Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default All about Footwork !!!!

I haven't done much sparring recently. Could anyone give me some advice on getting my foot work better when training on the heavy bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re:Foot work

ok .... this might not help on the heavy bag but this is what i was tought buy my trainner "bobby bland" when following your opoint in the ring ie him going around you... Keep your back foot planted and make small "V's" with your front front so if he moves to your left take your front foot back and then step foward with the foot back twoards him. this will help you with your jab when steping back forward.. to help close the distance.... Most of your weight should be on your back foot just like in most sports like baseball ect... try to keep your feet shoulder distance apart give or take a few inch's... when thoughing your hook it should come off your front foot so if your left foot is forward. shift your weight to the front and too the left and then pivot your weight and hips hard to the right thoughing your left hand with your palm facing your.. works good if you though it after a right cross... so it puts you in the perfect postion. make sure you thou your hook out farther than the cross or you will miss almost always.. sorry i got off track but its hard to talk just about foot work with out talking about punchs cauz they all go together...hope that helped

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good to be back guys...

Now your footwork...

The heavy bag isnt a good piece of equipment to use to learn footwork, unless you put a belt around the bag and a belt around yourself with elasticated rope between the bag and your waist. Stick your arm out so you 6 inches away from the bag thats your distance.

When the bag moves you have to, because it is pulling your centre of gravity. I have always found this a terrific way for balance and movement and punching at the same time.

Hope this helps, there are many ways to do this.

Howie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks fellahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can somebody explain the "V" method a little better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeh i didn't get it?? but i got another way....

tie a piece of rope to both ur feet about how ever far u hold open ur feet and slack it alittle not too much....then do normal sparring and footwark training like move from side to side...after about a week of doin this wit the rope there and doin it every day for bout half an hour u will see a differece and skippin is very gd for it......ovi!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that definitley sounds like a good way to get ur footwork up with the rope. ill try that

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well good on bk poster child for reading back anyway..well done .
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah good work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lol y do yall keep thanking me for replying?? isnt this what a forum is about, helping eachother out and responding if u dont understand. Your Welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Need help with footwork

How to improve my footwork

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re:Fast footwork

tie a pice of string or rope to ur feet slack but not too slack and practise verything wit it on ur bags, shadow....ect ect....also get up in the morning and just practise....i mean what i forget is when i'm movin bkwards i'm movin wit ma front foot first thats somit i have to remind maself of...maybe u could think up some goals that u could think today i'ma try to do this...or this ..ect ect it will come natural i am told

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Skip alot ,Fancy fast footwork dancing around so you have erratic head movment and are less of a still target is one thing to practice,(practice it but you have to practice also when to lower and set yourself for the hits or else you'll just be a dancing point scorer with not much finish power ;
    The other more important thing is to be able to move with and acheive what you want with minimum effort/movement (that is faster and gets the job done with weight behind the moves).knowing where why and what you wish to acheive first is the key.

Read this http://www.saddoboxing.com/andre.html

,you need to have an understanding of this and then you will be stepping exactly where and why you wish to be.

Practice in a mirror and watch how subtle moves change your centre line in and out of range. watch how your reach changes in each small move or how your weight can be distributed onto the end of a move so you have avoided someones punch yet have added to your own power in retalliation.

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read that article and I notice it said something about the opponents timing. how can i learn to count their timing? is it based on their foot movement or overall body movement?

another workout i was doing to better my footwork:

i got a bucket and just moved around it as fast as i could in boxing stance while throwing double n triple jabs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some of you gave good tips. I'll have to give it a try. I think some of my footwork gets sloppy.

Thread Information