Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emanuel steward says pbf is not an ATG!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Emanuel steward says pbf is not an ATG!

Trainer Emanuel Steward, like Arum, is in the Hall of Fame. He doesn't understand all the fuss about Mayweather, either. In his mind, Mayweather has gone about avoiding all of the other true top welterweight fights.

Steward mentioned Cotto, Antonio Margarito, Paul Williams and "Sugar" Shane Mosley as fighters Mayweather should be trying to fight, but won't.

"I think a guy who fights against the best competition, and has his performance against the best," Steward said, describing his idea of a great pound-for-pound fighter. "How can you be pound-for-pound (best) when you don't want to fight the best?"

Mayweather, 30, was offered $8 million to fight Margarito some time back. Turned it down. Mayweather has scoffed at the idea of fighting Mosley. When asked about fighting Cotto, Mayweather refused to entertain the notion.

"This isn't Cotto's thing," Mayweather said, meaning he was on the call to talk about Hatton.

Arum has said that Mayweather will never fight Cotto because it's too dangerous of a fight for Mayweather.

Steward intimated that Mayweather needs to fight Cotto, as well as the others, if he wants to truly be boxing's pound-for-pound king. Steward noted that the welterweight division is the most talented in the sport today.

"To me, the guy that's out there who nobody may want to look at, I look at Miguel Cotto," said Steward, who trains one of the other welterweight champions, Kermit Cintron, but did not bring up his name. "Here is a guy who fought the best that he could at 140 (junior welterweight). And he whipped everybody. He's been knocked down, always finds a way to come back and win fights.

"Then moving up to 147 and fighting the best up here. Never dodges anyone."

Never runs from an opponent, either. To Steward, that's all Mayweather does; run from the best and avoid the best.

"You don't want to fight any of these guys and still you want to be considered the top welterweight when you won't even fight welterweights?" Steward said. "I just don't see it. I mean, you got people like Cotto who is out here fighting his (butt) off with the best.

"Great fighters like (Muhammad) Ali, he wouldn't have said, `Well, I don't want to fight this guy because he doesn't mean anything.' He fought everybody, went all over the world, fought all the best fighters in their countries. (Sugar Ray) Robinson did the same thing. Joe Louis. Those were great pound-for-pound fighters. I've never known a great fighter who picked and chose his fights."

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Emanuel steward says pbf is not an ATG!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Deuce
    Trainer Emanuel Steward, like Arum, is in the Hall of Fame. He doesn't understand all the fuss about Mayweather, either. In his mind, Mayweather has gone about avoiding all of the other true top welterweight fights.

Steward mentioned Cotto, Antonio Margarito, Paul Williams and "Sugar" Shane Mosley as fighters Mayweather should be trying to fight, but won't.

"I think a guy who fights against the best competition, and has his performance against the best," Steward said, describing his idea of a great pound-for-pound fighter. "How can you be pound-for-pound (best) when you don't want to fight the best?"

Mayweather, 30, was offered $8 million to fight Margarito some time back. Turned it down. Mayweather has scoffed at the idea of fighting Mosley. When asked about fighting Cotto, Mayweather refused to entertain the notion.

"This isn't Cotto's thing," Mayweather said, meaning he was on the call to talk about Hatton.

Arum has said that Mayweather will never fight Cotto because it's too dangerous of a fight for Mayweather.

Steward intimated that Mayweather needs to fight Cotto, as well as the others, if he wants to truly be boxing's pound-for-pound king. Steward noted that the welterweight division is the most talented in the sport today.

"To me, the guy that's out there who nobody may want to look at, I look at Miguel Cotto," said Steward, who trains one of the other welterweight champions, Kermit Cintron, but did not bring up his name. "Here is a guy who fought the best that he could at 140 (junior welterweight). And he whipped everybody. He's been knocked down, always finds a way to come back and win fights.

Never runs from an opponent, either. To Steward, that's all Mayweather does; run from the best and avoid the best.

"You don't want to fight any of these guys and still you want to be considered the top welterweight when you won't even fight welterweights?" Steward said. "I just don't see it. I mean, you got people like Cotto who is out here fighting his (butt) off with the best.

"Great fighters like (Muhammad) Ali, he wouldn't have said, `Well, I don't want to fight this guy because he doesn't mean anything.' He fought everybody, went all over the world, fought all the best fighters in their countries. (Sugar Ray) Robinson did the same thing. Joe Louis. Those were great pound-for-pound fighters. I've never known a great fighter who picked and chose his fights."
    Obviously he hasn't heard of Roy Jones then.

http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Then emanuel should have been able to train a fighter that could beat him..
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

El Kabong Guest

Roy Jones Jr. had less people to chose to fight from....granted he didn't fight them either but Floyd has numerous guys to chose from he could have 3 more fights and just destroy this notion that he's not a great fighter.

