Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayne Elcock gets shot at Arthur Abraham on 08th December!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Wayne Elcock gets shot at Arthur Abraham on 08th December!!

BBN Exclusive - Elcock gets IBF world title shot
    by Tom Podmore
    Oct 19th 2007

Birmingham's Wayne Elcock has been given the biggest opportunity of his eight-year career when he challenges Arthur Abraham for the German-based banger's IBF world middleweight title in Switzerland on Saturday, December 8.
    The 33-year-old British champion meets the unbeaten Armenian-born puncher at the St. Jakob Halle in Basle and is looking to become Britain's first world champion at middleweight since Jason Matthews held the WBO crown in 1999.

But he meets a mallet-fisted champion rated third in the independent rankings and second in the Ring Magazine ratings. Wayne is rated tenth in the Ring Magazine ratings, by the way.

Abraham, 27, has made five successful defences of his International Boxing Federation title, a title he won with a five-round stoppage over Canadian-based Nigerian stylist Kingsley Ikeke in 2005.

The Berlin-domiciled middleweight came through a war with Colombian puncher Edison Miranda in September last year – sustaining a badly broken jaw in the early stages, but showing immense bravery to grit it out and retain his belt via unanimous decision.

Recently – in Berlin in August – Arthur scored a gruesome eleven-round knockout over country Khoren Gevor to improve his stellar record to 24-0, 19 quick wins.

Elcock, 18-2 (, scored a unanimous decision over common denominator Howard Eastman in September, taking the Battersea Bomber's Lonsdale belt in the process, at the Coventry Skydome.

‘King Arthur' outpointed Eastman in a tense twelve-rounder in 2005, although many claimed Eastman had done enough to have his hand raised. The Englishman was chasing a rematch before losing to the Brummie last month.

The Paddy Lynch-trained Shard End fighter knows he has a huge mountain to climb but is full of confidence and ready to become the Second City's first legitimate world champion.

Elcock told me: “The best option by far is for me to challenge for the IBF title against Arthur Abraham in December.

“I know its going to be a tough fight, but on the back of the Eastman win I'm well up for it and we are about to put pen to paper later today (October 19) for us to fight on December 8 in Switzerland.

“It's a good job I did not celebrate too much after the Eastman win,” Elcock continued. “I'm still in good shape and I'm now back in gym with seven weeks to go from Saturday.

“We will be going over to Switzerland on October 29 to formally announce it and I can't wait.

“I will be more than ready to bring the world title back to Birmingham and England come fight night.”

http://www.britishboxing.net/news_27...itle-shot.html

Hes going to get murdered!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Wayne Elcock gets shot at Arthur Abraham on 08th December!!

I agree it's going to be a short night's work for Arthur.

Eastman must be seething. If would have beating Elcock like he should have he could have been looking at a rematch with Abraham and yet another title shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll be cheering Wayne on but he stands little chance against Abraham.

What is with these German fans, how can they accept this Markus Beyer II matchmaking?
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 'Big' Dan McCarthy
    I'll be cheering Wayne on but he stands little chance against Abraham.

What is with these German fans, how can they accept this Markus Beyer II matchmaking?
    If he was at 168 lbs I'm sure Calzaghe would have fought him so not really much to complain about. As a European champion Abraham is going to obviously fight mostly Europeans and Elcock as the British champion is probably one of the top rated in Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didnt get to see the fight with Eastman so cant comment on his win there but seriously, does anyone give Elcock a chance here? I suppose its a decent payday for him and I would like to see him win but I cant see it happening. Maybe at least this one will get bloody televised though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

abraham is a good talent i hope he can fight a top 5 contender even a rematch ith miranda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Abraham's a good champion & a hell of a fighter...he does the same thing that the bulk of most champions do...make an assload of money on home turf & see's no point in going anywhere else.

Can't say that I blame him & pretty much everyone else get's a pass for it...why shouldn't he?

That was a rhetorical question...so there's no need in anyone listing 500+ reasons why he should.

Next!
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Abraham's a good champion & a hell of a fighter...he does the same thing that the bulk of most champions do...make an assload of money on home turf & see's no point in going anywhere else.

Can't say that I blame him & pretty much everyone else get's a pass for it...why shouldn't he?

That was a rhetorical question...so there's no need in anyone listing 500+ reasons why he should.

Next!
    He's probably still waiting for his jaw to reset properly, another 12 months and he'll hopefully to able to fight real opponents again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

Next!
    He's probably still waiting for his jaw to reset properly, another 12 months and he'll hopefully to able to fight real opponents again.
    Heh heh heh.

I wonder if Miranda's feeling up to a Pavlik rematch?

Probably about as much as Abraham is a Miranda one, huh?
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wayne Elcock is probably feeling like Rocky did in the first film, but I doubt that Abraham will be saying: "You aint getting no rematch" at Elcock, who will most likely be completely outboxed and outgunned here.

However, it's the best chance he'll ever get, so I hope he makes a good fist of it at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's not forget, on the flipside Wayne Elcock gets to fulfill his dreams, he may train his ass off and have the fight of his life, or put in a good performance in losing and get some more good fights off the back of it.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

great opportunity for him and if he gives a gallant performance in losing then his stock rises. it reminds me a bit of the opportunity kevin lueshing got against felix trinidad ten years ago

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Elcock stands no chance . Id like to give him atleast a punchewrs chance but he hasnt even got that .Lawrence Murphy knocked out Elcock in the opening seconds of teh 1st round and it was a brutal K.O . Elcock was also beaten by Scott Dann .

If he is getting owned by these kinda guys then it would bea huge shock if he could last 12 with Arthur . The champ has far too much and its a bit of a mismatch . I duno what hes done to deserve this shot but I wish him , hopefully he can fiddle his way through and take afew chances but id be impressed if he lasted to the halfway stage .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oddly enough, & admittedly, I have never seen (to my knowledge or rememberance) nor do I know who Elcock is...but as a rule of thumb I generally count most on the middleweight list out against Abraham. I think that he's one of the most underratted & underappreciated middleweight champs out there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oddly enough, & admittedly, I have never seen (to my knowledge or rememberance) nor do I know who Elcock is...but as a rule of thumb I generally count most on the middleweight list out against Abraham. I think that he's one of the most underratted & underappreciated middleweight champs out there.
    There is no good reason why you should know who Elcock is . He isnt even a household name in his own household

I dont wana sound disrespectful or dismissive of his chances but I cant see him doing well in this fight at all !

Thread Information