Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hey guys, could use some help.

Hey all. I'm 16 years old and i don't have any boxing experience but i'm very interested in it. I'm going to look into it sometime soon. Anyways, in the meantime, i could use your guys' tips.

About 4 or 5 of my friends have boxed eachother before at my friends house. They've done this maybe 5 times or so. I have never been there when they boxed. This Friday their boxing though and they want me to box this one kid. I'm just looking for any tips you guys have since i've never boxed before. I'm not a complete idiot and it's not like i know nothing....but i'd still like some tips. I just have a punching bag that i've beat the crap out of for a while now lol, that's all of my experience.

Anyways, this kid is 5'7 and i'm 5'9, close to 5'10, so i have some height on him. He's not in that great of shape. He has a huge gut lol and isn't very athletic. I have the power, endurance, speed, almost everything on him....BUT he has experience and i don't. He claims he took this self defence class a few months ago and he learned some from that, and SUPPOSEDLY he thinks he is a good boxer. He's boxed my other friends like 5 times. Personally, i'm assuming he's not good, he's my friend and just thinks he's a hardass so i don't THINK he's that great...With the height and my athletic ability over him, i have that advantage, but he's got that experience.

So i'm just looking for any help/tips you guys could give me for the fight on Friday...if it happens. Thanks a lot.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hey guys, could use some help.

If you outreach him ,Just keep the fast straight jabs in his face bang bang bang all night long and turn on the spot and move out from behind your jabs; if he goes out to your sides. Look to control him at your distance.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

why do people think that messing round with their buddies is boxing? It's controlled brawling. Boxing is a skill not some hormone fueled kids beating each other off up.
    If you are serious about BOXING get to a gym and I'll offer what advice I can from what I've done, tried, seen etc but I really can't condone these backyard warriors anymore!

BTW experience can overcome your confidence in being fitter once he lands on your face

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i agree with missy bouncing around on the neighbors lawn does not make someone a boxer.my guess is that none of u have been to a gym to box or else u wouldn't be boxing in the garden.i have been around and seen more than my fair share of injuries.take it to the gym.having said that,when 2 people with little or no experience box each other,when things heat up they will do whatever is in their makeup to do,no matter what advice is given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the replies. Yeah yeah i know "backyard boxing" isn't really boxing. I never meant it was. Honestly i think my friends are morons lol, but nonetheless, they are "boxing" tomorrow lol. I said i wasn't going to because i think it's stupid, but chances are they're gonna bug the hell outa me to do it, so i dunno.

Yeah i am serious about boxing though. I want to look into it and get to a gym or something. I just haven't yet. I plan to do that soon.

Anyways, you're right, a few "boxing" matches at a friends house doesn't make him experienced, but he took this self defense class a few months ago. He claims he learned a lot from that and so he says he's a pretty good boxer. Honestly, i don't see him being any good. I think he's full of it.

Thanks for the advice on keeping my jab in his face though since i have the reach. That's what i planned on doing. Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think his only chance against me is if he knocks me out/beats my ass real fast. He's out of shape and has a 20lb gut on him. He'll be outa breath and not be able to do anything way before me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Join a gym and get hooked up with a good trainer. I "boxed" my brother and cousin in the basement when I was a kid. We even put garden hoses around the support poles to make a ring. The only thing I ever got out of it was a beating and a headache.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We've all been there Canvasback
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

pinky,you are right your friend does sound like a jackass.a self defense class has nothing to do with becoming a good boxer.when someone says that they are a good boxer,or good at anything for that matter it's all relative to who they're saying it to.if it's someone that they better than i guess that makes them good to that person.but if the other person kicks the s**t out of him,then i guess he's not so good to him.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

me and the boys have been talking about cleaning up the training section so it's a little more serious so I'm not going to bin the thread because I think we've covered the general opinions on this sort of 'boxing' I will however make a load of people hate me more by locking it up.

Thread Information