Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cardio other than running/walking

I am looking at doing my cardio/road work about 7 days a week as i have some weight to lose. i don't really run/walk because of bad knees and shin splints. I like biking mostly at the gym and could committ to it 6-7 days a week. how much time a day do i need to put in that the weight will start coming off and i will build up my stamina. Most people recommend 45-60 minutes. is that sufficient at a good pace?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cardio other than running/walking

Yes cycling as well as swimming are great low-non impact excercises, the benifit of swimming is you get an upperbody workout too. 7 days a week is a bit much, give yourself a couple of days rest and mix up the excercises, say for instance 3 days on the bike and 2 days swim, also ski machines are supposed to be very good low impact excercise if you have access.

Where does the problem with your knees stem from? try strengthening the muscles surrounding your knee. Quads and hamstrings are the muscles that flex and extend our knees. Leg extensions and leg curls will strengthen these muscles and take some pressure off your knees.

With regards to the weight loss your excercise coupled with a calorie controlled diet will do the trick

Welcome to the Forum.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if u do 60 min.a day that's plenty enough to help with weight loss.i don't know what kind of equipment u have access to but i would suggest mixing in other movements than just the bike(efx,and at least 5 min.of walking on the treadmill 3x a week)example-20 min.bike,5 min.treadmill,5 min efx,30 min.bike).see what feels comfortable to u.also i would suggest against training 7 days a week,for this type of training 5 days is enough.your body needs time to recuperate.if u have enough time work in some light weight lifting and watch your diet this will aid u in losing the unwanted pounds.good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the knee problems stem from a bout with Cancer 2 years back. i had a type of sarcoma on my thigh bone and went though surgery plus 40 weeks of chemo that left my bones/muscles a little rough. but i will look to mix things up a bit. i go to normal gym so i will change things up. i have been doing that somewhat. usually i am cycling 45 minutes, treadmill for 5 minutes or so and sometimes elleptical machine for a few. i might do the stair climber instead of the elliptical. any opinions on that?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

An elliptical machine offers you an upper body workout as well as reduced impact compared to a stepper. The more variety you have the better it is for you, at the end of the day it comes down to what you can physically cope with that determines what you can and cannot try.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i agree. to be honest though, i tried the elliptical, and although felt a good workout from it in a short time frame, i am not at the point that i was able to put in more than a few minutes. i am circuit training with weights and machine 3 days a week in conjunction with the cycling. the weights and circuilt i do primarily for my upper body, arms, chest, back...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm 54yoa and have a bad ankle. I broke it in 1990. I can skip rope, but sometimes have a lot of discomfort. I do the elliptical machine at the gym 45-60 minutes. It's a good workout and easy on the bones and joints. Bikes are good too. Most gyms have some recumbent bikes that are a little more comfortable. Stair steppers are also good. The trick is to put the machines on a level that makes you work. I see a lot of people in my gym that get on the machine and put the level as low as possible and read the newspaper. You got to kick it in now and then.

Thread Information