Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cory Spinks scraping the barrell again.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cory Spinks scraping the barrell again.

His next title defense is against Verno Phillips. At 39 he's a year older than Spink's last title defense Rodney Jones.

Before that his last succesful defense was another guy in his late 30's

Why the hell does he manage to get away with scraping the barrel with these crappy defenses against men almost as old as Holyfield and yet a guy like Mayweather can take criticism for choosing 'soft' opponents' in De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton?

Gice Cory credit for choosing decent opp when he challenges for a title but man once he's got one he just likes to line up a parade of stiffs and plod out dull 12 round victories.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cory Spinks scraping the barrell again.

One of the most boring fighters around!
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't say I'm his biggest fan but after being robbed against Taylor in a fight he shouldn't have had a prayer in, I'm not gunna complain about a gimme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn
    Can't say I'm his biggest fan but after being robbed against Taylor in a fight he shouldn't have had a prayer in, I'm not gunna complain about a gimme.
    I don't care who he fights... While we're on the subject who is Ruiz's next op?
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Verno so I don't mind seeing him get one last shot but can't deny its not a very important fight.

Looks like Sechew Powell will be his next mandatory if Powell beats Terrence Cauthen, quite possibly the dullest fighter ever. Spinks-Powell has all the signs of being a classic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    I like Verno so I don't mind seeing him get one last shot but can't deny its not a very important fight.

Looks like Sechew Powell will be his next mandatory if Powell beats Terrence Cauthen, quite possibly the dullest fighter ever. Spinks-Powell has all the signs of being a classic.
    Very ture. I like Powell and that would be a good matchup
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan

I think a fight with Powell would be good, at least Powell is a young fighter in his prime. I just think that in an already mediocre division with little talent these champs really need to fight each other to draw attention to their weight class.

Spinks and Forrest need to fight imo. I'd like to see Mayorga get in the mix as he has history with both of them. I know Ouma lost his last fight to an unknown but he'd be a better opponent than Phillips although I can understand the risk to reward ratio is pretty low.

Hopefully guys like Kirkland, Julio, Britains own Jamie Moore and Bradley Price, maybe someone like Ishe Smith or Grady Brewer if he ever fights again can get title shots just so we have some interesting fights.

There are no real stars in this division or anyone who you could really say deserves a title shot but at least defend against young up and coming fighters so that the fans get some exitement.

Spink's last defense against Rodney Jones wasn't even televised by Showtime, it was just an untelevised undercard fight. It wouldn't suprise me if a fight with Phillips is the same and for a fighter of Spink's stature that is unacceptable.

Hopefully his next fight, if not a unification battle will at least be against a credible opponent like Powell, Julio or even a rematch with Mayorga.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't totally dislike Spinks like most here. I thought he beat Taylor but hey,if the judges criteria is for the challenger to take the champs titles away,Spinks certainly didn't do that! He's a good fighter,but I wouldn't call him a A grade or anything. He's awkward. It's Karmazin's fault that we have Spinks as a champion. He was dumb enough to go to Spinks backyward,lose and not even get a rematch clause in the contract(in what was always going to be a close fight)

I want to see Spinks try to unify,I'd like to see him v Vernon Phillips. Not sure about this fight at all with Verno.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cory Spinks needs to fight Vernon Forrest next. No question.
    Oops

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldnt count out Verno Phillips just yet, he could k.o. Cory. He unlike Taylor will press Cory more. I still think Cory wins but this is no gimme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey man Verno is the one of the most underrated and underappreciated guys in the sport. He deserves this fight and deserves a big payday. Also I think he has the right style to beat Spinks. Even though he is older he has looked very good as of late and he has been in with everybody so Im picking him to beat Spinks, maybe even stop him.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Truth is no one is looking to fight Corey even for a title shot....He makes people look bad so managers stay clear of him...even if you beat him it is almost impossible if he is on his game to look good doing it...he will hurt you as a draw....
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    His next title defense is against Verno Phillips. At 39 he's a year older than Spink's last title defense Rodney Jones.

Before that his last succesful defense was another guy in his late 30's

Why the hell does he manage to get away with scraping the barrel with these crappy defenses against men almost as old as Holyfield and yet a guy like Mayweather can take criticism for choosing 'soft' opponents' in De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton?

Gice Cory credit for choosing decent opp when he challenges for a title but man once he's got one he just likes to line up a parade of stiffs and plod out dull 12 round victories.
    I hear you but the problem is that no one of note is interested in fighting him for obvious reasons. No money and he's just not a very easy guy to fight so most guys take another route.

I don't blame him for trying to stay busy and somewhat sharp.
    Francisco "The Wizard" Palacios
    WBA Fedelatin Champ -WBC #1 Contender
    21-1* (13 K.O.s) Cruiserweight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    Hey man Verno is the one of the most underrated and underappreciated guys in the sport. He deserves this fight and deserves a big payday. Also I think he has the right style to beat Spinks. Even though he is older he has looked very good as of late and he has been in with everybody so Im picking him to beat Spinks, maybe even stop him.
    CC mate Verno has always been under estimated and appreciated...he is just not a guy that draws alot of attention personality wise...he is real quiet...just like to go in do his job and call it a day...I have known Verno since I was a teenager and train both his sons Josh and Thage in the amateurs...Agree Verno does deserve a decent payday...though I don't think he will get a big one against Spinks it will be decent
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Daxx Kahn
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    CC mate Verno has always been under estimated and appreciated...he is just not a guy that draws alot of attention personality wise...he is real quiet...just like to go in do his job and call it a day...I have known Verno since I was a teenager and train both his sons Josh and Thage in the amateurs...Agree Verno does deserve a decent payday...though I don't think he will get a big one against Spinks it will be decent
    Verno Phillips is a very good boxer. Better than Spinks and Taylor IMO. But he's also gettin old.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Thread Information