Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Jeremy Bates, surely there's a better way for him to make a living?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jeremy Bates, surely there's a better way for him to make a living?

Poor Jeremy Bates. It seems that since he found fame by being Evander's first comeback opponent a couple years back every heavyweight either on the comeback trail or on the way up seems to want to use him as a whupping boy and a barometer to gauge their punch power.

He's now been KO'd in his last 5 fights and hasn't got past the second round in any of them.

Watching him tonight staggering back to his corner after the end of another first round beatdown I got to thinking, in a generation or so's time when our descendents look back on the worst jobs in history will poor Jeremy get a mention?

What would his job description be? Not boxer certainly, his job is not to fight back.

Basically he plays the role of 'live meat' and is prepared to travel anywhere in the world, to have the S*** pounded out of him, in exchange for a meagre paycheck

Even in our modern age of civilised behaviour, Bates fufills the age old desire to see Christians thrown to the lions or to watch sackcloth wearing slaves forced to fight a well armed gladiator in an unfair fight in which they have no chance of winning.

Time to retire Jeremy?

I think so............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jeremy Bates, surely there's a better way for him to make a living?

I remember he said he was retiring after Holyfield ko'd him. You never know, I mean I know I have said dozens of times.... "I would fight _______________ for $$$$$$$$$" or "for a Million bucks i'd fight _____________"

Fighting 5 or 6 times and making $30k or so each time would maybe fund a retirement plan. Even though he gets beaten I somehow don't see him as being the broke former boxer. I'll bet he's doing something smart with his extra cash cause he's not a full time boxer.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame
    I remember he said he was retiring after Holyfield ko'd him. You never know, I mean I know I have said dozens of times.... "I would fight _______________ for $$$$$$$$$" or "for a Million bucks i'd fight _____________"

Fighting 5 or 6 times and making $30k or so each time would maybe fund a retirement plan. Even though he gets beaten I somehow don't see him as being the broke former boxer. I'll bet he's doing something smart with his extra cash cause he's not a full time boxer.
    There's no way he's earning 30k's per fight imo. I reckon he makes about 10k absolute tops.

He's a telephone engineer I think as well, if I were him I'd just ask them for some overtime.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

There's no way he's earning 30k's per fight imo. I reckon he makes about 10k absolute tops.

He's a telephone engineer I think as well, if I were him I'd just ask them for some overtime.
    I thought Bates was an insurance sales man

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise

You're probably right, it's along those lines I think. I wonder if his company insure him to take the beatings he does?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hell be it 30 or 10 thousand either way it is more then likely half or at leasta 1/4 of his yearly salary....The guy is imposing looking though shame he cant fight for s*** or take a punch
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jeremy Bates is a shit boxer and was also shit at tennis lol
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ah wel at least he'l have coverage
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono

ah wel at least he'l have coverage
    Not if his employers see him fight; they'll fire him
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds like the dude needs to get out of the sport before he gets himself seriously hurt. 5 straight KO losses in less than 2 rounds is horrible.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hes been in the co-headlining fight for just about all of these fights.He's easily clearing 30K
    Which is not chump change for an insurance salesman,Toughman Fighter from WV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    Sounds like the dude needs to get out of the sport before he gets himself seriously hurt. 5 straight KO losses in less than 2 rounds is horrible.
    I think responsible athletic commissions should strip fighters of their licenses once they become total fodder.

Jeremy is taking the paydays now, but what about when he becomes so punchy or disabled, that being a salesman is not a fall back option? Who then pays his bills?

When i see someone with a record like this: http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...7570&cat=boxer it makes me wonder what kind of condition they are in now.

Thread Information