Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Have the gloves changed punch power?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Have the gloves changed punch power?

Even Reyes are pillows compared to oldschool gloves, and guys like Ali wore 8oz gloves at heavyweight for the longest time. Even in the 80's I have pair of that era of gloves and they are way harder than any current glove I've tried. Is that why there isn't the Hearns, Tyson type fighters who literally one punched 90% of the guys they fought? IT would be interesting to see Cintron's power in comparison to Hearns' or Trinidad's even because Cotto has shown me that it seems punching power is changing to more thudding punches from the ko punchers like him, pacquaio, MArquez, Pavlik, Klitschko.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Have the gloves changed punch power?

Well the smaller the glove the more damage you do but the bigger the glove the harder you can hit without hurting your hands.

It is the theory that bigger gloves = more concussions/brain trauma....but I suppose it really matters on the fighter as some guys don't care if they break their hands....also the kind of puncher they are makes it vary too.

Boxers that are extremely accurate with their punches it doesn't matter if you strap pillows to their hands they could KO anyone. The sluggers who just swing hoping to land on anything and do damage are more apt to wear bigger gloves so as to protect them if they hit the forehead or hip bone.

Wladimir wears Grant and still hurts his hands, I would hate to see what would happen if he wore Cleto Reyes...both for the other fighter and for Wlad's hands.

The gloves Joe Louis wore seemed like bag gloves, they just looked like leather mittens and not padded at all

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not sure about brand. But with the Mayweather-Hatton fight being at 147 and In Vegas, by NSAC rules they will fight with bigger gloves. Which will benefit Mayweather. It will give him additional protection for his brittle hands. And it will also take some power out of Hatton shots. If you look at the Collazo fight, Hatton hit him flush plenty of times but could never hurt him (the knock down was an off-balance thing). He'll have the same problem on Dec 8

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say, let the fighters choose the gloves they will be using as long as the gloves are acceptable.

Thread Information