Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The British Boo & "Born In The USA"

I think the UK crowd booing the United States national anthem was uncalled for. Yes, we refused to accept taxation without representation and then bastardized your national anthem to create our own, but does that make it right to boo us? I'd guess not!

Mayweather coming out to "Born In The USA" was fine, but they should have cut the song off before it got to the part where it speaks of being sent to a foriegn land and the "yellow man."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The British Boo & "Born In The USA"

Its funny that "Born in the USA" really isnt a patriotic song if you look at the lyrics...lol Ronald Reagan changed that tho...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mate, most English people were embarrased by the booing. British boxing attracts the football fans and unfortunately, we boo the other countries anthem. Although most English fans would consider Germany, Scotland and Argentina fair game !!

Curious choice with Mayweathers entrance song, barring the chest pumping American themed chorus, its pretty much a critique of the American government and system isnt it!? I imagine most people arent listening past the chorus.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do these lyrics make you proud?

Born down in a dead man's town
    The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
    You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
    'Til you spend half your life just covering up

[chorus:]
    Born in the U.S.A.
    Born in the U.S.A.
    Born in the U.S.A.
    Born in the U.S.A.

I got in a little hometown jam
    And so they put a rifle in my hands
    Sent me off to Vietnam
    To go and kill the yellow man

[chorus]

Come back home to the refinery
    Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
    I go down to see the V.A. man
    He said "Son don't you understand"

[chorus]

I had a buddy at Khe Sahn
    Fighting off the Viet Cong
    They're still there, he's all gone
    He had a little girl in Saigon
    I got a picture of him in her arms

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
    Out by the gas fires of the refinery
    I'm ten years down the road
    Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go

I'm a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
    Born in the U.S.A.
    I'm a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.
    Born in the U.S.A.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

American vs Englishman

1. The fight is in America.
    2. The ref is from America.
    3. The three judges are from America.

You have to take into consideration the people booing the US national anthem are unbelievably thick.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People talk about fans booing to the American National Anthem which I find wrong. But didn't Hopkins also did his thing when he threw the Puerto Rico flag to the floor IN PUERTO RICO?

El Kabong Guest

It's a shame people are that disrespectful, but you can't really blame them because it was Floyd Mayweather Jr who goaded them into booing him anyways.

The National Anthem should be respected, no one booed 'God Save The Queen'......but I also think having Tom Jones sing it was partially the cause no one booed....he's Tom fucking Jones.....Tyrese, I didn't even know he sang....he did a damned good job in spite of the boos.

The people that booed have no respect and I swear to ALMIGHTY GOD if I ever catch anyone booing The National Anthem or burning an American flag they are going to feel the wrath of Lyle........and that goes far beyond politically charged rants!

I won't ever burn any other nation's flags or boo their national anthem either so I only expect the same courtesy

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Get real guys. who gives a fuck about the national anthem?! It is butchered every day at events by non singing motherf*ckers...... It's just a song written by F. Scott Fitzgeralds uncle.

Now I think it was cool last year when they had like 3 or 4 different national anthems and like a trio playing this shit at a big fight....that was neat.

And by the way..............The Boss rocks!! What would be wrong with a song questioning war fare? Much better than a bunch of rap shit (Spinks style).

"If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    It's a shame people are that disrespectful, but you can't really blame them because it was Floyd Mayweather Jr who goaded them into booing him anyways.
    The Hatton fans also booed the anthem at the Hatton-Castillo fight. This has absolutely nothing to do with Mayweather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was incredibly disrespectful and unfair to Ricky, Floyd, Americans and most English people. As an American I was disgusted at those fan but I know they dont represent the UK fans as a whole, it was pretty bad though and Im happy THOSE fans are headed back to England.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The National Anthem should be respected, no one booed 'God Save The Queen'......but I also think having Tom Jones sing it was partially the cause no one booed....he's Tom F****** Jones.....Tyrese, I didn't even know he sang....he did a damned good job in spite of the boos.

The people that booed have no respect and I swear to ALMIGHTY GOD if I ever catch anyone booing The National Anthem or burning an American flag they are going to feel the wrath of Lyle........and that goes far beyond politically charged rants!

I won't ever burn any other nation's flags or boo their national anthem either so I only expect the same courtesy
    WRONG.. The National Anthem and Manfredo got booed when he fought Calzaghe, and he didn't talk any smack.. so it wasn't Mayweather's antics, just the Brits acting ridiculous.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33

The National Anthem should be respected, no one booed 'God Save The Queen'......but I also think having Tom Jones sing it was partially the cause no one booed....he's Tom F****** Jones.....Tyrese, I didn't even know he sang....he did a damned good job in spite of the boos.

WRONG.. The National Anthem and Manfredo got booed when he fought Calzaghe, and he didn't talk any smack.. so it wasn't Mayweather's antics, just the Brits acting ridiculous.

Yes, it's true they booed the US anthem at the Manfredo fight but it is also abit strange that they never booed the Danish anthem at the Calzaghe vs Kessler fight.

My personal opinion is that booing another countries national anthem is wrong and just shows stupidity and ignorance on the part of the sad individual who is booing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

but it is also abit strange that they never booed the Danish anthem at the Calzaghe vs Kessler fight.
    yes they did i was there i heard it! being british im always embarrased by it - but what are you gonna do?

Was New York, Cali most recently to present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I must say after hearing both anthems side by side. Our's (US) is a little drawn out, but like others have said it was disrespectful to have done that. I could never do that especially being in that country.
    McGirt recalling the minute break between the 9th round of the Ward fight "He said, 'Help me stand up and I'll finish the fight.'"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am glad Ricky's fan booed the National Anthem, it made his loss easy. Going into last night I would have been heartbroken if I knew Ricky was gonna lose, after the booing I could only think "I don't care if I ever see him or his fans again." and that seemed to be the attitude of everybody in my gym today. As despicable as PBF is, people who would never cheer for him jumped to his side almost instantly after hearing that.

Thread Information