Gotta mention Willie Pep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Favorite Defensive Fighters

your right scrap shame he forgot about it and gpot lazy when he got older, still 1a my favourite alltime fighters tho.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

TM good call forgot him, He once told me if you fight and run away you live to fight over 300 fights I bet hes told that tale !,000s of times. He told it me in 64
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    TM good call forgot him, He once told me if you fight and run away you live to fight over 300 fights I bet hes told that tale !,000s of times. He told it me in 64
    Will O The Wisp was special,youd watch guys load up thinking they finally have him,and then the target is missing
    Actually thats why I like Bhops defense,the other thing I like on Bhop is he tailors it to you,he knows what you like,and his defense is to take it away from you,exactly what you want to do,is exactly what he goes after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

how about chris Eubank he had a really strange style of defensive but didnt get hit alot in his prime and i enjoyed watching it.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A guy I grew up watching that was similar to Frazier- in terms of stature and always forcing the fight- was Armando Muniz. He got hit a lot because he was always in range but he made his opponent miss a lot and constantly re-adjusted his attack.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    A guy I grew up watching that was similar to Frazier- in terms of stature and always forcing the fight- was Armando Muniz. He got hit a lot because he was always in range but he made his opponent miss a lot and constantly re-adjusted his attack.
    I remember him he lost to Sugar Ray Leonard he was good fighter shame he never won world title.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His first fight with Palomino was a classic.

ICB Guest

Herol Graham he used to tie his hands behind his back and let people in the pub try and hit him and they couldn't classic

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe I forget who was the guy who trained Palamino longshoreman always kept his job great coach ?
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jackie McCoy. He trained another champion, a lightweight, but the name escapes me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know something,its allways kinda weird when Scrap,Grey,and I are on at the same time. Even to me it gets a "School is session" feel
    I can only imagine how it feels for the young'ns
    Though by the way,if you can find a way to listen to Scraps physiogimy,Greys,general knowledge,and my knowledge of blocking and balance,and you still lose........
    You just got your butt beat son

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is EASY...

Altohugh it might not be something you teach a kid, but it sure is fun to watch....

Emanuel Augustus..the way he did the string puppet, awesome...it made it almost impossible to hit him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was about to go out but I counldn't help to wander on here. I like a lot of defensive fighters, but the one's that stand out in my mind are the ones with light smart feet.

Willie Pep had lots of strong points with his defense, he could spin a guy around, he could work around their arms and his feet were among the best the game had to offer. I always have to press the rewind button everytime he sidesteps, just making his opponent's blow miss and being right outside of their arm ready to catch them turning. I always enjoy a fighter that with excellent timing and have sidestepping down to an art.

I haven't been able to catch much of Tommy Loughran, or Benny Leonard's fights but from the few fights that I saw I was impressed by what I saw. Loughran could draw a guy in and baffle a guy with his footwork, likewise was the case with Benny Leonard. I liked how they would move one way, then when their opponent was preocuppied they'd change the direction of their footwork and catch them. They were in great condition too, their legs had to be to pull off those moves with such ease. WHen I watch them in action, I think about a mongoose, so quick so sharp, so precise.

I know that there are many other fighters that deserve a mention, but they can't be favorites unless you are able to sermonize them and see them in your mind.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am constantly amazed at the lack of respect Ricardo Lopez gets around here. That guy had it all. Both offensively and the defensively.

Thread Information