Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default guard problem

When ever I box on the pads my trainor has told me so many times to keep my right up and it is always down. I noticed that whenever i throw a punch my 2 (RIGHT HAND) is always i down after the punch and should be back up. i have tried several things such as putting a pad so i can keep my right up. if anyone has some sugesstions that would be great!

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: guard problem

Repetition is the key mate, you need to do something over and over again until it becomes ingrained in you and requires no thought to repeat. What do you think is the reason for your hands dropping, is it simply poor technique or maybe fatigue? are you being allowed to get away with it? in that I mean are you getting a clip around the ear when you do drop your hands?.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you just aren't thinking about keeping your hand up when you throw, go through the motions slowly and EVERY time, snap it right back to where it's supposed to go, then slowly start to speed it up untill it becomes second nature to just throw and come back to where it's supposed to.

If you ever drop your right hand when you are focusing on throwing your left, you can put your right to where it's supposed to be, then stick a towel or a shirt in your armpit and hold it between your inner part of your arm and your body as you throw your left.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tie a (tennis ball) or boxing speed ball up higher than your head (smaller the ball the better for your vision and reactions.Make sure there is abacking board so the ball comes back to you straight away.
    Get into a right front stance so your right leg and right arm are forward and punch at the ball continually over a few weeks and just throw the punch and take your hand back to the side of your chin and throw again from the chin only so the actions are continual.
    This will train you into keeping it up.
    then go into the other stance and throw from the rear with the right hand too just to balance you up. Then mix it up with both hands later and you'll find your right will right up there with your left at all times.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

two things that worked well for me . First, practice your punches (singly and in chains) in front of a mirror, and not just at the gym. when you brush your teeth, take a minute, when you get dressed, whenever you pass by any reflective surface. See yourself; scared to fight him or is he easy to hit? Next hit the double end bag round after round withreal punches and while not moving your hands/arms (except on the jab) I'm old and tired and I can still put in a round without looking at the bag, and not miss it either It is all in your technique and knowing that the reality of thwe punch is in feet hips shoulders

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the simplest method and the most effective, get a friend or trainer and stand face to face as if you were boxing, now throw a jab, every time you drop your hand your friend/ trainer slaps you and the more you do it the harder he slaps (within reason) . Also when on pads ask the friend to hit you if you drop your hand.
    This works better on the pads as it is more realistic.

Honestly it is the best thing to do all the time, anytime a boxer drops his hands on pads i give him a slap (even a light slap gives him a wake up call). Otherwise your wasting your time when you could be teaching them something useful your letting them endanger them self's when they fight

I would rather be slappeed a thousand times in the gym than, punched in a fight because of a sloppy guard

Go light when slapping some one, i am wearing mitts when i do it.

HeHe not many people drop their hands when i am on the pads

Thread Information