Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the ring, what should you do if you are clenched?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default In the ring, what should you do if you are clenched?

Whenever someone clenches you, it really wears you out. If someone gets you in a clench, should you try to resist or just loosen up and relax and be ready for when he lets go so you can start fighting immediately when he turns you loose?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: In the ring, what should you do if you are clenched?

Quote Originally Posted by DMDTree
    Whenever someone clenches you, it really wears you out. If someone gets you in a clench, should you try to resist or just loosen up and relax and be ready for when he lets go so you can start fighting immediately when he turns you loose?
    depends, if you feel strong lean on them, wait for the ref to step in, head butt and put your shoulder in his face

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[WHOOPS! THIS MESSAGE IS EDITED]
    Bigger/heavier guys have the tendency to lean on you, to clinch, you'll see this with tiring boxers as well. And depending on your opponent, you should try to lean on him, get some leverage over this guy, or muscle him into a position where you can get some hooks'n uppercuts on him. If you are interested ask your coach for drills relating to clinches, moving your opponent, check out references on the web to, here's a weblink to get the better of a classic clinch. http://www.boxing-manual-boxeo.com/lesson10.html

One sneaky tactic that I like, especially if the guy is disrespecting you, gives you sucker-punch potential in the ring: Get into the position to push before the referee brakes you guys up. Push the guy back and nail him hard in the temple (step forward with a right hook to the temple, and they won't know what hits them) Works best after a few times the referee brakes you guys up. The effect of referee broken up clinches causes your opponent to feel more at ease during a clinch, giving you the chance to catch him with his guard down. This is one of the moves that Jack Dempsey pulled on clinching opponents.

-Rocky (Let the good times Roll!)
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why would a man go up to another man and give him a big hug ( clinch )? Is he trying to be the guy's gay lover or something? I can't imagine ever wanting to do that ( clinch, that is).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    Why would a man go up to another man and give him a big hug ( clinch )? Is he trying to be the guy's gay lover or something? I can't imagine ever wanting to do that ( clinch, that is).
    You do it to try to wear your opponent out. You can also do it if they have you cornered, or at least that's what I've heard.

But what if you are clenched, and the guy who has you clenched is heavier than you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DMD3:00 P.M.
    Why would a man go up to another man and give him a big hug ( clinch )? Is he trying to be the guy's gay lover or something? I can't imagine ever wanting to do that ( clinch, that is).
    You do it to try to wear your opponent out. You can also do it if they have you cornered, or at least that's what I've heard.

But what if you are clenched, and the guy who has you clenched is heavier than you?

If the opponent is heavier then you then you dont want them to be leaning on you, so you want to be looking to get out of it as soon as possible or use it to your advantage by nailing them on the inside of the clinch.

Look how Tyson never got clinched when he was younger and how he got out of the clinches
    5 foot 4 inches and 154 lbs of PURE MAN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One boxer clinches another to wear them out...

Okay, so how exactly does that "wear you out"? I don't see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For some fighters clinching is a way to get their opponent frustrated (out of their gameplan) to the point of getting careless/wreckless. Â Also if you are ever in trouble it's never a bad idea to clinch. Â Just like any other part of boxing, leverage and angles are a big part of being able to control a clinch. Â Never let someone just lean on you, that will take energy from you while he's resting, if he knows what he's doing. I'm not sure if that's the case here, or you are just being held (there is a difference).
    Â
    Â Try a half of a step to one side or the other while getting your glove to the outside of his arm (right glove to his left elbow or vice versa). A quick push behind the elbow and this could be a way out. Â No matter what you need to win the battle of position and balance. Â Pushing him straight back with both of your gloves to both of his shoulders is an option, but only if his feet are squared at you, he will then be of balance and easy to push. Â If his feet are set properly this takes to much energy to do repeatedly, as his base is solid and he will not move much with the shove.
    Â
    Â Work your angles (stay on balance while trying to get him out of position), Â position your gloves, Â and never get frustrated to the point that you try to just muscle your way out or try to throw bomb after bomb. Remember to breathe properly and try to not tense up.
    Â
    Â Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got clenched ONCE - I kept my elbows high and wiggled out of it giving my opponent elbow shots to the body and or head at the same time - Of course he didnt do it again - I guess he was so tired he chose to lie on the matt - duhhhh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal SP Killa
    I got clenched ONCE - I kept my elbows high and wiggled out of it giving my opponent elbow shots to the body and or head at the same time - Of course he didnt do it again - I guess he was so tired he chose to lie on the matt - duhhhh
    thats the way mate. Also if he pushes ya into the ropes while clinching then give him a nut shot with the knee lol
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One boxer clinches another to wear them out...

Okay, so how exactly does that "wear you out"? I don't see it.
    you ever wrestled?

back to topic, keep moving. He can't grab if you're not in front of him, he steps in to hold step to the side and hit him.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by snakey
    thats the way mate. Also if he pushes ya into the ropes while clinching then give him a nut shot with the knee lol
    come on, we're trying to run a clean show here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Missy
    Quote Originally Posted by snakey
    come on, we're trying to run a clean show here.
    Ok missy. My advice is if you are clinched dont struggle unless the other guy is throwing punches while in the clinch.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If grabbed you can put one foot back so your weight is falling, pull them into you adn as you feel them resist and start to lean back clobber them using the power off that back leg that is now bent.

If they are hugging you and you are both head to head ,if your head is say on the right side(on his left shoulder) cover your left temple with your left glove pull your head back and replace it with a right hook to his temple as your out side heel kicks out and your hip turns in.

IF the ropes are right behind you ,you can drop one leg back down behind you and sit back on the centre ropes and it opens up a space for you to spin out under his weaker side and then catch him on a turn.
    If you push back slightly he will lean further into you just on reactions and that will help you to go down and out.
    A little shove the reverse way you really want to go makes them react and it help you.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been waiting for Andre to reply.

Thread Information