Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default just started boxing..

I did some shadow boxing last night, and my arms are really aching today.. will shadow boxing alone develop some muscle and power in my arms??

Also, is there a page with all the different types of boxing punch on and how to do them right?? i went on the basics page here with the jab,cross,hook, uppercut.. are there more punches that boxers use??

Is skipping used mainly to develop fast/light footwork??

thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: just started boxing..

Welcome to boxing Dave and welcome to Saddo's...
    Have your first cool click on me
    Ok now your questions....

Shadow boxing will help your power when you are punching but not how you may think...Shadow boxing is used to perfect technique and combinations...the better your technique the better your power...
    See young George Foreman...Booming power puncher, but very reckless, had he practised his technique more he may have been an even more formidable opponent!

Shadow boxing will not build muscle...what it will do (when done at a high pace,) is, it will become a cardiovascular workout, strip fat from your existing muscles and make you appear more "cut."

In all actuality Dave, muscle mass may not be advantageous at all in bpoxing as it adds weight to the frame and may result in you becoming cumbersome and slow. so ithats the science bit...trying to find the optimum balance.

And yes, skipping does help develop good footwork, aswell as improved henad eye co-ordination, better bio mechanics (here on the forum Scrap is an expert on those...) and again when done at pace it is an excellent cardio vascular excercise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donny,your getting good at awnsering these questions
    I dont really have a heap to add,mind its early over here,so I may think of something when Ive had my nap

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Donny,your getting good at awnsering these questions
    I dont really have a heap to add,mind its early over here,so I may think of something when Ive had my nap
    Well, thats largely due to yourself Scrap and Chris N helping me out....I'm taking in as many points of view and techniques as i can myself and implementing them into my training.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shadow boxing is entirely about developing technique and the mental aspects of the game. The mirror lets you see and correct your flaws. Then get in the ring and fight three rounds against an imaginary opponent and really work. ALL of the old-time trainers said that, if you could only do one exercise, shadow-box.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Im a big beleiver in it, the longer you look at it and impliment the different aspects the more im convinced about its usefulness. You see fighters on the Heavy bags and cringe, if the bag wasnt there they would fall over they let the bag do all the work. Never a step here or there never a feint waiting for the bag to close the distance so they can bash it. I go round a few gyms and watch and think what the fuck. Lots of fighters ask what do you think scrap, the answers always the same, I think the bag has more brains than you. Get the same old answer, what do you mean.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Joe Im a big beleiver in it, the longer you look at it and impliment the different aspects the more im convinced about its usefulness. You see fighters on the Heavy bags and cringe, if the bag wasnt there they would fall over they let the bag do all the work. Never a step here or there never a feint waiting for the bag to close the distance so they can bash it. I go round a few gyms and watch and think what the F***. Lots of fighters ask what do you think scrap, the answers always the same, I think the bag has more brains than you. Get the same old answer, what do you mean.
    Oh dear,I think your describing the dreaded,"push" on the bag
    Instead of force of punch.they lean in to it to make the bag swing putting themselves so far out of balance its embaressing to look at

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know, so many guys train so much that they neglect the most important part of the body: the brain. I know what you are talking about- guys that hit the bag, do the same combination over and over again, then stand and wait after they punch. They don't realize that you build habits that way. You always have to envision an opponent throwing punches back at you.

I saw this guy in Phoenix back in 04 that really caught my attention. He probably weighed 112 or 115 and he was kind of tall, working the heavy bag. He was watching himself real close in the mirror and working on a series of moves. He'd do them one at a time dissecting them until he was satisfied. Then he spent a couple rounds stringing these moves together, with head feints to get in, stepping around the bag, the whole shot. He really knew how to get the most out of a bag.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok, so now that i have the three of you here (unfortunately we're missing Chris) Tell me this am i doing right or wrong when i do the following.]

Start a heavy bag round with the jab, then double and triple it.
    T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Ok, so now that i have the three of you here (unfortunately we're missing Chris) Tell me this am i doing right or wrong when i do the following.]

T
    Actually thats often how I start off my first round just to get loosened up,I wouldnt start every round that way because repetitive stuff gets in to your head,and youll start doing it all the time in the ring,and the last thing you want is to be able to be timed

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry TM, my connection went weird a minute: Heres my full post....

Then i move on to my same combination sets:
    1-2-1-2-Hook
    1-2-2-Dip-2-LH-2-Slip-1-RU
    1-2-LH
    LH-2-1-1

Etc.
    50% Concentration on good punching 50% on hurting the bag.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Try and get the bag swinging and for a couple of rounds dont hit it.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As in use the bag as a movement excercise rather than an offensive tool?
    Like, You mean envision the bag as his body and practise evasion at close quarters is it?

Because if not and you mean punching it telepathically you've got to teach me how to do that!

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, you can't be thinking that you'll land all three and he'll stand there and take it Just for fun let's run through a couple of scenarios you might work through.

You jab, jab again. At some point he'll try a right over your left- pretty likely, yes? When he does you stiffen your left arm to "leverage" his right up and away from your head while you drop your weight to your right leg- tucking your head behind your left shoulder- then throw a right upper cut to his solar plexus and a left hook to his liver. To get out, get your right glove behind his left elbow and turn him to your left while you step out to your right.

Or, you jab then feint the jab to draw his jab. When he jabs you slip inside it with a short straight right to the heart, then weave to the outside while hooking his body with your left. From the outside you straighten and cross your right to his head and follow with a left hook.

See the idea? You always work your way in and out, always imagining a response from a guy trying to win. Don't just stand there and punch.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey, Scrap, you nailed that one. I already CC'd you today or I'd do it again

Thread Information