Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the largest crowd ever recorded for a boxing match, indoors or outdoors.

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What is the largest crowd ever recorded for a boxing match, indoors or outdoors.

What is the largest crowd ever recorded for a boxing match, indoors or outdoors.
    Help as me and my bud do not agree on this..he says sixty thousand, but Im certain it's more, but I can not recall any specific fights.....Failing that, any that have topped the 60,000
    Hidden Content
    A lot of boxing promoters couldn't match the cheeks of their buttocks. Mickey Duff..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What is the largest crowd ever recorded for a boxing match, indoors or outdoors.

Julio Cesar Chavez supposedly had 136,274 fans show up in a fight in Mexico against a guy named Haugen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What is the largest crowd ever recorded for a boxing match, indoors or outdoors.

Cheers for that one bud...I'd cc ya but still need another few posts before I'm worthy lol...
    Hidden Content
    A lot of boxing promoters couldn't match the cheeks of their buttocks. Mickey Duff..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I beleive it was Jack dempsey and Gene tunney 2...wich had a recorded attendance of 150 thousand people...i have a crazy picture of this ill try and post it in a few days,have to scan it..

This is the biggest attendance ive ever heard of.
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tins06 View Post
    I beleive it was Jack dempsey and Gene tunney 2...wich had a recorded attendance of 150 thousand people...i have a crazy picture of this ill try and post it in a few days,have to scan it..

This is the biggest attendance ive ever heard of.
    I think the 2nd fight was 127,000. Could be wrong.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BUMP-

Amazing if this is true it happened in my hometown of Milwaukee Wisconsin
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2...v-billy-pryor/

5. Max Schmeling v Walter Neusel – (102,000)
    Walter Neusel was a German heavyweight boxer and progressed his career in America where he became famous for his aggressive approach in the ring. There he joined Max Schmeling who was heavyweight champion of the world between 1930 and 1932.

The pair came together in their first bout in 1934. It was held in Hamburg, Germany and the attendance was thought to be 102,000, such was the huge interest in the fight. It was Schmeling who came out on top, stopping the fight in the 9th round via technical knockout.

4. Jack Dempsey v Gene Tunney – (104,943)
    This was the second meeting between these two great fighters and became known as the ‘long count fight’. The reason being that when Gene Tunney was on the floor, the count was delayed because Jack Dempsey would not go to a neutral corner.

This fight generated great interest and was the first $2 million gate in entertainment history. The bout took place at Soldier Field in Chicago and attracted 104,943 fans. Tunney went on to win the fight by unanimous decision and it was Dempsey’s last career fight.

3. Jack Dempsey v Gene Tunney – (120,557)
    The first meeting between Jack Dempsey and Gene Tunney drew huge interest from boxing and sports fans in general. It was held at Sesquicentennial Stadium, Philadelphia and 120,557 people packed into the arena to see the two go toe-to-toe.

This was the record attendance for a boxing fight for over 60 years and Dempsey was the big favourite to come out on top. However, it is believed Dempsey suffered food poisoning having had a small glass of olive oil and Tunney went on to dominate the fight, creating one of the biggest upsets seen in boxing.

2. Julio Cesar Chavez v Greg Haugen – (132,247)
    Fast forward to 1993 and Mexico City was the stage for the fight between Julio Cesar Chavez and Greg Haugen. The match took place in the huge Estadio Azteca, the scene of both the 1970 and 1986 World Cup finals.

It was a night to forget for Haugen who went down almost immediately in the first round but battled on gamely until the 5th round. Chavez knocked him down again and this time there was no coming back to the delight of the 132,247 spectators.

Tony Zale v Billy Pryor – (135,000)
    For the biggest attendance in the history of boxing we head back to the 1940’s and the contest between Tony Zale and Billy Pryor. What makes this fight different from those above is the fact this was a free show, none of the spectators were asked to buy a ticket.

The bout was held at Juneau Park, Milwaukee and just over 135,000 people are believed to have attended. Zale was the favourite and the fight quickly developed in his favour. He had Pryor on the back foot for most of the contest and eventually

https://www.irish-boxing.com/5-bigge...boxing/knocked him out having previously put him on the canvass several times.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Froch vs Groves must been electrical- 80 thousand!

Klitschko vs Joshua 90 thousand.

What got me to thinking about this was rewatching Spence vs Garica @ AT&T Stadium in Arlington Texas ranked #3 all-time at 47,525 Pretty impressive for 2 guys trying to make history as opposed to veterans already proven.

Canelo was #1Smith @ 51 thousand & Pac took 2nd & 4th place Clottey/50 thousand & Rito/41 thousand.

Amazing that the man who made the most money comes nowhere close to most tickets sold.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In all honesty, I have no idea what is the record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Largest indoor gate was 63,000 for Ali VS Spinks 2

Largest outdoor was Chavez VS Haugen at something like 134,000 plus

Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't imagine 134,000... from half a mile away I'm sure it was like watching ants doing the salsa
    Down Goes Frazier!!! Down Goes Frazier!!! Down Goes Frazier!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cosell View Post
    I can't imagine 134,000... from half a mile away I'm sure it was like watching ants doing the salsa
    Keep up the good descriptions, Howard would be proud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no way would you get crowds like that in the u.k and u.s the fire restrictions and all that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fugaziuk
    no way would you get crowds like that in the u.k and u.s the fire restrictions and all that.
    eh, I wouldn't say that, they pack in just over 110,000 every year to watch Michigan and Ohio St. on the ole gridirion, so the possibility IS there should Americans decide it's time to start loving boxing again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

really ?? wow i bet that game is awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah man, I went to one a few years ago... it's deafening... I went to the University of Georgia and our capacity was almost 93,000... the sound in that stadium was also unbelievable... it's really amazing when that many people get together to rock it out

Thread Information