Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Interested in Coaching

i have been a boxing fan for years and have trained a little bit in some gyms but never been in the ring i am interested in becoming a boxing coach does anyone have any advise for what i need to do to be able to coach kids with out getting them hurt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: interested in training

Sounds risky to me without your own experience - maybe volunteer to help out at a gym known for being good at it. Try to get a boxing coach there who can kinda be your mentor for teaching the technical stuff.

Also don't forget to research all the child specific sports injuries, child exercise physiology and psychology which many coaches probably don't know enough about.

I am always frustrated by inexperienced people assuming it's easy to do and preaching what they've never practiced though. Learn as much as you can and maybe don't start immediately but give yourself some time to prepare for the role.

I won't say you can't become good at it though since you're already the type to ask Qs and i think there are experienced coaches on these forums who have a lot of advice to give - even as you go and are finding specific Qs to ask like how old before it's safe for kids to train x amount etc etc ..........
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say the best way to learn how to teach it is to learn it yourself. I used to joke in my gym that it was too late for me to be a boxer but I could still be a pretty good trainer. The truth is, you can be told everything in the world about something but you can't possibly know the subtleties of it without having done it yourself. That doesn't mean you had to be GREAT at it, but you have to have at least done it.

Case in point, Freddy Roach. Wasn't a gifted fighter, but a great trainer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks for the info i live in a small town but we have one gym it is a small and i think that the trainers are volunteers the one who is the main trainer was a pro fighter and had alot of amature fights so he has expericence i guess it sounds like i need to get my butt up there and get my training in i feel like i am too old to do anything with boxing other than training expecally when i would be pretty much just starting out in the sport

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This question kind of hits my heart. I have been a boxing fan since birth, and I've spent thousands of hours in gyms, sandwiched around, sojourns into the music business, the construction industry, and what not. In the early 90s the son of a good friend came to me wanting to learn to box; I'd already been taking him on construction jobs and teaching him for several years so he had a right to expect results.
    I'd never been "taught", really, but had learned by watching and getting hit and listening until I become fair to moderate in proficiency. But this young man wanted to learn and was relying on me to set him right and there was no way I'd send him into the same pit I'd stumbled through. So I began by showing him what I knew, or thought I knew, and studying the subject. I spent more time in gyms than when I was trying to fight, read every book and watched every video on how to box, and watched and went to every fight possible. I sought out people smarter than myself and picked their brains. The single best day of my life was when my friend, a decorated amateur and a 7-1-1 pro that sparred regularly with Emile Griffith saw my kid spar and said he looked great.
    What I'm getting at is this: extensive ring experience isn't a pre-requisite to training fighters. Ask Ray Arcel. I think, in lots of cases, it perpetuates the same errors. But, if you want to teach something, you have an obligation and it takes time, lots of time. Know your limits. To start you aren't going to be able to train, or work with, a pro. Focus on specifics: master how to train one skill in particular, and you'll start to see how it all goes together.
    Dedication and caring is more important than "I fought this guy so pay me."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2 things to keep in mind,age and sex
    You cant start kids lifting before a certain age,which is part of training,otherwise you'll warp their bones.They arent fully formed enough to take the weight their muscles can lift.
    Sex,training girls is way different from training boys,the mindset is totally different,I had a girl this weekend it took me an hour to get her throwing the jab right

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do you need?

3 things: some one to train people out of... to know the ring inside and to know the ring outside.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With a name like his I dont like the idea of him being around Kids
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    With a name like his I dont like the idea of him being around Kids

hahahaha thats funny didnt think about that one had that name for years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can respect your enthusiasm but...truly unless you really know boxing as someone who has taken part for a long time...( not just a few amateur bouts)...or have someone who is experienced that has teached you please...I do mean PLEASE do not attempt to teach anyone....and teaching out of a book is not the way to go either....not saying you were thinking of it but just in case....

I am sure you know boxing is dangerous....and though you may get the basics right unless you are positive on what is what you could send a kid in the ring taught wrongly and get them hurt
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that is the reason i wanted to know what i needed to do and to know before i tried to do something stupid i dont want to see anyone get hurt trying to do a sport that has potential of being dangerous i would not jump into somthing like this with out knowing more about it i am not that type of person to just want to train some kids just because i think it would be cool i want to do it to help this sport in my little town and give some kids somthing to do that has displine and strucutre i love this sport and have all my life i have followed off and on for as long as i can rember but i know that does not qualify me by any means to teach people how to box i would like to eventually like to train but i understand i need to really learn it myself before that can happen thank you guys for the info and advise

Thread Information