Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hopkins wants new Calzaghe discussions...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hopkins wants new Calzaghe discussions...

I think Calzaghe would destroy Hopkins, he's just too busy.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seems like Hopkins is doing his best to make the fight happen.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Would this actually sell that many PPV's. I'm not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    I think Calzaghe would destroy Hopkins, he's just too busy.
    I think he may win a close UD but destroy? Come on u gotta be kidding, BHOP is too cagey and too good to be destroyed by anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it would be a tactical fight one which die hard boxing fans would talk about all the way to the first bell, but hopkins is passed his best so joe would have a 70 - 30 chance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still love watching the rjj/hopkins fight. That was a classic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn
    Ring around the rosies & tag at the same time.

They'll fight...but I truly believe that Joe will have to some stateside to make it happen.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Calzaghe would leave Hopkins retiring on his stool. Simply too young and too good.

Lets not forget that Hopkins had serious issues with Jermaine Taylor and that was a long while back. He hasnt got any better and has only deteriorated. The Winky fight was bland beyond belief.

Hopkins should hang 'em up. Him and Oscar are just annoying...either fight or feck off and retire!!
    Last I checked Joe was 35
    Not exactly spring chicken material
    That being said,none of this is coming out in the states so its all Frank Warren BS
    I dont want to see the fight because I think Bernard should call it a day as well,not because he cant win,but sooner or later he's going to get hurt out there
    He's got his money,he's got his place in history,now its just ego,and theres no reason to get hurt anymore
    But honestly,Frankie doesnt get it,his strong armed tactics wont work this time.
    Nobody outside of one island cares about his boy,Bernard sells the PPV's,Bernard is the name,Bernard calls the shots
    He isnt an equally unkown like Kessler was,desperate to create a name,he is the name
    The Brits will SC me for it,but its true.Bernards taken every big fight in front of him,and Joes taken every excuse not to get on a plane.
    Sorry Frankie baby,it isnt going to work this time,and Mikkels manager was afool for letting you get away with it last time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Saddo
    Quote Originally Posted by LBSCFC
    i aint even clicked the link i'm telling you guys this fight will happen.

there just selling it

and with the mainia around hatton Mayweather Now in the US Hopkins will have seen that and want to be part of that buzz against Joe
    hope your right mate. I think joe beats him
    i am mate Don King seen it with Bruno and now Goldenboy are seeing it with Hatton.... its a money making format UK Vs USA if the UK fighters have a fan base and Joe ticks all the boxes

so there is big money to be made to keep all parties happy... there just playing the games at the minute.
    Think you hit the nail on the head. If the fight would have been made after the first offer, and say they fought in March, wouldn't have been enough time to build the hype. Both camps are trying to milk it for all it's worth since it could be the last fight for both guys.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp
    Quote Originally Posted by LBSCFC
    i aint even clicked the link i'm telling you guys this fight will happen.

there just selling it

and with the mainia around hatton Mayweather Now in the US Hopkins will have seen that and want to be part of that buzz against Joe
    hope your right mate. I think joe beats him
    i am mate Don King seen it with Bruno and now Goldenboy are seeing it with Hatton.... its a money making format UK Vs USA if the UK fighters have a fan base and Joe ticks all the boxes

so there is big money to be made to keep all parties happy... there just playing the games at the minute.
    Think you hit the nail on the head. If the fight would have been made after the first offer, and say they fought in March, wouldn't have been enough time to build the hype. Both camps are trying to milk it for all it's worth since it could be the last fight for both guys.
    If you guys think Hopkins-Calzaghe is a cert I wouldn't hold your breath.

Doubt it's a coincidence the hype thinned after it was revealed Calzaghe-Kessler did the LOWEST EVER prime-time Boxing numbers on HBO.

The fight's not happening unless both get paid mega dough. That means HBO PPV in America (obviously the fight isn't happening unless Calzaghe goes there). How are they gonna sell a successful PPV with a guy that disappointed on free HBO and Hopkins? Hopkins last PPV vs Winky did 300,000 buys and they split $5million.

Calzaghe's mob have already revealed Golden Boy offered them, what they considered, a shit offer.

Fight's not happening.

Odds-on Calzaghe will fight Woods next.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it's a cert, I just think it's pointless the fans of both arguing about who's avoiding who, the fight will happen when the demands of both fighters come close to being made, which IMO has more chance of happening while they're trying to hype it through the media.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

American Bernard Hopkins insisted he "would never lose to a white person" when he came face-to-face with Joe Calzaghe in Las Vegas on Friday.

Calzaghe, 35, beat Mikkel Kessler to become undisputed super-middleweight champion last month and is keen to fight Hopkins, 42, next year.

And the pair almost came to blows at the MGM Grand ahead of Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather's weigh-in.

"I would never let me a white boy beat me," Hopkins said five times.

Calzaghe and Hopkins caused such a commotion in the MGM Grand media centre that former world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis broke off an interview nearby to listen, as dozens of journalists circled the pair.

"He ducked me four years ago," said Welshman Calzaghe. "He thinks he's a legend but he lost to Jermain Taylor twice and, believe me, he will lose to me.

"He will not beat me throwing 12 punches a round. I throw 1,000 punches a fight. He'll get his arse kicked, full stop.

"I'm undefeated for 17 years - look at his face and look at mine. He's all mouth. When he fights he doesn't fight, he holds.

"He's 42 and can't throw the punches like me, and if we do fight he's going to get beat."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7133862.stm

After the pair were hustled apart a grinning Calzaghe said: "I've never met Hopkins before and it was great to get involved like that. I've come out to support Ricky but this was a bonus.

"I've been chasing the fight with Hopkins for years but he's always backed down. You heard him, he promised to make the fight this time and I'm happy to come to America to make it happen."

The meeting was no publicity stunt. Hopkins has been hanging around the media centre all week while Calzaghe was only given a media credential at the last minute due to a radio interview he had set up.

http://www.sportinglife.com/boxing/n..._Calzaghe.html

I read somewhere else it's going to be 50-50 split too. There's going to be too much money in this for both of them to avoid fighting each other. It's probably going to be Woods at the Millenium followed by Hopkins in NY for Joe.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope they sort it out soon.
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It'll be a hold-a-thon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watching Calzaghe V Hopkins would be as enjoyable as watching concrete set!
    Listen Joe Balls, either fight an injury free Kessler again or face Pavlik, Taylor or even Jones Jr!!

Thread Information