0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Chagaev vs. Skelton close

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowmotion426
    I think the Heavyweight Division is by far the best it's ever been and is waaay more talented than the other divisions.
    Why do y'all think otherwise??
    That is sarcasm right?

Nope. I think the Heavyweight Champions we have today would destroy any previous champion. V. Klitchsko could beat most past champions with his jab alone.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the Heavyweight Division is by far the best it's ever been and is waaay more talented than the other divisions.
    That is sarcasm right?

Nope. I think the Heavyweight Champions we have today would destroy any previous champion. V. Klitchsko could beat most past champions with his jab alone.
    I don't mean to go on the offensive but I completely disagree.
    The common consensus is that the 70's was the golden era of heavyweight boxing.
    I will use these as an obvious contrast to todays fighter to serve the purposes of my post.

Physical Comparison
    People put forward the basic arguement that today's champions are larger and therefore physically superior...untrue.
    Wladmir Klitschko is listed as being both 6'5'' and 6'6'' and a half. This does not give him a huge advantage in size over heavies of the seventies. The prominent heavyweight of the time was obviously Muhammad Ali standing a height of 6'3''. George Foreman was listed as 6'3'' and a half, yet i suspect him to being nearer 6'5'' having met him...The competitive second tier of heavies in the 70's wasn't made up of smaller men either Clevland Willimas was 6'3'' also. Jerry Quarry similarly and Bonavena also. Ruslan Chagaev of the current flock is seen as the smallest, who was the smallest of the 70's bunch...Frazier was. Frazier v Chagaev anyone care to call a result there?

More complete fighters
    In addition when viewed in contrast, one could trurthfully state that the heavies of the seventies were faster, more skillful and possesing of more heart and fighting mentality. Fighters like Foreman, Lyle, Shavers and Frazier possesed power that is envied by many of the heavies today, yet they also had other attribute to fall back on, such as Lyles jab, Fraziers rolling defense and Georges underestimated jab. Essentially they were more complete fighters.

Standard of Competition
    This leads me to believe that the competition in the 70's was more fierce, thus producing the great champions it did....Could you compare guys like Briggs, McCline and Imbragimov to fighters of the calibre of Kenny Norton, Jerry Quarry and dare i say Sonny Liston?

Wlad is seen as the most skilled of the current crop. Contrast him to the most Skilled of the 70's.... I think Box rec provides the most basic comparison available. Wlads nickname is Sledgehammer. Ali's is the greatest...

Todays heavies are a weak Bunch, so much so many boxing purists have abandoned them in favour of the "less glamorous" super feathers welters and lightweights which provide much more pleasing viewing. In the seventies the heavies were not only essential viewing they were icons as a result of their populrity which came as payment for their sporting prowess.

In summation I would like to add that I am not discrediting Wlad, he is a fighter moving forward and he would have been stiff competition for any fighter of any era...However he is not the greatest nor will any of his compatriots be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, I guess we're just gonna be 180 out on our opinions on the Heavyweight class.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So it seems

ICB Guest

That is sarcasm right?

Oh god, say it ain't so ??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ice, it's ok.
    Breath for me....
    Let it go....it's ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ice, it's ok.
    Breath for me....
    Let it go....it's ok.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cool Click Slow Mo, you seem to have a good sense of humour, stick around!

Thread Information