Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Jack Dempsey Have Something In His Gloves Against Jess Willard ??

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Did Jack Dempsey Have Something In His Gloves Against Jess Willard ??

I found this.

"Willard contended all his life that Dempsey's gloves -- or at least the left one which did all the damage -- contained something other than usual padding."

Does anyone know more about this ??

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did Jack Dempsey Have Something In His Gloves Against Jess Willard ??

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    I found this.

"Willard contended all his life that Dempsey's gloves -- or at least the left one which did all the damage -- contained something other than usual padding."

Dempey was a mean son of a bit!! and Rickard was a shrewd promoter.I doubt it but the sh!! you find out about back then is Crazy.I think it had more to do with Willards 3 years off and lack of........."Urgency" lets say to face Dempsey.Rickard had to Guarentee Willard $100,000 to just get him in the ring.Dempsey said he only weighed 180 lbs compared to Willards 240 +

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did Jack Dempsey Have Something In His Gloves Against Jess Willard ??

I doubt he would have continued to get up if he thought there was something in Dempseys gloves. Also Dempseys hands would have been dismantled had he had something in there.

El Kabong Guest

....it was rumored that Dempsey had a railroad spike in the thumb of his glove and this accusation was brought by Jack's former trainer and was later retracted as they became friends again

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    ....it was rumored that Dempsey had a railroad spike in the thumb of his glove and this accusation was brought by Jack's former trainer and was later retracted as they became friends again
    It's difficult to no what to believe, it was a common occurance back then for such things to happen back then and Dempsey was a rough fella, it's difficult to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    I found this.

Considering the man could go toe to toe with Johnson,and lost teeth,had his jaw,cheek,and ribs broken in the fight,and it was a pretty common practice to slip some powdered lead in to a glove,and was down 7 times in the first,wouldnt exactly make me die of shock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No. Absolutely not.

The rules were a lot different then & the beat downs a lot more severe. This one was really REALLY bad. I saw either tape or disc of the fight & I think that it was the first round actually that was so bad.

Dempsey dropped Willard & then waited on him to try to get up & whacked him again.

Dempsey ended up dropping him 7 or 8 times I think before he was counted out.

Trust me...he's just bitter as piss about getting his ass handed to him so soundly.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    No. Absolutely not.

The rules were a lot different then & the beat downs a lot more severe. This one was really REALLY bad. I saw either tape or disc of the fight & I think that it was the first round actually that was so bad.

Dempsey dropped Willard & then waited on him to try to get up & whacked him again.

Trust me...he's just bitter as piss about getting his a** handed to him so soundly.
    The only bit i really dissapprove of those fights is that you were allowed stand over a downed opponent, Dempsey didn't allow him a chance to even stand straight before the onslaught continued

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    No. Absolutely not.

Trust me...he's just bitter as piss about getting his a** handed to him so soundly.
    The only bit i really dissapprove of those fights is that you were allowed stand over a downed opponent, Dempsey didn't allow him a chance to even stand straight before the onslaught continued
    No shit, right?

Now we see how valueable the ole' nuetral corner rule is. Once the juice get's pumpin' through some of these fool's veins that = BOOM...dain bramage brain damage.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    No. Absolutely not.

No S***, right?

Now we see how valueable the ole' nuetral corner rule is. Once the juice get's pumpin' through some of these fool's veins that = BOOM...dain bramage brain damage.
    Yeah for sure!!!
    Wack u every see any footage of Dempsey v Firpo
    That wasn't a boxing match that was a double assault charge!

ICB Guest

No. Absolutely not.

I've seen the fight Wacko a couple of times i also found this.

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/dempsey_gloves.html

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey! I was just watchin an old dvd i have and it folows the storiess of pretty much every linear Heavy champion since the introduction of the Queensbury rules.

When the highlighted Dempsey, they said the obvious, he was tough, brought up mean and hardened from the mines.

But then the narrator said something shocking...."Dempsey fought in the ring as he fought in the mining bars, he fought viciously with a style designed to fend off miners, hobos and homosexuals..."

WTF?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read some where a long time ago his hands were covered in plaster cast.
    Balls

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was this the fight that he had a nail or something in his glove? i read in a book about this and he just fucked him up and knocked him down until the ref stopped it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah he had something in his gloves...A KO punch that embaressed Willard in front of the world!!!!

Gloves were too small back then to really conceal much in them....There would have been some sort of damage to Dempseys hand....I have heard about 5 or 6 different versions on what he might of had,,,One even stated his hand was in concrete......There was no explaniation on why he beat Willard to a pulp so they had to make something up.....Fact was Willard was out of shape...Jack was mean...jack was hungry literally....Jess and his people thought too much of themselves
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Thread Information