Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De La Hoya receives 'Fighter of the decade' award & Promoter of the year award

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default De La Hoya receives 'Fighter of the decade' award & Promoter of the year award

You guys remember the thread the other night about who will be seen as best fighter of the decade?

Well guess the WBO must have bee lurking our forums cause they've awarded that title to ODLH.
    (If you could so kindly drink this glass of 'Hater-ade' and post your comments)

He was also awarded 'Promoter of the year Award' by the WBO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: De La Hoya receives 'Fighter of the decade' award & Promoter of the year award

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    You guys remember the thread the other night about who will be seen as best fighter of the decade?

Well guess the WBO must have bee lurking our forums cause they've awarded that title to ODLH.

Rumour has it he is going to win THE RING fighter of the decade also......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: De La Hoya receives 'Fighter of the decade' award & Promoter of the year award

Peckerheads Hey, does that award for fighter of the decade include male and female fighters? Or are they separate? He could get both dammit'
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle

1st you get the money,
    Then you get the power,
    Then you monopolize the sport.

I mean even I a hard core ODLH fan can see that this "prestigeous" award given to him by the WBO really holds no grounds among fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: De La Hoya receives 'Fighter of the decade' award & Promoter of the year awa

De La Hoya is definately the smartest fighter of the last decade and the most powerful boxer ever, maybe athelete. I keep thinking he eventually has to fail at something, but he keeps proving me wrong...except for his singing career
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle

1st you get the money,
    Then you get the power,
    Then you monopolize the sport.

I mean even I a hard core ODLH fan can see that this "prestigeous" award given to him by the WBO really holds no grounds among fans.

While I have to agree about ANY award from the WBO holding no weight with fans Oscar is a pretty fine choice for both in my humble opinion, I am not even a big Oscar fan but when you break it down in a stand back point of view.

Who has been in more high profile bouts then Oscar? He has not won them all but just take a peek at his resume

Since 1997 he has faced Pernell Whitaker, Julio Cesar Chavez, Hector Camacho, Ike Quartey, Felix Trinidad, Shane Mosley, Fernando Vargas, Yori Boy Campas, Bernard Hopkins, Felix Sturm, Ricardo Mayorga and a few more second tier but top ranked names. He has won 4 world titles in 2 weight classes and has only been stopped by Bernard Hopkins.

The man has never been dominated (except maybe by Hopkins depending on how you view things) in a loss. He has generated more money for the sport then any other fighter, and no other man in the last 25 years has a resume that has had so many top tier opponents.

Sure Mayweather is undefeated and Hopkins broke the Middleweight Champion defense record during that time but does either have the quality ink on contracts Oscar has had?

As far as Golden Boy goes ( the promotion company ) in the short time it has been around they have signed more top names then any other single promoter in the business not to mention potential stars,

On their current roster is ODH ( obviously), Hopkins, Barrera, Israel Vasquez, JM Marquez, Rocky Juarez, Joan Guzman, Manny Pacquiao, Kassim Ouma, Rey Bautista, Daniel Ponce De Leon, Juan Lazcano, Oscar Larios, Shane Mosley, Joel Cassamayor, Junior Witter hell I could make a whole thread of their top quality guys.

The man has a scholarship program, he is in the works of building a high school or funding one not sure which but either way.

What other promoter can make the claims of Golden Boy in the area of signing talent so fast and having so many headliner quality fighters under their banner?

I know I sound like his PR guy but like I said I am not a fan of his personally because I think he has become a bit phony and full of himself but you can not deny the facts and fact is Oscar has done more in boxing these last 10 years as a whole then any other single person

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar deserves the accolades & he deserves 'em by the bundle.

Oscar's done plenty in & out of boxing to get these awards & legit-lee so.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's the most influential fighter of the decade, but there's no way in hell that he's the best fighter of the decade. Not even close.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe they give calzaghe the european fighterof the decade yesterday, warren and palle promoter awards to...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: De La Hoya receives 'Fighter of the decade' award & Promoter of the year awa

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    He's the most influential fighter of the decade, but there's no way in hell that he's the best fighter of the decade. Not even close.
    TOTALLY AGREE(as per usual!)

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    I agree as well, but Id have to say he isn't undeserving of the acclaim, and he isn't seen as the most influential fighter for nothing. I will assume that since he was awarded fighter of the decade, it is based on the time between 1997 and currently... And as someone else posted, in that time, noone has faced nearly as many name opponents. Clearly, Roy Jones, Hopkins, Mayweather, Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Wright and probably others Im forgetting, have been better p4p fighter than Oscar has in the time frame. But as far as big name fights, none of those guys have been in half as many as DLH..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ok who would you vote for as best fighter of the decade if it isnt DLH? btw the decade aint over yet is it?
    ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE DREADED AND MUCH FEARED CIRCLE OF TRUST (CoT)Hidden Content
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    I agree as well, but Id have to say he isn't undeserving of the acclaim, and he isn't seen as the most influential fighter for nothing. I will assume that since he was awarded fighter of the decade, it is based on the time between 1997 and currently... And as someone else posted, in that time, noone has faced nearly as many name opponents. Clearly, Roy Jones, Hopkins, Mayweather, Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Wright and probably others Im forgetting, have been better p4p fighter than Oscar has in the time frame. But as far as big name fights, none of those guys have been in half as many as DLH..
    Well they named him as best fighter meaning(what I think anyway) that he has the best wins etc. I don't think so. Influential,yes. Best,no. Some of the names you mentioned deserve to be ahead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No doubt, DLH has been in more big fights than any fighter of this generation. No doubt about that. Everyone should respect DLH, because he has fought EVERYONE. But there's a big difference between participating in big fights and winning big fights. And the fact is that DLH has lost most of his big fights (especially if you're like me and think that DLH lost to both Whitaker and Quartey).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No doubt, DLH has been in more big fights than any fighter of this generation. No doubt about that. Everyone should respect DLH, because he has fought EVERYONE. But there's a big difference between participating in big fights and winning big fights. And the fact is that DLH has lost most of his big fights (especially if you're like me and think that DLH lost to both Whitaker and Quartey).
    CC,well said.

Thread Information