Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Training Resources, Books, Videos etc for Learning to Box and Fitness.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Training Resources, Books, Videos etc for Learning to Box and Fitness.

Reading through the topics here at Saddo's there seems to be plenty of confusion over what kind of fitness training we as boxers at various levels should do either as a total beginner just getting the urge to try out for real the heroics they've seen on T.V or as supplemental training. That's before we get on to discussing the fundamental basics of correct stance to tactics used in sparring.

One thing I've learnt through training at several boxing gyms is the different training and conditioning methods applied by coaches. If the trainers can't decide what is correct training then how the hell is total beginner supposed to know?

Now I think I should say a little about myself. I've been involved in combat training for about 10 years, I've been a fan of boxing for much longer, I've hit the weights, read the articles and hopefully kept my eyes, ears and mind open to new as well as old ideas on training. So no I have no qualifications to do with sports science but I can offer advice based on my observations in the gym.

My aim is to provide a resource of reviews or tapes and book available that I think may be of benefit to the total beginner or to the better-conditioned athlete alike.

Stay tuned....

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Training Resources, Books, Videos etc for Learning to Box and Fitness.

Boxer's Start-up: Beginner's Guide to Boxing (Start-up Sports)Â
    by Doug Werner

If you are serious about boxing then this is the place to start.

Chapters included

Boxing gear
    Boxers stance & basic footwork
    Basic punches
    Basic combinations
    Application: Whaling in the heavy bag
    Basic defence and counters
    Punch mitts: Working office with defence
    Boxers workout
    Sparring
    History

This one book will be helpful to beginners, novices and one or two pro's by the look of some of them!
    Don't think because the titles include 'basic' in them that the advice they give IS. Possibly the most useful chapters will be working with the heavy bag - which for most people, be honest we can get bored when training at home or unsupervised in the gym, this keeps things creative giving advice on how to work the bag at long range and in close, how to work rounds etc. The other chapter which you'll want to know about it sparring, again provides advice on partner drillsessentially how to build up your abilities without getting used as a punch bag. No wonder the aAmericanshave so many good technical boxers if they train like they set out in this book.

Actually I'd also like to recommend it several trainers I've worked with to get them out the stone age

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Training Resources, Books, Videos etc for Learning to Box and Fitness.

New eBook, Ultimate Slipping - Dodge Punches and
    Score Knockouts in one Move, would be of great interest to your members.
    This eBook is sort of a "sneak peak" of the print version that will be
    coming out in a couple of months.

www.intellifight.com to find out more. Help yourself to the free sample
    pages and free online lesson (updated regularly)

Derek Liston.
    contact@intellifight.com
    www.intellifight.com
    .................................................. .................................................. ...
    That is a brief from Derek that he posted to me a few months back.

I have since been right through his book although only briefly and honestly I think he has covered nearly every move (that is direct and works ) known to the fighting arts!

Really this is 99 per cent of the singles moves, slips and counters all down in easy to follow intructions with photos.
    Its just up to you to follow and place what suits your style into your own training.

I imagine on futher study it will invoke even more thoughts for your fighting and even more moves as you can join up and link one section with the other to build combinations to suit your selves and your own styles.

Regards Andre.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information