Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: All about Footwork !!!!

You dudes seem to know a lot about boxing and footwork . Did prime tyson have the feet to be fleetfooted, to be able to get up on his toes and dance around the ring as fast as a young larry holmes ? .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are any of you guys there ? .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default This and That...

Excellent posts Totalfighter and Andre.

'Remember besides ring maneuvering, footwork is a main contributing factor in coordinating the body. I' don't pretend to know Mike Tyson, but I imagine that his footwork contributed to the effectiveness of his punches. Footwork also has a part with what you have in mind, Larry Homes fleeting footwork helped him get into eye-candy positions for his jabs. For any fighter close and afar, short-rythem, long-rythem, footwork will take you where you wanna go and open doors. Do the drills, do yourhomework and who knows, you might be floating like a butterfly before you kow it.

-Rocky ("I AM THE GREATEST!")
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did prime tyson have the feet to be fleetfooted to be able to get up on his toes and dance as fast around the ring as larry holmes ? .

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont think so , HE was directed to train flexable hip movements and knee bends and heel lifts all into the walk that we always saw him do.
    He would bend at the waist,Fists up next to his ears ,elbows down,he would come in low and bending from left to right so that his opponent couldnt get a clean shot off. All the time he was peek a booing in between looking for the space to throw a shot up. When he threw it had the other hip comming around as well as his leg straightening and his heel lifting so he was an evasive KO artist all in one set!
    I wouldnt say he could dance the night away like some though,he just wasnt built that way.
    His trainers were smart they worked with what he bought to the table naturally as far as his build went.

People with not so good head movment (like thick necked ,high shouldered heavyweights can still get it from stretching and training other parts ,so that the movment and bending and flex from their ankles up to their hips transfers up to the head.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What makes you think tyson wouldnt of being able to dance ? .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

people are always saying in boxing how you should try and move outside of the jab when its thrown so as to avoid the next shot(big right hander for orthodox), but when someone who's shite just comes at you throwing right hand bombs, are you supposed to move to your own left(outside their right) so as to avoid the left hook, or is it better to move to your right so you're out of range of another right? any ideas? if you can follow that

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As always Gary my answers going to be 'All of the above' the more variety you have the more dangerous you become, if you need any help with the specifics feel free
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gemini
    What makes you think tyson wouldnt of being able to dance ? .
    He could to his own limits, but not like a nimble fast footed less thick built boxer.
    His whole style was great and designed for his build, walking forward while bending low from the hips and knees kept his head and upper body moving all it need to for attack and defence,he didnt have get on his toes and dance around.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by garymad
    people are always saying in boxing how you should try and move outside of the jab when its thrown so as to avoid the next shot(big right hander for orthodox), but when someone who's shite just comes at you throwing right hand bombs, are you supposed to move to your own left(outside their right) so as to avoid the left hook, or is it better to move to your right so you're out of range of another right? any ideas? if you can follow that
    Thats a tight question cause it depoends on where you are situated when it comes.
    It s down to if your sqaure and nose to nose at the time or in a front stance,also if your over to that side or in front or over to the other side.
    If on the other side you can control his other arm (his left with your right)while moving away from his right hand bomb,(could even go in and slightly down with a ripping uppercut off your left as you go to that off side then you cover the path of his straight with the uppercut as well,This means you have two hands doing something at the same time,big deal thats how it should be!

Or if your in front of it why not go out under it or out to that side .
    Or even switch your stance by taking your lead leg back around your rear leg as the shot comes which takes you clean around it and you still control it as it comes but with the rear arm which automatically comes to the front in front of your nose as you go.

You could even just duck and come out behind him if he is that overcommitted and tag him with a gut shot as you pass through,pop out to the side and bomb him.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You say tyson wasent nimble on his feet if you watch tyson when he was young he was very nimble and fast on his feet . Tyson you say could dance to his limits would those limits be of larry holmes standards ? . Could tyson of danced as quick and as good as a young larry holmes ? .

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh for gods sake, Im just saying he is a short and thick set fello ,and was trained into the perfect fight machine to suit that build!
    There are better dancers and movers in all the weights than Tyson.
    He had his moments for sure and showed he could dance around and aviod ,
    Ali was the best mover / counterpuncher in the heavys.
    Tyson was best at sitting on his punches ,utilizing the lower centre of gravity /hunting his prey out from down low (even lower down than his stature) .
    I was just bringing up the point that what they did with Tysons style was smart and it got him where it did (The destroyer of the Heavyweights)
    He wouldnt of got there if he danced around all the time; There are better heavies naturally built to suit that style of fighting more was my only point.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default footwork tips....tips....tips

what are some tips i can work on for my footwork other than sparring like at tha y or sumwhere i can jus work on it?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: footwork tips....tips....tips

you see that footwork thread we stuck right at the top of the page where everyone can see it?

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

FOOTWORK FOR IN CLOSE.

Aside from what your taught in the up on toes and the basic moves for outside fighting;

There is much to rethink and relearn when in close fighting nose to nose.

Same thing goes for when bridging the gap from outer to inner fighting and visa versa.

Slight variations in stance or even by just a simple knee bend or a twist out of a heel can get you out of trouble or into it further!

You have realize what takes you where and practice it, so it becomes second nature.

Imagine you are standing feet apart square shouldered to your opponent and he is in a stance with one leg further forward than the other (front stance).

Now its should be obviouse to you that he can only reach you with one hand (Unless he changes something) and you can reach him with both hands without any changes.

Here lies the first realization you have to go through to become a great 'in fighter'.

IT is the basics to know what his limitations and yours are in this situation so that you can know what the consiquences will be if you change or move. THINK IT OUT, STUDY IT.

Most front stances have your body set at about a 45 degree angle to your attacking direction so your one handed until you twist in;(then quite often you are overcommitted off the rear arm).

Realize it, only use it when your safe.Practice it ,so your legs are still bent so that your feet can still take you out of troulble when your committed like that and things dont work for you like you planned.

You must know that you can remain square shouldered and still move your feet into a front stance. (this tightens up your waist as there is a further twist there now).But you can still move freely if you practice and once you can do it,it will open up another world for you when moveing in or out or down through and under .

Practice going slowly through these diffenrent shifts and stances and realize what and where they take you.Watch your reach change and realize what distance you gain or lose from it.

Imagine a shot comming in and change slightly so that your head and body move further out of range from their shot but one side of you actually closes in further for the counter punch ,practice it.

Practice moving your feet and bend and ducking under a shot while your twisted into a square shouldered front stance and see and feel the limitations and or the advantages in some situations that can be had.

Know things like, if you have both feet under both your shoulders and someone throws a straight shot at you ; you can avoid it simply by moving your heels one way which gets you out of their firing line and it creates a situation where one of your sides closes in on them too.
    So practice it for those tight situations and then put a step in afterwards and do the same with a knee bend on the outer leg and step under their lead arm ,readjust and bang you have them totally caught out and committed to their first move.

Realization is everything; you have to know ((why)) you are going somewhere for it to make a difference;
    and to do that you have mark out positions ,go through them slowly until you know ,then slowly introduce them into your sparring and then on to utilizeing them in the real situations.

I can explain it.

Thread Information