. Frazier couldn't take Foremans power no way could he handle Tyson's relentless early onslaughts. Tyson had the better chin, his losses came after protracted prolonged punishment, in a toe to toe brawl Tyson stops him in the early rounds imo.

Frazier couldn't control a fight like Lewis or Hoylfield, he was a come forward pressure fighter, Nobody could brawl with Tyson you needed to outsmart him and outbox him and Frazier wouldn't have been able to do that. Now Ali on the other hand would have done a number on Tyson.
    How can anyone say Tyson had a good chin? He never even got off the floor to go on and win a fight. Frazier was just too hard a man for Tyson to have a chance.

ICB Guest

Ok so we are doing 70s vs 90s right ??

Larry Holmes vs Lennox Lewis = Holmes by decision he would outjab Lewis remember Lewis did not do so well with fighters with good jabs aka Mercer aka Bruno.

Joe Frazier vs Mike Tyson = 1971 version of Frazier would beat the fading Tyson of the 90s by TKO late.

Muhammad Ali vs Riddick Bowe = Bowe did struggle with outside fighters an old shot Tony Tubbs on downslide of his career gave Bowe all he could handle i think Ali wins tough decision.

Ken Norton vs Evander Holyfield = Holyfield by split decision.

Earnie Shavers vs Razor Ruddock = Two bombers going at it both men would be dropped in a wild slugfest then Ruddock stays down for the count in the 3rd.

Ron Lyle vs David Tua = A wild slugfest with Tua winning by TKO in the 10th Lyle did always fade in later stages and Tua was a good late finisher see Izon fight.

Jimmy Young vs Ike Ibeabuchi = A prime Jimmy Young would frustrate Ike Ibeabuchi like Chris Byrd was doing and win a tough decision Young took Foreman's best shots and comeback and hit Foreman and staggered him but he made Foreman miss a hell of alot and he would do the same with Ibeabuchi remember how frustrated Byrd made Ibeabuchi in there fight and a prime Young had a solid chin.

I have the 70s winning 5-2.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Champions Forever would have prevailed, but i have Lennox running really close.
    For me Mike Tyson would also have been very competitive but he would have been handed a few losses due to the likes of; Ali, Foreman perhaps, Earnie Shavers.

I see Holyfield beating the Likes of Jimmy Ellis, Ernie Terell, Jerry Quarry and Oscar Bonavena but falling Short of the top due to the Unbelievable amount of talent at the time.

As for Ali, i see him just being further worshipped as a result of some more glorious victories, but like i said he'd have a tough time with Lennox.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    For me Mike Tyson would also have been very competitive but he would have been handed a few losses due to the likes of; Ali, Foreman perhaps, Earnie Shavers.

I see Holyfield beating the Likes of Jimmy Ellis, Ernie Terell, Jerry Quarry and Oscar Bonavena but falling Short of the top due to the Unbelievable amount of talent at the time.

As for Ali, i see him just being further worshipped as a result of some more glorious victories, but like i said he'd have a tough time with Lennox.
    Tyson in his prime would of destroyed Shavers imo just look what happened when Quarry swarmed Shavers in 1st round enough said.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedByPacstraightleft

Tyson in his prime would of destroyed Shavers imo just look what happened when Quarry swarmed Shavers in 1st round enough said.
    Thats a valid point, as thats exactly what tyson would have done,
    But Quarry was a glutton for punishment and had an ATG chin, Shavers Tyson would have been explosive and i could see mike down.
    The reason im saying this is because Mike at his Prime was never knocked down...why?
    Not because of his chin, but because of his Defence. So i think it would have been interesting,as shavers had decent skill as well as a truckload of power.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedByPacstraightleft

Thats a valid point, as thats exactly what tyson would have done,
    But Quarry was a glutton for punishment and had an ATG chin, Shavers Tyson would have been explosive and i could see mike down.
    The reason im saying this is because Mike at his Prime was never knocked down...why?
    Not because of his chin, but because of his Defence. So i think it would have been interesting,as shavers had decent skill as well as a truckload of power.
    Well i will put up the footage of Quarry vs Shavers and see what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Lxhkjc_aY

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beaut, nice one Ice, have it on Dvd also.
    If get that programme up and running to copy some copyrighted Cd,s a might send you over a couple of the Latin fighter and Champions forever Dvd, if ya have'nt already got um.

Thread Information