Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Am i seeing things? The mystery of the double step.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Am i seeing things? The mystery of the double step.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QBxXodXYEBI

Watch this match between Alexis Arguello and Kobayashi. At 2:28 Arguello throws a one-two combo. It knocks Kobayashi back into the ropes. But keep rewatching it starting from 2:28 and focus on Arguellos lead foot. I can swear to you that i see him take one normal step, and then a TINY little step forward right after. While hes throwing his jab. Its kind of hard to tell from the camera angle. But you can see his knee and hip bounce once then twice very subtly while he is throwing out his jab.

Do you guys see this or am i really just tripping on something in the air?

Now one reason i am asking this is because, a fighter at my gym told me to take just the slightest step forward and out with my lead foot as i am throwing a cross and it will add alot of weight and extra oomph into the straight. I tried it, and lo and behold! it DID add power to my cross. So i was wondering if what Arguello was doing was adding that extra falling step into his one two combo for power.

Or could it be that he was doing it for timing. Because it looks like hes doing the double step that goes along with the double jab, but he leaves out the first jab. So maybe its just more of a timing trick?

Trainers and posters alike. im calling upon your eagle eyes and knowledge. Did Arguello even DO a double step or am i seeing things? and if he DID in fact do it, then would my speculations on WHY he did it be correct?

help me out here guys im stumped thanks in advance

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Am i seeing things? The mystery of the double step.

Its one of the first Basics you should learn plus doing it going back is a winner. It makes the back foot see the chin theres no biomechanical obstruction.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well although i don't no the bio mechanics of boxing like Scrap does, it is one of the first thing a boxer is taught.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Its one of the first Basics you should learn plus doing it going back is a winner. It makes the back foot see the chin theres no biomechanical obstruction.
    Scrap, whatcha mean on doing it going backwards? A double step plus double jab going backwards? Does the falling step give you power going backwards also? How does this concept work? if you dont mind me asking

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To do the step is all down to the back foot, moving the front not being to far apart. To far apart and not balaced it cant be done correct, the best guy I ever saw do it was Leonard. Feet to wide stops the hips working as they should there shouldnt be any strain on the hips feet wide there is, while Hes doing it look at the head it doesnt move forward good techniqe
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To over simplify what Scrap is saying,hips shoulders knees

If your knees get too far behind your shoulders,you eat up your power,if your shoulders get past your knees you eat up your balance,if you try to keep them close to in line,you can move with ease,and hit with power

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh jesus! this fight...Yeah I remember this sorry I havent read your post yet but I just had to say very quickly of this fight; the body shot at the end...my goodness. Kobayashi was holding his arms in such a way that he exposed the lower bottom and outside area on the left side of his body. In other words - his liver. Everytime I see a guy holding his arms to block in a similar fashion I call it doing the Kobayashi. If he gets knocked out (and he defintely deserves to be) it is called being Kobayashied.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I keep rewinding to 2:28 but he doesnt throw a 1-2. He doesnt throw any right until 2:16 or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin
    I keep rewinding to 2:28 but he doesnt throw a 1-2. He doesnt throw any right until 2:16 or so.
    my apologies tabin. In the embedded video it counts down instead of up. the jab jab cross im talking about happens at 0:52 in the video not 2:28 =P

Now watch it again from there and see if you catch it.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not to sound like a record player, but yeah - we all do it... When I first started getting some really mustard on my shots was when I starting learn to do that... it helps teach your how to get your bottom half and top half working together to deliver the punch - some people are more natural at it than others...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've just started to concentrate on it again and i'm 100% more accurate with the jab when I do it.

Thread Information