Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fighting styles, how do i stop this guy pounding me?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fighting styles, how do i stop this guy pounding me?

In my gym i sparred with a guy who was smaller than me in a small ring.
    I landed good punches but all he did was charge in like crazy and threw punches to my body and head,
    he always got me against the ropes.
    I can't really dance around and escape effectively because the ring is to small, how do i fight him against the ropes if all he does is throw millions of punches. I can't stop him coming in because when i counter him my punches don't push him back because he's wearing a headguard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fighting styles, how do i stop this guy pounding me?

he is not invinseable so if he wants to stand toe to toe wit you just throw upercuts and huckes and pound on him untill he dosent want to any more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keep him on the outside with the jab. If you get caught up with him, uppercut and take the chance to distance yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

uppercuts will do the trick

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

strong jab step left strong jab etc

You could lay on the ropes and whip in uppercuts or turn him and pound on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CLINCH!!! haha ive had to do it before... if theres no way out clinch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

clinch or upper cuts ...or both at the same time (holding and hitting..."get sticky")

if hes just a jerk & u guys are young enough to not get really hurt lol...i dont know how long u been boxing but give goin south paw a try on him & when he jabs do quick right hand counters over his left & circle around him to ur right ...when he pins you youll be able to push of of his shoulder(w/ ur right hand & propell urself away) & counter a few times maybe ...then learn how to execute it ur natural stance....just some things i did when i was a kid ...ps..if ur right handed boxing southpaw many times feels natural cause ur right hand is ur jab & ur strong leg u move with...get creative on ur toes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if u have a reach on him keep ur hands in front of u reaching out & high (like frankenstien/foreman in a boxing stance)when he comes in ur hands will allready be closer to his face u can atleast throw quicker one twos if ur hands dont have to travel all the way back to ur CORRECT guard simple physics & see if when u punch him u can use some of his momentum to push u back like 1-2 &stiff arm (u can do alot with other ppls momentum in boxing)

since ur just sparring be creative...just have some style ...Maybe watch some fight clips / espn classic ...see what the great ones did when they had that very same problem u have some times u need to be unconventional

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wait until he stops throwing flurries, after his short 5-10 secound burst of punches he will stop because he is out of breath(as he is not trained properly) then you move in close quick and hit him with hooks hard he will be too tryed to defend and attack either way its good for you as more of your punches will land
    if you do throw flurries you should be able to keep going for 30 secounds you will not be as powerful but alot more efficient
    check your stance is it correct, do your punches follow through these can work against you lessening your power, do you telegraph you punches, do you punch from where your hands are

[attachment deleted by admin]

El Kabong Guest

When you get against the ropes keep your regular stance and absorb the punches you will be able to counter with power if you keep your stance and don't pitter pat your punches while peaning all of your weight against the ropes...make sure you still push off your back foot for your power.

I had a problem with someone being overly aggressive to me in a sparring match, a good hook to the body will always slow them down. If you're bigger than him show him use your height or a weight advantage if you have it, back him up, shorter fighters don't fight as well going backwards it gives them less angles to attack.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Christ i thought something dodgy was going on in here when i read the thread title!
    Appolagies

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
    In my gym i sparred with a guy who was smaller than me in a small ring.
    I landed good punches but all he did was charge in like crazy and threw punches to my body and head,
    he always got me against the ropes.
    I can't really dance around and escape effectively because the ring is to small, how do i fight him against the ropes if all he does is throw millions of punches. I can't stop him coming in because when i counter him my punches don't push him back because he's wearing a headguard.
    Move around the best you can, and cover up. Let him tire out trying to throw his punches, and when he backs off, start going after him. "Be more man than him!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup
    Christ i thought something dodgy was going on in here when i read the thread title!
    Appolagies
    This ain't the hidden board here, mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If hes smaller than you just jab, jab, jab and dance away. By the way did anyone see that fight yesterday with that real fat black guy and then a skinny guy shut him out!!! It was on msg i think,if youve seen the fight thats the best way to fight,dance and move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jab's and uppercut, and if you can cross block, go to the body with the rear hand. Easy work.

Thread Information