Floyd has beaten De la Hoya and Hatton and if he was to fight and beat 3 of the following: Cotto, Mosley, Margarito or Williams I would be all in favor of pairing him up with the likes of Ray Leonard.

Right now in my opinion Floyd deserves to be called Great but he isn't above guys like Duran, Robinson, Leonard, Hearns, or Armstrong, Pep in P4P rankings.

The biggest thing Floyd hurt himself with was not unifying any weight class he has set foot in...it's a shame too, we all know he COULD do it but he hasn't even tried to, not once

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar
    Then emanuel should have been able to train a fighter that could beat him..
    Lol, so true. Too bad Cintron won't be the one for Manny.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Roy Jones Jr. had less people to chose to fight from....granted he didn't fight them either but Floyd has numerous guys to chose from he could have 3 more fights and just destroy this notion that he's not a great fighter.

Floyd has beaten De la Hoya and Hatton and if he was to fight and beat 3 of the following: Cotto, Mosley, Margarito or Williams I would be all in favor of pairing him up with the likes of Ray Leonard.

Right now in my opinion Floyd deserves to be called Great but he isn't above guys like Duran, Robinson, Leonard, Hearns, or Armstrong, Pep in P4P rankings.

The biggest thing Floyd hurt himself with was not unifying any weight class he has set foot in...it's a shame too, we all know he COULD do it but he hasn't even tried to, not once
    The second biggest thing Floyd does to hurt his case is self proclaiming his greatness. He's his own worst P.R. If he would let everyone else say it he would have a lot more people saying. When he says it we argue why he's not.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Emanuel is just angry that Mayweather is as good as he is without Emanuel's style... I mean Emanuel thought him and Roy Jones Jr. weren't ATG's because they don't throw the jab, he has always found reasons for these two to not be ATG's but I think he is full of shit. Personally, I think he is really good at training one type of fighter, but he isn't one of the best overall coaches ever in the sport.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know about all time great yet, but i'm sure floyd isn't a g.o.a.t. for now all i can say is floyd is a great fighter that keeps his career controversial and open for fans to pick apart. if only he would let it all hang and just fight all of the welterweights instead of proclaiming retirement and flashing his money. I don't think floyd has the hunger of all time great, and i'm sure as hell he hasn't showed the courage and heart that g.o.a.t fighters have. floyd is talented but his fights compared to g.o.a.t fighters are just pretty basic. Nothing much to remember historically in his fights, most of them are sparring matches with lesser fighters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is a great fighter but i think he needs to beat cotto to be ranked anywhere near a leonard or duran......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fin
    Floyd is a great fighter but i think he needs to beat cotto to be ranked anywhere near a leonard or duran......
    Til that fight happened then it would be someone else, then someone else so on and so on....
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Til that fight happened then it would be someone else, then someone else so on and so on....
    Seriously. Since when is beating Miguel Cotto the measure of ATG status? Cotto's a good and entertaining fighter, but come on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza
    Seriously. Since when is beating Miguel Cotto the measure of ATG status? Cotto's a good and entertaining fighter, but come on.
    Dude,what the hell is wrong with you?Is Cotto not the best WW on the planet excpet for Floyd? So obviously a fight should be made.Jezz man.That's like Calzaghe not fighting Lacy or Kessler,he would have been hounded. You're usualy a good poster but that is a really silly response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Deuce

Obviously he hasn't heard of Roy Jones then.

Thats not really right, Im not stating anything on Floyd but at middle and supermiddle people ducked the crazy out of roy

And after Mclellan incident and only after that did roy start getting tough with his negotiations

It was always money, He didnt strait out say no i wont fight these guys, If they truely wanted to fight him all they had to do was bring the money because all it was with roy was the risk reward ratio, he wasnt going to risk his life unless he was getting the money he deserved..

if its werent for Gman vs Benn i bet that Roy would be all time p4p king.. But its no use shoulda woulda coulda'ing..

Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Look if he does not clear out welter divison meaning Cotto and Williams then he will alwasy be questioned. Oscar i give him the credit for because he was old but was in a much higher weight then Floyd. But Hatton well how is he a great welter when everyone in the world thought he was bad at the weight after the Colozo fight.

ICB Guest

Won world titles in 5 different weight classes has win's over.

G.Hernandez
    Ricky Hatton
    Oscar De La Hoya
    Jose Luis Castillo x2
    Diego Corrales

How can he not be an ATG ??

Thread Information