0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Probably not going to get a response,but

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Feur and I have been competing against each other in one form of martial combat or another the entire time we've been together.
    Wether the SCA or sparring
    Sooner or later we'll hit eachother with shots you could go to jail for,and then it just escalates.
    We dote over eachother the rest of the time,but if you puts sticks in our hands,or gloves on our hands,all hell is breaking loose.
    Anybody else deal with this,or is it just us?
    That's the sport martial arts for ya.

Back when I was in karate class, if I was technique sparring and I accidentally landed one of my shots too hard, or my opponenet moved into my shot while I was throwing hit and got hit a little hard, a quick "sorry about that" would help prevent any anger from escalating. Of course, that was just an hour-long karate session, it wasn't anything serious or competitive.
    To an extent you just hit on why its allways the 3rd
    For the first two rounds we'll say things like "Was that a little much?"
    By the 3rd we're both hitting our groove,and are just thinking about the task at hand more then anything.
    That and we've allways been highly competitive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can see how spotting the windows that keep you alive sparring her and telling her to close them might be a bit scary Maybe she could return the favour though? I know you're the trainer but even the best get hit occasionally and if she helps make you harder to hit she has a more challenging sparring partner which will make her better in the long term.

I was thinking about what the significance of the third round might be. Could it be that you usually spar threes or she thinks of 3 or 4 round fights and has an urge to power up for the last big effort before it's over? Maybe if you start randomizing the number of consecutive rounds you do she won't subconsciously be able to amp it up for a final big effort? Sometimes do 4, 6, two lots of 2, 7 - but whatever number you choose she doesn't know before how many it is.

She can keep training herself to make a big final effort in bag work, pad work and the few sparring sessions you do decide need to be harder to sharpen her up closer to fight time (my trainers always like to put the pressure on me in sparring a few times the week or two before a bout). As far as instincts go I think that's actually a good one to have (i think i might start trying to develop it more myself now) as long as it can be trained without you two injuring each other.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    I can see how spotting the windows that keep you alive sparring her and telling her to close them might be a bit scary Maybe she could return the favour though? I know you're the trainer but even the best get hit occasionally and if she helps make you harder to hit she has a more challenging sparring partner which will make her better in the long term.

I was thinking about what the significance of the third round might be. Could it be that you usually spar threes or she thinks of 3 or 4 round fights and has an urge to power up for the last big effort before it's over? Maybe if you start randomizing the number of consecutive rounds you do she won't subconsciously be able to amp it up for a final big effort? Sometimes do 4, 6, two lots of 2, 7 - but whatever number you choose she doesn't know before how many it is.

She can keep training herself to make a big final effort in bag work, pad work and the few sparring sessions you do decide need to be harder to sharpen her up closer to fight time (my trainers always like to put the pressure on me in sparring a few times the week or two before a bout). As far as instincts go I think that's actually a good one to have (i think i might start trying to develop it more myself now) as long as it can be trained without you two injuring each other.
    Believe it or not,alot of it is just simple respect
    We respect each other as combatants, so we want to bring our A game whenever we're against each other. Of course the A game has a tendency to ramp up quickly.
    Every martial format we've been in,thats the way it is.
    Long long ago Feur had a crying fit because she thought I was targeting her
    And I was
    I had to explain,it was because I thought she was good enough to be targeted
    May sound weird I suppose,but we've learned to live with it. I guess what. I was asking,is does anyone else have this to deal with or is it just us.
    Im thinking its just us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm thinking it could be partly a small gym phenomenon.

Sometimes I get peeved by particular sparring partners but it never gets to the stage where I begin to feel targeted because I've got a few different people to spar.

I get to have a break from the ones who push me outside of my comfort zone. I think I need that break so next time I spar them I've had a chance to think about what I found so difficult last time and work on it - otherwise I think it would be too overwhelming day in, day out.

I think your situation would be extra difficult because you're so many different people to each other though. Confusing and awkward on both sides!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm thinking it could be partly a small gym phenomenon.

Sometimes I get peeved by particular sparring partners but it never gets to the stage where I begin to feel targeted because I've got a few different people to spar.

I get to have a break from the ones who push me outside of my comfort zone. I think I need that break so next time I spar them I've had a chance to think about what I found so difficult last time and work on it - otherwise I think it would be too overwhelming day in, day out.

I think your situation would be extra difficult because you're so many different people to each other though. Confusing and awkward on both sides!
    Im thinking its just us
    If she had taken Ed Parker Ken Po with me in the 90's,my Sensei would be yelling at the pair of us.
    Actually Chris is a wee bit sexist,so it'd be my a$$ getting yelled at
    He didnt intend to be,he just viewed men as di@@heads,and women in need of ways to protect themselves
    I dont entirely disagree with him in most cases,but occaisionally a woman comes along that men need to be protected from. He still has a hard time seeing that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So Talley needs to play coach and be a bit more forceful with the both of you is that what you're getting at. He's the junior member of the gym and doesn't want to try telling either of you what to do but someone needs to since you're in there rather than looking in from the outside? The way your sensei would - except without being sexist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So Talley needs to play coach and be a bit more forceful with the both of you is that what you're getting at. He's the junior member of the gym and doesn't want to try telling either of you what to do but someone needs to since you're in there rather than looking in from the outside? The way your sensei would - except without being sexist
    Think it'll need to be James,Talleys desperatly afraid to get between us

Thread Information