Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carl Johanneson v Michael Gomez - British Super Featherweight title - 9pm UK

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Carl Johanneson v Michael Gomez - British Super Featherweight title - 9pm UK

Ok folks, another Friday and it's another of your favourite British Title RBR's, courtesy of me, your host for the evenings fun and frolicks.

Defending his British title will be Carl Johanneson at the Doncaster Dome, up against combacking former WBU titlist Michael Gomez. Here's my analysis of these guys:

Carl Johanneson (26-3, 18 KOs) is the big punching quiet man from Leeds, but is coming into this fight off a devastating defeat in his challenge for the European title against Leva Kirakosyan, where he showed significant bravery in the face of incessant clubbing blows which all seemed to find the target, getting up a number of times before it finished in the fourth round. The big question is whether Johanneson can return from that defeat in the right frame of mind, and whether he can rekindle his string of 8 wins (7KOs) before the Kirakosyan bout, which brought him the title. His power has been the main attribute in helping bring him to the top of the British ladder, but in beating Ricky Burns over 12 rounds, he also showed he's got the stamina to go the distance if that is what is required.

Michael Gomez (34-7, 24 KOs) is only a year older than Johanneson, and is a former British champion who vacated his title, and also holds wins over Alex Arthur, and Johanneson's nemesis Kirakosyan. This comeback phase in his career has seen him claim two wins in May and June over journeymen, but we are still to see how he will face up to a real challenge, since his defeats to Javier Alvarez in February 2005 and the infamous quitting against Peter McDonagh in January 2006. Gomez also packs a fair punch, but I have absolutely no idea which Gomez will turn up to the fight....

I'm backing Johanneson to win this one, who is already pencilled in to face Kevin Mitchell in December if he can overcome Gomez on Friday night. Elsewhere on the bill we have the comeback of Jason Booth, after his defeat against the mighty midget Ian Napa, John Fewkes in his toughest fight so far against Gary Reid.

The show starts at 10pm UK time or 5pm EST, you bring the beers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Carl Johanneson v Michael Gomez - British Super Featherweight title

Johannsen would have to be favourite, he's much more consistant.
    If Gomez wins this tho, i expect Arthur to come for revenge.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gomez wins inside 2 rounds for me , thats if hes up for it . both are exciting tho
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al
    Gomez wins inside 2 rounds for me , thats if hes up for it . both are exciting tho
    my girlfriend says 'awww he looks really scared' every time johanesson fights.....but she knows fuck all about boxing so i'll go with a johanesson win.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Johanneson wasn't coming off the shellacking i'd strongly fancy him. Dunno though.

Can't see it lasting long.

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    If Johanneson wasn't coming off the shellacking i'd strongly fancy him. Dunno though.

Can't see it lasting long.

Come on mate. Two big punchers, both with KO defeats in their fairly recent histories to overcome. 12 round snoozer.... Well, actually I reckon it'll be done in 8 rounds or less.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

8?

I reckon 3..4 max in an up-and-downer.. These two can both hit, are both fragile, they're gonna go at it from the off - great stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even though Gomez hits hard he hasn't beaten anyone since Kirakosyan - who has Carls number! I think Johanneson will roll over him in 4/5 rounds although nothing would surprise me in this fight.
    I'm never drinking again (I am a liar)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun
    Ok folks, another Friday and it's another of your favourite British Title RBR's, courtesy of me, your host for the evenings fun and frolicks.

Defending his British title will be Carl Johanneson at the Doncaster Dome, up against combacking former WBU titlist Michael Gomez. Here's my analysis of these guys:

Carl Johanneson (26-3, 18 KOs) is the big punching quiet man from Leeds, but is coming into this fight off a devastating defeat in his challenge for the European title against Leva Kirakosyan, where he showed significant bravery in the face of incessant clubbing blows which all seemed to find the target, getting up a number of times before it finished in the fourth round. The big question is whether Johanneson can return from that defeat in the right frame of mind, and whether he can rekindle his string of 8 wins (7KOs) before the Kirakosyan bout, which brought him the title. His power has been the main attribute in helping bring him to the top of the British ladder, but in beating Ricky Burns over 12 rounds, he also showed he's got the stamina to go the distance if that is what is required.

Michael Gomez (34-7, 24 KOs) is only a year older than Johanneson, and is a former British champion who vacated his title, and also holds wins over Alex Arthur, and Johanneson's nemesis Kirakosyan. This comeback phase in his career has seen him claim two wins in May and June over journeymen, but we are still to see how he will face up to a real challenge, since his defeats to Javier Alvarez in February 2005 and the infamous quitting against Peter McDonagh in January 2006. Gomez also packs a fair punch, but I have absolutely no idea which Gomez will turn up to the fight....

I'm backing Johanneson to win this one, who is already pencilled in to face Kevin Mitchell in December if he can overcome Gomez on Friday night. Elsewhere on the bill we have the comeback of Jason Booth, after his defeat against the mighty midget Ian Napa, John Fewkes in his toughest fight so far against Gary Reid.

The show starts at 10pm UK time or 5pm EST, you bring the beers.

I am sure it said it was starting at 2100hrs on sky sports.
    Balls

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

we went to his gym hes bang up for it and bang in shape.....

http://www.saddoboxing.com/6139-michael-gomez-2.html

also the PC was pretty lively audio of it here....

http://www.saddoboxing.com/6179-carl...l-gomez-2.html

should wet your appetite for this one

anyhooo gonna make this a sticky and CC for doing it mate

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm gunna go with Johanneson in a short one. 4 Rounds me thinks, but it'll be close up until that point. The winner will lose to Mitchell anyway, so I kinda see this as 'delaying the inevitable'.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara

I am sure it said it was starting at 2100hrs on sky sports.
    Fantastic pick-up on that one there mate...I just assumed they were starting at the usual starting time for Live Friday Night Boxing, but they've changed it for this week only. Just checked it, and I'm shocked. But anyway...9pm it is, or 4pm EST. And you get your arse clicked

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Carl Johanneson v Michael Gomez - British Super Featherweight title - 9pm UK

I really like Johansson and hope he wins but coming back from a devasting KO like he just suffered is hard. Gomez can bang and knows his way around the ring. He'll have a big pyschological edge coming into the fight thinking to himself he can smoke Carl if he lands.

I reckon Gomez Ko's him inside 6 rounds but I hope I'm wrong as Johansson is one of my favourite British fighters.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Carl Johanneson v Michael Gomez - British Super Featherweight title - 9pm UK

I was just reading an article on Michael Gomez on Wikipedia....saying that he was born in 1972. Boxrec have him down as being born in 1977, and with his first pro fight recorded in 1995 it isn't completely implausible that he was 18 when he took his first bout. I assumed that boxrec had the right details....can anyone shed some light for me?

And I agree Bilbo, I like Johanneson, he seems a humble hard-working sort of chap, and not the most confident before the cameras when being interviewed, so I hope he does come back with a win tonight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wikipedia is wrong it's 77

Thread Information