Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Evasive footwork for a lefty

This is a series of two questions, but they both tie in together.

First, im a southpaw with a bad habit of shuffling straight backwards to try and avoid advancing attacks. I noticed that when sparring, my partner will advance on me with like 2 or 3 jabs to push me back, and i find myself again, shuffling backwards instead into the ropes. And thats my first question, what options do i have to defend the advancing jab?

I know circling right is the obvious answer. But that leads me to my next problem, which is. Whenever i start circling right, my opponent jabs and takes a step diagonal and cuts off my angle/escape route. Which only leaves me with two choices since his leg is blocking my angle to circle right.

I could change courses and circle to the left, towards his power. Go back into the ropes. Or move forward to stand and trade (which is probablly what he wants me to do.)

So my question is what defensive measures could i take when i find that hes cut off my angle to keep circling right? Am i checkmated in the sense that i've been trapped by my opponent and am forced to exchange to make my own escape route? Or is there another defense/evasive option that i havent thought of?

Getting your angles cut off sucks..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Evasive footwork for a lefty

You allways circle to the power hand if you can and cut it off,it takes the jab hand out and leaves you with one hand to deal with,if you circle to the jab their just going to jab you back in to place and cut you off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    You allways circle to the power hand if you can and cut it off,it takes the jab hand out and leaves you with one hand to deal with,if you circle to the jab their just going to jab you back in to place and cut you off
    ho my. I've often thought of this myself, circling towards his power hand. Then all it would take would be a simple slip of his straight right, and i'd be on the outside of his rear arm and he'd be defenseless. But for reason i had the idea that it would be a bad idea. Since everyone is always saying defensively for a southpaw, circling left is a good way to get your block knocked off.

I really need a better understanding of how to use my footwork defensively and offensively so as to cut them off before they do it to me. I find that when i feel im trapped, i get backed up too easily, instead of circling out and away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Walker Smith Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    ho my. I've often thought of this myself, circling towards his power hand. Then all it would take would be a simple slip of his straight right, and i'd be on the outside of his rear arm and he'd be defenseless. But for reason i had the idea that it would be a bad idea. Since everyone is always saying defensively for a southpaw, circling left is a good way to get your block knocked off.

I really need a better understanding of how to use my footwork defensively and offensively so as to cut them off before they do it to me. I find that when i feel im trapped, i get backed up too easily, instead of circling out and away.
    When did I say it would be easy?
    By go to the power hand your tying it up partly,and keeping the jab hand out,while still being able to use both of yours
    You go to the jab hand theres a potential for a really nast overhand cross knocking on your door
    You also have to be aggressive about it and maintain it.
    Its got to be your show under your control
    Southpaw Orthodox is the epitome of "The best defense is a good offense"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

gotcha. report back the next time i spar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Walker Smith Jr.
    gotcha. report back the next time i spar.
    Your either going to get clocked for your troubles,or have the greatest sparring of your life
    Fighting against a southpaw is tricky
    Being a southpaw is tricky
    But thats how you do it,just keep after it and it will come

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another not used often option, but perfect for fighters that face a mirrored opponent like in an opposite stance;
    Also because you have to be able to go both ways in saftey eventually anyway .
    To go the way you want away from his rear hand on a double or treble jab man; check his 2nd or 3rd jab at the outside of the elbow point as you shuffle out towards the outside of that elbow ending with you landing your reply shot with your rear hand low and straight with both your feet on the same 45% angle heading out that same way that your going, this puts your shoulders square to his centre line for that instant so you have two hands that reach him and he has his one hand that can reach you ..but is covered at the elbow point for the whole move so your safe and you land your left hand under his left arm as a straight centre shot all in one movment as you go through,(hopefully as he is still comming in) ,controlling his arm at the elbow with your right glove the whole time so even though it feels like your opening up your left temple to him he cant touch it cause its on the outside of his glove.

Depending on his penetration or your chosen distance you can either step out there with your right leg firstly then correct the rear foot which brings power into your left arm as your rear hand lands into his gut, or you can step behind your right leg with your left to avoid the first jab ,control it, then take your right leg out and land as you shuffle the rear leg up on landing your left for a home run.
    Timed with practice you can do the whole lot as one movment and its over in under a second and he is caught;your lead glove rides his elbow where ever it goes and your rear arm lands to where you feel the opening occur as you close or move in to that side.
    Where you end up chokes people out of their distance and they have to go back or turn into you to reach you and you nail them.
    That is not usually practiced so its rare to see it used, but think it out first it does add up to a great advantage even after your left straight shot you're still in the number one position and its his move.
    He can only do two things ,one is suicide cause he turns into a waiting bomb.The other is he backs out and your on him the whole way two hand flying to his one.

Practice them with your partner first and you'll be in there with a new gun.

I know it sounds odd but ;(if you push even slightly onto the outside of a persons elbow it disolves their other arms power completley, even if its already been thrown and its on the way in!)
    Try it out even with a mate standing slightly square in front of you ,you can stop his rear hand without touching it, then with the correct foowork taking you into safe ground to back up that knowledge you can open alot of new doors for reactive in fighting.

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

TM, now we're on the same page, but in mirror images...That's the same theory I have for an orthodox fighter vs. a leftie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    TM, now we're on the same page, but in mirror images...That's the same theory I have for an orthodox fighter vs. a leftie.
    Thats the thing I point out to orthodox fighters against a lefty,they are just as open as you are,and vice a versa
    If you go to the jab hand thats a hard punch to totally take away,and you may be just stepping in to it,let alone leaving yourself open to a really big cross
    If you go the other way,your hands up and blocking,and your taking it from the non power hand
    If your boxing me(Im a righty)which cross would you rather take,my right or my left?
    Wich do you think is going to be more instinctive to throw,my right or my left
    Goes the same way opposite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sorry for the lack of feedback guys, but when i've got some offtime i wanna discuss more with you old timers about how to circle towards the powerhand correctly and safely, and also how to effectively cut it off/smother it as im circling towards it.

And Andre, if you see this. I really want to talk about your post about getting to the outside of their jab and maintaining control of their elbow point to negate their other arms power. As odd sounding as it is, I find it makes perfect sense.  Sounds like it has alot to do with 'biomechanics' as scrap would say.. :P

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sure, Usually my posts are looked at with scepticisim, they go against traditional boxing techniques so can rub some people up the wrong way.
    I like a fighter who can think out of the square the earlier on in the fight the harder that is to do.
    Thing is, not all things work all the time. In fighting 'everything works sometimes.
    My experiences stem more from Kung fu.
    I love boxing too but there are about a few million boxers in the world today and out of that large pool of fighters only 20 in each weight division can think and fight to the extent that they will make boxing life easier for themselves through it and they are sad odds.That include who you know not what you know in the sport so if yourstrting out you have to shine above all the rest.
    IF you can get to know not only what works /BUT more importantly (when it works and when it doesnt), you are going to shine out as a thinker.
    Seriously in 80% of fights we see you could have two men set in a concrete block and have a simular outcome in some other types of fights you could tie one hand behind both their backs and have the same outcome too.

I think when you are fresh into the ring then its mostly down to your instincts and training reactions built on the tried and true ways of boxing,there is no disputing that and its a big part of the whole and can create the turning points.

Once you are settled into the fight , towards the end of the mid rounds, or in the last rounds ,you have more time to use techniques that only work when someone does a certain thing or moves a certain way.
    This is over looked to a great degree especially with tired heavyweights in the last rounds.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information