Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default straight punches same spot?

Is it important to always hit the same spot with youre straight punches,for example throwing a jab/rightcross,and what is the reason for this,does it have to be the exact same spot or does it just have to be an area the size of a persons head and also would the same rules apply when hitting the body,and also am i supposed to aim for the same spot when doing punchout drills?any replies would be much appreciatd...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: straight punches same spot?

On the bag I'd more or less aim for the same spot. However, put it in context. If you're doing shadow and you imagine your opponent's actions in response to what you throw you might decide that his body is open after jabbing to his face and do the cross to the body. You aim for your target wherever that is. If you find it difficult to balance doing that then the trainers might have some more suggestions for you which I won't try to answer in case I stuff up.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've always believed in hitting the same spot with my jab and my straight right. The great Freddie Welsh reportedly made a spot on his heavy bag and he would land his jab there every time. I'm also a big believer in accuracy with one's punches. Use tape of a marker and mark targets on your bag for the liver, the solar plexus and so on, and hit those marks with the punches. On the pads...well, a lot of trainers don't really give accurate targets. I like to work real close, where you have to step in and throw the punch properly to land a good "body" punch, and so on. I don't think its of much benefit to catch the punches away from you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everlast is kind enough to put its logo exactly where I want it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

TM you're inbox is full - just tried to PM you but it wouldn't work ...
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    TM you're inbox is full - just tried to PM you but it wouldn't work ...
    Just a sec,let me delete some stuff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What i've fouind in training is that it is good to keep the straights to one spot.
    MARKING THE SPOT IS A GOOD IDEA.

The reason I say this is because if you mark the spot nice and high (Fac/forehead level.) You will be forced to continuously hit that spot. However if you leave a bag unmarked and hit it for 2 or 3 rounds you will notice that you start to punch at shoulder height unconciously as this is the most comfortable.

Marking a spot and aiming to be accurate at this area makes you work to get in position and think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain
    What i've fouind in training is that it is good to keep the straights to one spot.
    MARKING THE SPOT IS A GOOD IDEA.

The reason I say this is because if you mark the spot nice and high (Fac/forehead level.) You will be forced to continuously hit that spot. However if you leave a bag unmarked and hit it for 2 or 3 rounds you will notice that you start to punch at shoulder height unconciously as this is the most comfortable.

Marking a spot and aiming to be accurate at this area makes you work to get in position and think.
    Marking the other targets wouldn't be a bad idea either, such as an X on the solar-plexus for instance.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I do use that a bit Chris, I find it very helpful to mark the solar plexus in getting my left hook and straight right accurate.

Thread Information