Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Overhand Right?

Hey guys,

Would anyone care to give me a brief description of this and when it would be of main use?

From what I can gather it's a regular right thrown, then a dropping motion of the hips (hard to explain) and in which circumstances would it be effective. Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The overhand right...?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Harris
    Hey guys,

Would anyone care to give me a brief description of this and when it would be of main use?

From what I can gather it's a regular right thrown, then a dropping motion of the hips (hard to explain) and in which circumstances would it be effective. Thanks
    Hey LH,
    tHis punch is commonly used with an opponent witha high guard or as a counterpunch.
    My understanding of the overhand is that where the straight right is thrown long an directly out, the overhand is a shorter punch, which may involve "loading up."
    From my understanding the hand is drawn bac slightly, then released and the elbow is raised.
    This means the arm will be thrown from a different loaction on the shoulder (higher,)

Does that help at all

I thought not...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Harris
    Hey guys,

Hey LH,
    tHis punch is commonly used with an opponent witha high guard or as a counterpunch.
    My understanding of the overhand is that where the straight right is thrown long an directly out, the overhand is a shorter punch, which may involve "loading up."
    From my understanding the hand is drawn bac slightly, then released and the elbow is raised.
    This means the arm will be thrown from a different loaction on the shoulder (higher,)

Does that help at all

I thought not...
    Thats great, more than I knew anyway. Lennox Lewis throws them a bit, and I was told after sparring a week back that I could have countered his straight rights with an over hand.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah tall fighters may find them advantageous, Gerald McClellan used to commonly use a combonation that went: Jab-Right Straight-Right Overhand and it was devastating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Works well over a jab. In my gym we often have chase where one person can throw whatever they want and the other only defend with jabs.

To begin with being the defender SUCKS but after a while you find a lot of ways to use a jab and the attacker needs to think a lot more to get in - in that case an overhand right seems to work for me (if I'm attacking).
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    Works well over a jab. In my gym we often have chase where one person can throw whatever they want and the other only defend with jabs.

To begin with being the defender SUCKS but after a while you find a lot of ways to use a jab and the attacker needs to think a lot more to get in - in that case an overhand right seems to work for me (if I'm attacking).
    When you begin to use it the jab is a brilliant form of defence. Triple is and slide to the side and your gone! I love doing that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah overhand right is perfect for going over jabs, it's even better after firing a left uppercut. Left uppercut overhand right is devostating, the uppercut breaks the guard and puts you in the perfect position without having to load up anymore to get great power behind the punch.

It sort of acts like a corkscrew motion to put it best, where your elbow shoots out so it has a slight loop to it allowing you to put more shoulder and hip into the punch. It's one of my favourite punches. Try throwing it when you can predict the jab coming throw it at the same time, when you get it correct the corkscrew motion knocks their jab down and out the way and you can land cleanly anywhere on their right side of their face.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are you talking about an overhand cross,incredibly effective punch,you can catch them as they peek a boo,and it lands with big time power

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

and all this time i thought that everyone hated this punch...i use it and am constantly chastised about it by trainers that hate it....sigh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    and all this time i thought that everyone hated this punch...i use it and am constantly chastised about it by trainers that hate it....sigh
    Gotta be tall and fast imo!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

am tall but funny thing everyone that tells me not to throw it, also says only short fighters should use it...all i know is it works for me when i get to close for a cross

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the old days this was called the right cross, because it "crossed" over an opponent's jab. You slip inside his jab and throw a right hook to his chin. Tall fighters have an advantage there, maybe, but an opponent has to jab up at a taller guy, making the punch harder to land unless you create angles. Many shorter fighters have had tremendous success with this punch because their opponents tend to jab down at them, leaving themselves vulnerable to this punch as they lean into it.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought it was a loop shot around and over the top of an extended arm from the outside position.
    MAybe that was called the bolo shot i think ,different shot.
    I like it anyway, cause the arm covers the intent of the shot and so it can be a ko shot from seemingly out of nowhere.
    Ive used it against taller opponents too. that have a long jab that they made the mistake of holding out there too long for control.
    You can even switchfeet under neath that arm by going forwards and under with your head taken there by your rear leg heading out on a 45 angle as you pull the left foot back around into stance as you land the right over hand bomb over his left arm. (its safe to switch there in that spot,actually gives you a power advantage).
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now that Ive figured out how to use the film option on my camera,Im thinking I should take advantage of my You Tube acount to go over the basic punches

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Lord Harris,
    You asked:

The overhand right (or left) is a rear-handed slightly-hooking, downward convex-arc punch normally used against a matching-stance opponent (i.e. orthodox vs orthodox or southpaw vs southpaw) that is mainly intended as a simultaneous counter over an opponent's left (or right) jab.

More descriptively, it is thrown like this from a left lead (i.e. orthodox) stance:
    1. "Trigger step" 30 to 45 degrees to the left with your left foot to open up the hips and generate momemtum.
    2. "Hip-whip" (as you would, for example, when you swing a baseball bat) the right hip towards your opponent to recoil the right (striking side) shoulder and put hip & leg torque into the punch.
    3. Raise your right elbow slightly above your right shoulder and turn your right fist at a 30 to 90 degree position (you will naturally adjust your fist position according to the relative position of your opponent's left arm as you counter) with the right palm facing away from you.
    4. As you do this, lean/angle your body to the left (your weight distribution now primarily shifting to/over the lead left foot) and "shoulder-whip" your right arm "rainbow-arching" it over your opponent's left arm as you shoot it to and through the left side of your opponent's jawline.
    5. Follow-through with your shot as you strike through the jawline target. Simultaneously, let your rear right leg naturally follow-through, "gliding" forward (right knee slightly bent naturally) as your punch makes contact.
    6. Retract your punching hand back in a "pulling" arc back to your guard position.
    7. As you are doing the above, be sure to have your chin tucked and left hand up protecting the left side of your head as you are throwing your overhand punch.

This punch is a versatile one, as all boxing punches are, that can be used to discombobulate an opponent with its non-traditional oblique trajectory. Besides the aforementioned, you can use it to split an opponent's high guard and nail him down the middle. It is also a potent punch that a smaller man can effectively employ against a larger/taller adversary, especially at close range. Furthermore, it is an effective punch to use in combination with the other more "traditional" boxing blows to confuse and overwhelm opponents who are used to defending the standard lines of attack.

Anyway, I hope this helps you out. Take care...

Thread Information