Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Shoulders popping out...

Hey guys, I'm just a casual boxer I guess (me and a couple of buddies bought some gloves a couple of months ago and get together everynow and then...)
    I have a little problem with my shoulders and always have. They pop out at random times, most recently when trying to throw a right hook. When this happens I have to stop while I struggle to put it back in which usually takes a couple of minutes. Following this it hurts and aches and I can't box anymore that night.
    Is there anything I can do, some sort of strengthening, to at least minimize these occurrences?

P.S. It happens with both shoulders.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shoulders popping out...

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...d_shoulder.htm

If this link doesnt work for you let me know and you can go in through the home page, Im thinking it wont be pleasant reading for your situation though what with the regular re occurance, have you initially had it put back into place by a Doctor and now chose to do it yourself?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've always put it back in on my own, I simply put my wrist in between my shins and pull on my arm till it eventually goes back in. I haven't found the exact method yet though so its always a biatch.

I actually did see an athletic trainer about it and she described it as "subluxation", which is apparently a milder form of "dislocation". She gave me some exercises to do, which I did faithfully, and about a month later she released me . Sure enough a week later they were popping out again.

Sorry I didn't say this in the first post, I was hoping for some fresh ideas on this...it's just that it really sucks because I'd like to get into boxing.

I guess my only option is surgery?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After treatment and recovery, a previously dislocated shoulder may remain more susceptible to re-injury, especially in young, active individuals. Ligaments may have been stretched or torn, and the shoulder may tend to dislocate again. A shoulder that dislocates severely or often, injuring surrounding tissues or nerves, usually requires surgical repair to tighten stretched ligaments or reattach torn ones.

www.claphamhealth.org.uk

When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Thread Information