Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sparring tomorrow night for the first time since injured...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sparring tomorrow night for the first time since injured...

Well it's been since March since I actually climbed back into the ring to fight... and after my injury I took the summer off to heal... and then have slowly been working back into shape.

Tomorrow night will be the first night that I will climb back into the ring to spar... and I am excited. I am nervous, and excited all at the same time... I have some new things I want to try... but mainly I just want to have that feeling that I get right before I get into the ring that lets me know that I am alive...

Not that I don't find that feeling in other things that I do... but there is a rush... and I love it...

Addrenaline Junky for Life
    Blackvenom-2001

Sorry... I know that this isn't an ask the trainer question but just wanted to tell someone... hahaha

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sparring tomorrow night for the first time since injured...

I no the feeling man, i think the most amazing feeling in the world is just before a fight....Uv got fear...nervousness and forboding all at once...and then the first punch is thrown and its gone!!!! All nerves gone 100% focus on, brilliant!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha... rock on and thanks for the comment...

So far today I have just been pumped about it... however, just went through my first little bit of self-doubt that I had to blast out of my head... you know the one that starts with the thought of being hit and freezing up, not able to relax, being stiff in the ring, pain... etc...

You just have to push those thoughts back out of your head... they are the ones that lead to failure... YOU have to maintain the positive thoughts, the winning thoughts...

It's like Anthony Hopkins said in the movie "The Edge" - "Today, I'm-a-gonna-kill the mutha fucka."

Blackvenom-2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For the record... it was an awesome feeling... except the self doubt about won over...

Got to the gym and about decided to just work out instead of spar... but talking to coach and he really didn't give me too much of a choice... haha... love my coach... and I'm so glad that he said... get your a## in the ring boy... your ready...

Busted lip and small cut on the cheek and I'm still fine and loved every minute of it...

First three rounds was against a pro... light weight... I couldn't catch the little speed demon... freaking pisses me off... everytime I would go to cut the ring off... he would catch me with something new... live and learn... and learn to give in return...

Second three rounds was against a good friend... sort of hard to transform from friendship to let's beat the crap out of each other... it's what I'm pissed off at myself for the most... I caught him with a really solid jab and actually stopped and said, "Sorry... you ok"

He just laughed and said... "It's what it's all about"

To seconds later I ate a really solid left hook on the side of my face... I just laughed and said... "Your right that's what it's all about"...

Still... I still really fight my training from child hood that to hit another person is a bad thing... I have got to get over that...

Blackvenom-2001

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understamd dude, it's a funny feeling beating on a mate, but it has to be done and can often be very challenging as friends learn each others styles quickly and natural competitiveness exploits any weaknesses that they spot.

I badly need more spars, i'm a light middleweight and i took a spar against a super heavy last week, beautiful violence as i backed him all the way up. My problem at the moment is boxing guys that rtun from me, footwork needs to be accelerated!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha... I understand about the guys running from you. One of the guys that I was in the ring with is unbelievably fast... I am going to be proud of myself the first time I actually catch him and hit him with something. He is very good so most of the time when I am in the ring with me... he is not really getting much out of the sparring but just going easy on me... and letting me try to find him and learn for my own...

Still one of these days I'm going to catch up to him... don't know what I am going to do once I catch him... but when I do I will let you know...

Sort of reminds me of something the late Steve Erwin said on one of his shows... "My dad always said, "when there biting ya... you know you got em"... haha... bout what's going to happen to me if I ever get close enough to give this guy any concern... haha...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sparred last night myself and...well i don't no where it came from but i liked it!!!
    Usually i'm a standup stright forward guy-i suppose a typical European boxer, but yesterday i was different, super slick, only throwing the jab and slipping everything (altho i was going too low with my slips, almost Nigel Benn like...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Had my best sparring night on Friday as to date...

Was able to relax more then I ever had... so after three, three minute rounds I didn't feel completely and utterly worthless... and the best part... I finally caught the speed demon that has been working with me in the ring... that was a huge accomplishment for me... and it was a great feeling!

Thread Information