Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defence? - Contains an excellent post on shadowboxing.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Defence?

some great posts cheers for the tips guys ccs all round.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had adopted a hands up "Winy Wright" defence after I came back from the shoulder injury as I felt my flexinbility was gone. Shoul;ld i loosen the arms up and let the reflexes take control again?
    What do you guys reckon?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Winky was a better fighter a few years back when he was more flexible. There's no point in fighting like your're old until you GET old, like me!
    Seriously, you're best off seeing the punches and using both hands to counter, if your physical skills allow you to do so.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everyday of the week old chap cc
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Gally,
    You asked:
    I wondered if any of you guys had any good drills that would help with defence that could be worked on alone and when not in the gym.

As been mentioned, the best way to work on defensive skills is with a partner(s). However, that's not what you asked. So, how do you work on defense alone? Well, let me share three ways. Before I do, let me preface that solo defensive skills training should be viewed/taken as an adjunct to "live" partner-interactive training. Nothing takes the place of training with "live" partners/opponents. You need live bodies to really hone in timing, spatial awareness, tactile sensitivity, etc with real-world movements and resistance. Anyway...

The most expedient way to work on defensive skills alone is by shadow boxing using a "vivid" imagination and visualizations. Conjure up someone as vividly as you can in your mind. Not only "see" him but also "smell" him and "feel" him too. Now before you begin, set up a structured session of rounds with specific objectives to be worked on in each round. For example, in round one have your imaginary opponent strictly throw jabs at you. Vividly imagine him throwing single jabs, double jabs from orthodox and southpaw positions in rhythmic cadences progressing to off-rhythm tempos (utilizing half and quarter beats in the process). In the subsequent rounds, isolate the rear straight (right and left) shot then the lead hook (left and right), the rear hook (both hands), the lead uppercut, the rear uppercut, and the rear overhand. Have your imaginary opponent throw shots to both head and body. Of course, depending on your skill level and such, you can isolate this element too. You can strictly have your opponent throw the aforementioned shots to the head only as you strictly work on that for a session. Then on the next session, have your imaginary opponent strictly throw body shots. In the session after that, have your imaginary opponent mix up the head and body shots while still isolating the individual punches. In subsequent sessions, mix it all up; imagining/visualizing your opponent mixing up all the punches to both head and body. Have objectives and be structured in all you do in training. Don't be haphazard and half-assed in training; always be goal-oriented and organized.

In terms of the defensive maneuvers you decide to use, choose them wisely based on effectiveness, efficiency, and personal predilection. It's good to master at least two defensive techniques per punch. For example, with a left jab to the head, the first two defensive moves I would recommend practicing are the outside slip and inward parry. From there, you can incorporate the catch, inside slip, duck, etc. Work this out with each punch for both the head and body.

Upping the ante a little more, solo training exercise number two requires a TV. This particular drill takes the dynamics of shadow boxing to another level with the incorporation of "outside" visual stimuli and unpredictability. Here's what you do. Watch any boxing match on TV/Video and while doing so, strictly focus on one combatant, assume the role of the other fighter in your mind, and interactively shadow box him as he is fighting the other guy. You can work on the full spectrum of boxing skills with this exercise as well as isolate any particular element you'd like. In keeping with your inquiry, just isolate this exercise to work your defense only. Take note, one problem with this exercise is that your opponent is not front-facing as he would actually be. This can be a disorienting element for some. With that said, take this drill for what it can improve--recognition and reaction time development.

Alrighty, the final solo training exercise I'm gonna share requires a bit more time and effort to set up but is probably the best drill you can do to improve punch recognition, reaction time, and defensive timing all by yourself. Videotape yourself throwing front-facing punches at the camera (better yet, have a friend do it so you can incorporate more footwork). Start by following the same protocol I delineated for shadow boxing. Staying on track with defensive skill development, make videos that isolate each punch individually, both to the head and body. Initially film them rhythmically then progress to off-rhythm cadences, culminating with videos that incorporate all the punches coming at you head and body in free-form fighting fashion. For instance, have a friend film you strictly throwing jabs to the head at the camera. Begin with a rhythmic cadence with a sufficient time lag in between to allow you to work on single shots deliberately. From there, you can film yourself throwing single jabs to the head in faster frequency. You can proceed with double jabs integrating them with single jabs and doing so first with rhythm, ascending to off-rhythm, isolating head and body then integrating head and body shots together. Do this with each punch then integrate them all together. Anyway, use the videos you film to interactively train and fight yourself. So, after you make your videos, put 'em in, stand in front of your TV, and interactively fight yourself. In this case, practice your defenses against your video-persona throwing punches at you.

This is a really good solo training exercise which you can adapt/adjust how and what you film to suit your needs. Your imagination and objectives are the limits to what you can do with this drill. You can work on most aspects of stand-up fighting and even carry it over to MMA elements like takedown defensive maneuvers such as sprawling. Ah, I'm deviating...

So, to recap the three solo training exercises I shared, they are:
    1) Shadow Boxing--Train your defenses against an imaginary opponent.
    2) Interactive TV Boxing--Train your defenses by assuming the role of one of the fighters and defensively react/respond to the punches the other fighter is throwing.
    3) Interactive Video Boxing--Make goal-oriented videotapes of you (or a friend/s) throwing front-facing punches at the camera in a myriad of ways and practice your specific defenses against your video-persona accordingly.

*Incorporate as much realistic footwork and movement as possible in all these exercises.

Hope this helps you out...

Train conscientiously and take care.

Best Regards,
    Lito

Thread Information